DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Home theater mp3 player

Old 10-25-00, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are there any mp3 players other than dvd players yet? I spent 650$ on a dvd player and don't want to replace it with some other model just to have it play Mp3's. I heard DELL was working with another company on a mp3 player but can't find anything about it. I'm looking for something that's either a cd/mp3 player or something like the mp3 jukebox, but that looks good when you add it to a home theater.
Old 10-25-00, 04:21 PM

Yes, it's called "the computer"

Really, in all seriousness though, if you have a lot of mp3s you most likely also have a computer. Why don't you just run a line out from your computer to your stereo/hometheater setup. You'll get far better management of your collection on your computer than you could by any mp3 player, as well as a great deal more storage space. Plus, the cost of these jukebox standalone mp3 players is way out of line. You could buy a cheap computer with a large harddrive and good soundcard and set it up as your "mp3 server" for far less than some of these other products that are coming out. Just my 2 cents...

Old 10-25-00, 05:35 PM

The Dell product was developed in cooperation with S3 (who makes the Rio players). It plugs into a home ethernet or telephone line network ("thin client") and plays MP3's that are stored on a PC somewhere else on the network.

It was supposed to be available in August...

Here's a link for more info:
Dell Digital Audio Receiver

Regards
BB80301
Old 10-26-00, 12:36 PM
jm2
Cool New Member

Have you looked at any of the wireless audio transmitters?

X10.com has one that transmits video and audio at 2.4GHz. Not sure of the quality for video, but I bet it would be fine for MP3s. And at $70, it's pretty cheap. Plus you get a coupon for $30 off your next order.
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk57a.htm

Be careful though...X10 stuff is pretty addictive. =)

(forgot to mention that it connects to your computer)

[This message has been edited by jm2 (edited October 26, 2000).]
Old 10-28-00, 11:16 AM
SS

MP3 is an ok format for audio books or maybe background music but otherwise is an awful format for quality. The sound is terrible. While it's true it is convenient and downloads fast, who cares when it sound like crap.
Old 10-28-00, 10:20 PM

SS--
I've got to disagree with you big time! True, many mp3s are recoreded at sub-Cd quality and don't sound that great, but if you get some good ripping software (I use mp3 producer professional with the Froenhoffer ripper) and record at at least 160 Kbits, you are going to have some pretty great sounding music that will rival CD. The reason most people knock mp3 quality is because most are ripped at 128 Kbit or less to make the files small enough to transfer easily. I rip at 190 Kbit and can tell almost no difference between an mp3 and a cd.
Old 10-28-00, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by SS:
MP3 is an ok format for audio books or maybe background music but otherwise is an awful format for quality. The sound is terrible. While it's true it is convenient and downloads fast, who cares when it sound like crap.

SS

I sugest you look at http://www.audioactive.com

at
Audioactive Production Studio Professional 2.0

In a golden ear audiophile test using this software and a 256K bit rate, not a single member of the panel could tell the difference between MP3 and the original CD.

The problem with MP3 is many do it wrong and do it on the wrong software. What kind of cd rom you let do the rip is a big deal too. Not all DAE quality is the same from cd to cd. Plextor leads the industry in this area.
Old 10-29-00, 10:35 AM
SS

Thanks for the link. I may obtain that software. I makes sense that if you increase the bitrate by several times it would drastically better the quality. We use mp3 as a fast and convenient way to download audio books. We use a rio500 to play them while on walks and such. Music is too expensive to do portable mp3. It would take too long to download at increased bitrate and not hold as much. It sounds like a great system for storing on the hard drive for random playback though. I think that mpeg technology may be the next thing to replace dvd. We download music and videos instead of buying them in a store. May be a few years off but I can see it coming. The compression technology and storage capacity are not there yet. Any opinions on this subject?
Old 10-29-00, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Being a self proclaimed 'golden ear' (ok maybe 'brass ear' ) I find it tough to hear the difference between 192K and 256K using this software and a plextor 8X scsi drive(old drive) to rip.

Yes it takes more space, yes you need a good sound card (like SB live). Desktop hard drive space is cheap and this sounds better than most 'jukebox style' 200 cd tabletop players you could own (their sound usually sucks) and doing MP3 this way gives you much more than a 200 disk capacity.

I think one day the portable mp3 players will have enough ram, cheap enough, for most to use and hold a couple of cds at 256K. One day......

SS - I already download music videos and MOVIES off the net (often before they are released in the theaters or on MTV) The picture quality is not even as good as VHS, but to see a movie before it's official release is worth some sacrifice 1 average movie is about 2.5 hours download time on a cable modem at max compression (.asf format) in a plain .mpg format the quality is about that of vhs, but it takes 3 times longer to download and it is a pain to store.