Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

sub recommendations for small room

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

sub recommendations for small room

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-00, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
I’m piecing together a “mid-fi” HT and need some advice. My next purchase was to be a RPTV, the new Tosh 40h80, but I’ve just found out that in order to get it for an awesome deal, I will need to wait a good while (1-2 months after it hits the streets, oof!) This leaves me with a lot of idle time in the meantime and I’m wondering if I should add a small, inexpensive sub (couple hundred bucks) to give me something to play with while I wait for the telly.
My speakers now are Monitor audio... Silver Center 10, L/R main are Silver 9 (a mighty speaker, spec’d down to 30 hz), and for rears I’m using Bronze 1. I also have an HK avr300 receiver and the new tosh 6200 dvd.
Room size is small, less than 12x12. Carpeting. Normal ceiling and 4 walls. Love seat. Not a permanent arrangement. This will be my HT room for approx another 1.5 – 2 years. Not sure at this point what next room will be like. Initially I was figuring the small room size and mighty 9’s would suit all my bass needs (and would add a real nice sub once into the new room) and for stereo music I truly feel it does an excellent job. However, movie explosions and stuff although certainly deep and powerful and *clean*, don’t have that “chest impact” and could probably use some more thump.

So here’s a tough one: Is there a sub that is inexpensive, will not blow down these 4 small walls, yet is of enough quality such that it will complement and not detract from my Silver 9’s? Something cheap and “disposable”? Or Maybe something that I could get one of now and then add a second based on size of next room? Or should I just keep buying DVD’s and hold on the sub?

Sorry if this post was long. Thanks in advance.

Ken Oaster
Old 10-27-00, 09:58 AM

You don't mention your price range, but a good idea would be to spend the money and get a good sub for aroung $5-600. Your main speakers have a good low end so most cheaper subs won't add much to your setup.

Check out www.soundandvisionmag.com for reviews on the HSU Research VTF and Mission subs (comparison of five subs). Both will play deeper then your current speakers, and give you the chest thump you want. The Hsu cost about $500, and I'm sure you can get the Mission for less.

The Hsu TN series is also really good, but cost more. If you happen to have an extra amp lying around it may be a good deal to buy the passive sub and use your own amp.
Old 10-27-00, 09:55 PM

i have heard that the Sunfire is an EXCELLENT sub. But it is pricey.

I have a velodyne and it ROCKS the house.
Old 10-27-00, 11:59 PM

The Mission 700AS (or it's replacement 700ASi) is priced relatively cheap (CDN$550 or US$355 approx.) in Canada. With dealer discounts, it's a great sub at a bargain price. It has a 10 inch woofer with a 100watt amp (150watt amp with the 700ASi). Sizewise, it's about 16"x17"x18", weighing between 35 to 40 pounds.

LFE: 102dB at 25Hz *
Average SPL: 108.1db between 25-62Hz *

* measurements (10% distortion, 2 metres in a large 7500 cu.ft. room) obtained from Tom Nousaine's review in Sound and Vision, May 2000) http://www.soundandvisionmag.com "Bargain Bassment".

Dave

Old 10-28-00, 05:52 PM

As DavidY said, the mission is has a good price/performance. My uncle has one and it is a really awesome sub. You might want to check out the Energy e:xl 8 inch sub, or the 10 inch. I have a relatively small room and decided to go with the e: 12xl sub, because it would go down to about 22hz. The 8 or 10 inch should do just fine. Some other brands you might want to check out are NHT, Infinity, and M&K.