Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie receiver question.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie receiver question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-00, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a newbie question I hope the nice people of this board can help answer. We have a DVD player which says "DTS" and "Dolby Digital" on the front. Our receiver is Dolby Pro Logic. I'm trying to convince my wife to upgrade to a better receiver. But, unfortunately, I'm not very good at explaining the difference in the formats. Could someone please assist me?
Old 10-11-00, 01:53 PM

It doesn't sound like she understands or appreciates technology. Instead of explaining, you'll have to demonstrate. Take her to a B&M with a good home theater demonstration room. Have a salesman show her a sound intensive scene on DVD with the digital sound on. (Don't use a scene with gunfire if she doesn't like guns.) Then have him show the same scene using the analog inputs. If that doesn't convince her, I guess you'll have to stop by the jewlery store and butter her up.
Old 10-11-00, 02:21 PM

Oh,she's a big DVD fan, and could probably be convinced without the jewelry (but good thought). I was just wondering if there was some kind of explanation I could give her explaining what the difference is between pro logic and digital. I know the difference, but can't really put it into words, if you know what I mean. Thank for your help, horatiodude.
Old 10-11-00, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try the link below. There are various options at the bottom, one of them is regarding various sound formats.

DVDDaily.co.uk

By the way welcome to DVD Talk.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited October 11, 2000).]
Old 10-12-00, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the link, cloud. That site was very informative. And thanks for the welcome to the site, although I must confess, I'm a looooong time lurker.

Peace.