Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need this answered before Fri. when i pick up my receiver

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need this answered before Fri. when i pick up my receiver

Old 10-19-00, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay here is my situation...
I posted something similiar to this a couple days ago, but didnt get the exact answers I needed, so im trying again.. thanx

I am getting my new receiver so I am rearranging my sub placement and things. I went to BB adn of course the guy was about as helpful as a paper cut. Here is what I need help with.
1. I am going from the crossover method to the sub out on my receiver. That is R/L to sub, then sub to R/L on receiver. Of coruse the guy pushed monsther, monster, monsther on me, which I didnt enjoy. I do have some monsther products, but speaker wire is going to be something else.

2. Im thinking of Solutions brand I have solutions brand cable now (18gauge) so I am thinking of sticking with it. I have some very old radioshack 18 on my l/f and center but I will replace it with the Solutions. Should I spend the extra $10 and get 16 gague instead? Im assuming I should, but just wanted to see what you thought.

3. Help me out with the sub problem though, should I still do crossover or should I just go with the LFE out on the sub with a long y connection. I wnated to get 20' solutions and then a y connector for it. And then if I do, which one should I do..the y in the receiver and then two rca cables going to sub, or one rca from receiver then y into sub?

4.What about the cable from recoton? I want to go with solutions, (becuase ive never used anythign else, but they have the 100 foot for like $3 or $12 or something which a lot cheaper then $20 for 50' solutions 16gague

------------------
Duck
Old 10-19-00, 01:22 PM

i work at best buy!!!! ' let me give you my professional (they dont train us for sh!t) response. USE MONSTER CABLE! all OTHER CABLE IS CRAP! Do whatever COSTS MORE! you'll be happier! In all seriousness, monster makes good cable. i use it cuz i get it cheap and cuz i FEEL better having it. solutions makes good cables too and if you dont want to spend the extra money save it up on dvds. I would probably run an rca from the sub-woofer output from the receiver because that is giving you the extra channel which is specifically encoded for BASS. And speaker cables should be changed every few years because the ends oxidize. AT LEAST cut new ends to the wire, but if it is custom cut exactly that might be a problem. I reccommend at least 16 gauge wire. And that recoton 12 gauge cable is awesome. i picked up 4 rolls a few months ago. these are my suggestions from personal experience and not best buy training. feel free to get some other opinions.
Old 10-19-00, 02:24 PM

Radio Shack 12 gauge Megawire is what I would suggest. It is a high quality wire with a lot of shielding and it is oxygen free. Plus it costs much much less then monster wire, and in your system I doubt you will hear any difference anyway. I would however suggest using an RCA cable for your sub from the sub out on your reciever to the LFE in on the sub. I have found this to be the easiest, most cost effective, and best sounding method.
Old 10-19-00, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanx for the help so far...

1. Vwee...are you talking about running two rca cables from sub to a single y connection for the input on receiver? Or just one rca to a y on the sub?

2. Ill look into the radio shack wire...I would order it from Recton but to be honest I dont want to wait to get it (just becasue I had the receiver for one day and it broke the next so I took it back and am gettign the new one shipped tomorrow..you can understand myu frustration..it was my first time with DD lol...anyway..so to save time I was thinking of going with Solutions 16 gague for $20 for 50' or ill look at radioshack...

3. So you know here is my system..

35' Sony trinitron
Sony dvd player (newer one, forgot model)
Yamaha htr-5240 receiver
KLH L/R, center, and surrounds
KLH powered sub

------------------
Duck
Old 10-19-00, 03:25 PM

Duck,
On your sub do you have an LFE in and on your reciever do you have a sub out? If you do then run an RCA cable from the LFE in on the sub to the sub out on your reciever. In my opinion it is the easiest and best sounding method.
Old 10-19-00, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Zen...yes, thats what ill do..in the subs manual it just says connect to the r/mono input on sub, but can I split it with a y connector and connect it to both?

Im probably going to buy some 16 or 14 gague wire from RS or go with the Solutiosn brand..I know, I know there are others, but basically its come down to I get my new Receiver tomorrow (after the first one broek the same day) and Im sick if waiting You understand....Im going from prologic to digital so when I heard it the first night I was pretty impressed..I just want to get back to that

------------------
Duck
Old 10-19-00, 04:38 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Duck:
Zen...yes, thats what ill do..in the subs manual it just says connect to the r/mono input on sub, but can I split it with a y connector and connect it to both?
<HR>

I am not sure about what you're asking. What are you trying to hook up to with the y-adapter? Does your sub have an r/mono and a l/mono? If it does I am curious as to why you seem so anxious to use a y-adapter when the manual says to only hook it up via the r/mono.
Old 10-19-00, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Duck:

Im probably going to buy some 16 or 14 gague wire from RS or go with the Solutiosn brand..I know, I know there are others, but basically its come down to I get my new Receiver tomorrow (after the first one broek the same day) and Im sick if waiting You understand....Im going from prologic to digital so when I heard it the first night I was pretty impressed..I just want to get back to that

<HR>

No you don't use the Y cable. one RCA form the subout out on the receiver to the mono in. Using a Y will not buy you anything. The subwoofer out on the receiver is a mono output, so the connection will be perfect.

How many watts does your receiver want to feed your speakers? If its like 75+ then I would go with the 12 or 14 gauge wire. Generally, the longer the run the the better gauge wire you want to use. (like 12 gauge)
Try your local home store like Home Depot or Lowes. They have speaker wire that I think works great.

Mike
Old 10-19-00, 04:52 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ZenDog:
Radio Shack 12 gauge Megawire is what I would suggest. It is a high quality wire with a lot of shielding and it is oxygen free. Plus it costs much much less then monster wire...<HR>

The Radio Shack cable is not OFC. I
had it, and the entire length oxidized and
turned brown within one year.

Monster cable costs exactly the same (~$1/ft)
and is OFC.

Go with 12AWG Monster.

I have this wire on ~$20K worth of gear, and
have not considered changing it for a second.

------------------
-------
DVD Toolkit | Audio 101 | Stereo411 (The Ultimate Audio Resource!)