Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which company handles layer changes the best?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Which company handles layer changes the best?

Old 10-28-00, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have a Toshiba 2108, and the way it handles layer changes is somewhat inconsistent, even for the same movie. Sometimes, it would switch in the middle of a sentence and you're left wondering what was said. Of course, I rewind and then player would switch at a better place. Toshibas are also known for being too sharp, to the point of displaying artifacts. Sonys tend to be soft, and some of their transports are ridiculously noisy (almost like my Dreamcast). How about Pioneer, Marantz, Panasonic, etc. Comments anyone?
Old 10-28-00, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am not sure what you mean by switching at different places. The layer change is in one place on a DVD and the change always occurs at that point. There is no way it can change on a particular DVD.

As far as which player is the best, it is not as straight forward as that. Not only do different models by the same manufacturer behave differently with layer changes but it is also dependant on the DVDs them selves. In other words it depends on how well the DVD has been mastered and where the layer change has been placed on that DVD by the studio.

Going back to the first point the layer change always occurs in the same place. There is no way for it to change everytime you play the DVD.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-28-00, 09:15 PM

cloud:

What I meant by "different places" is the player's inability to switch at EXACTLY the same point on the disc every time. Sometimes it would cut off somebody midway thru a sentence, and other times, you can see and hear the actor finish his lines, and then the player switches. It's still at the same point in the movie, sometimes just 5 seconds too soon.
Old 10-29-00, 01:12 AM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
The player with the best layer change ability to my knowledge is the Apex AD-600A. It eats layer changes for lunch -- they're absolutely imperceptible.

Now I'm not saying get one of them for your main player, just that they are perfect in that one respect.
Old 10-29-00, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lush:
cloud:

What I meant by "different places" is the player's inability to switch at EXACTLY the same point on the disc every time. Sometimes it would cut off somebody midway thru a sentence, and other times, you can see and hear the actor finish his lines, and then the player switches. It's still at the same point in the movie, sometimes just 5 seconds too soon.
<HR>

That should not happen either. Layer changes always occur at the exact same place every time you play a DVD. I have never heard of this happening before.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-29-00, 02:44 AM

my zenith player never changes layers exactly at the same point. toy story 2 for example, sometimes you hear the old guy say woody and sometimes you dont hear it at all