Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Auto Format Decode? WTF..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Auto Format Decode? WTF..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-00, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, my Sony 555ES has a feature called "Auto Format Decode", it is supposed to play the movie back , the exact way it was recorded. My question is this, why is it, that a MONO movie(should be the center channel?) comes thru my main(L+R). Also the DD light doesn't light up, even though it says DD on the package....

Anyone know?
Old 10-16-00, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Thunderball:
Ok, my Sony 555ES has a feature called "Auto Format Decode", it is supposed to play the movie back , the exact way it was recorded. My question is this, why is it, that a MONO movie(should be the center channel?) comes thru my main(L+R). Also the DD light doesn't light up, even though it says DD on the package....

Anyone know?
<HR>

Not familiar with the features of Sony Recivers at all, but to answer one of your questions, a mono signal should come out of your left & right main, not the center.

Old 10-16-00, 02:18 PM

I own the 555es also and have read as many threads as I can find on this reciever so I may be able to lend some help. First of all a mono movie is not DD. Dolbly Digital is 5.1 channels not just one. You can most likely choose this in the language section of the dvd menu, but I am not entirely sure about your question. Regardless, you need to stop using the auto format dedoder because there are a few glitches with it. It does not always play the format you wanna hear or are supposed to hear. I would suggest trying out some of the many, and I do stress many, sound fields that come with this reciever. If you are curious about what the actual differences between the excessive amount of sound fields are then simply turn to the manual that came with the reciever. The manual details every sound field and is actually pretty helpful. I'd be happy to answer any of your other questions about this reciever since I have owned it for a few months and know a lot about it.
Old 10-16-00, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not to be nitpicky, but DD can be mono. Dolby Digital is simply a method of encoding sound. DD 5.1 is the most popular configuration, and so is generically called "Dolby Digital", but it is just as easy to have DD 1.0 or 2.0, etc. So, just because a movie is labeled "Dolby Digital" does not mean it will be DD 5.1 full surround sound.

Also, if you'd like to have that mono signal come out of the center channel, you can always switch to Pro-Logic, which sometimes does the trick.
Old 10-16-00, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I have a 935, and the Auto Format Decode works just fine. Every receiver has this. If you are using a digital input, then it can automatically tell if it is DTS signal, DD signal, PCM signal, and how many channels (also works with Pro-Logic 2.0, as long as it is thru the digital input)

Dolby Digital can refer to different things. If you are talking about Dolby Digital in a movie theater, then it is always 5.1 (or 5.0). If you are talking about it in a consumer setup, then it is a compression format, anywhere betweel 1.0 and 5.1. (AC-3 is the proper term)

Mono can come either from the center channel, or from the two mains. It all depends on how it is encoded on the disc. I have seen some mono movies that come only out of the center channel. If this is the case, I simply set the receiver to 2-channel stereo, and not Auto. But most discs have the mon coming out of the mains.
Old 10-16-00, 04:34 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaun3000:
OK, I have a 935, and the Auto Format Decode works just fine. Every receiver has this. If you are using a digital input, then it can automatically tell if it is DTS signal, DD signal, PCM signal, and how many channels (also works with Pro-Logic 2.0, as long as it is thru the digital input)

<HR>

I was not referring to your 935. I was specifically referring to the 555es. There have been problems reported about the Auto Format Decoder on this reciever. The reciever is still able to distinguish between the different types of signals but the auto format decoder will often distort the sound or play a dvd in an odd sound format (i.e. Dolby Digital 2/0 instead of Dolby Digital 3/2). Simply go into the Sound Fields and select a dolby digital sound field other then Auto Format Decoder.

Old 10-16-00, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, ok

Sorry
Old 10-16-00, 06:36 PM
Banned

I have this receiver as well - all I can say is the Auto Format Decoder is not for use with Dolby Digital sources - this is for your tunner, vcr, and other analog sources. I recommend the Sony Cinema Studio Sounds fields. Cinema Studio A is good for any movie. Cinema Studio B is best for action and scifi movies and Cinema Studio C is good for movies with a lot of music tracks. I don't particularlly care for the virtual sound fields, but the Cinema Studio sound fields are great - stick with them you'll be happy.
Old 10-17-00, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks.

I usually do use the Cinema modes. I've had this receiver for 3 months, and I am very happy with it.
The AFD just sounded like it would be a good thing..but I guess not.

Thanks all
Old 10-17-00, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure why the DD light doesn't come on, but some mono movies are left & right (2-channel mono) & some are just center. I haven't really noticed a difference in the 2.
Old 10-17-00, 12:29 PM

I beleive the light only comes on for multi-channel sources ie 5.1
Old 10-17-00, 12:32 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dparker:
I beleive the light only comes on for multi-channel sources ie 5.1<HR>

Correct, it is a muti-channel decoding light

Old 10-17-00, 10:53 PM
Banned

Can I ask what you paid for this receiver and where you bought it. I got mine right when it was released. I love it except for the remote - I notice all the line from SOny ES comes with the touch screen remote as well as a traditional remot and has on screen displays - I wish mine had that and a 6.1 decoding
Old 10-18-00, 01:50 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DPSinPA:
Can I ask what you paid for this receiver and where you bought it. I got mine right when it was released. I love it except for the remote - I notice all the line from SOny ES comes with the touch screen remote as well as a traditional remot and has on screen displays - I wish mine had that and a 6.1 decoding <HR>

I did exactly the opposite. I got my 555es just before the 444es came out. It cost me $600 at this site http://speedandsound.com/index.html. They have excellent prices on many high end home theater equipment.
Old 10-18-00, 05:23 PM

I have a Sony reciever and A.F.D. works great for DD AND DTS. Some mono soundtracks come out of the left and right speakers instead of the center because the people that made the disk coded it to. On others(For example I have The Good, The Bad And The Ugly) the mono sound somes out of just the center speaker. I think most people would rather have a mono sound track come from the left and right than just the center. *Most* peoples left and right speakers are better that their centers. The reason I believe that the blue decoder light doesn't turn blue(On) on DD 1.0(Mono) or DD 2.0(Stereo/Surround) is because you don't need a decoder to listen to them. You can hook up your DVD straight to your TV and the sound comes out fine from DD 1.0 & 2.0 without any decoding necessary. I would also be aware that when you use the Sony cinema modes that it smears the sound from different speakers. For example if your watching a DD 5.1 movie and have the Sony Cinema Sound B set on the reciever it takes some of the sound from the center and outputs it from the Left and right as well giving it a larger sounds stage, but with less channels specific sound. Hope this helps.

------------------
quote:<HR>You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your f**ckin' khakis.
You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.<HR>