Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

My new toys

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-00, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

Well, I got my TV yesterday, and I think for the time being I'm done with my modest setup. I watched a couple of DVDs last night and my jaw is still on the floor.

DVD Player: Toshiba SD-1600. Bought for $199 at Amazon.com entirely with gift certificates. I really like this player; the Spatializer (3-2-2) sound feature is great, and the remote is not nearly as bad as some people are saying. Nice quiet player with great image quality.

TV: Sony Trintron Wega 27" KV-27FS12. $600 at Circuit City. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. A completely (vertically and horizontally) ruler-flat screen. The colors are great and the sound is pretty fantastic. The surrond sound feature is really cool, and if the 16:9 anamorphic squeeze isn't the coolest thing I've ever seen, I don't know what is. And I actually have to search to find the damper wires on the screen (unlike with Sony's classic Trinitrons). The unit looks so cool, too - the grey cabinet really looks sharp. I find myself staring at it all the time.

Interconnects: Monster Cable all the way. Interlink 250 for the Analog audio from the DVD player to the TV, and Video 3 Component Cable for the video.

The sound and video quality is fantastic - I can't believe how great the colors are, and how sharp the picture is. God...the anamorphic squeeze...Sony is ingenious.

I think the Wegas might be the best tube TVs ever created, and I'm not so hurried to get into HDTV yet (though CC has this Phillips one, $3400, that would be part of my dream system).

I'm not sure if I'm going to add some sound hardware; I'm lucky to afford the TV as it was, given that I'm a college student and almost never have any money.

One thing I am looking to add to is a stand for it. Has anyone found a good stand, and affordable (no more than $125 or so) for the KV-27FS12? I'd like something where I can put the DVD player on a shelf behind a glass door inside it.

I'm pretty sure I have the coolest setup in my dorm!

------------------
Ryan Yadsko
http://www.oscarfish.com
http://www.ryanyadsko.com
Old 11-01-00, 07:50 PM
SEH

Congrats on your equipment. I picked out that tv for my folks because I thought it was terrific. Even though it is a lot of money for a 27, I think it was worth it.

Be happy with what you have, but I warn you that you will want to expand you system. I call the "natural cycle of upgrades."

Stephen
Old 11-01-00, 09:55 PM

Congrats on your purchase. I would head back to Circuit City. They usually have a good selection of stands and stuff.

Bo.