Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question to all you home theater guru's about hdmi and 3d

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the help you can give me

I have a Sony Str-ks360 SS system going here. I am going to be getting a 3d tv soon. I just have a few questions if I may, since I haven't been able to completely find the answers through an hour of google searches.

From what i can gather the receiver's hdmi output is 1.3, is that sufficient for a 3d signal?

Also, what kind of hdmi cable would I need to carry that signal? I just got a 1.4 since I needed a new one and I know that is fine, but my old cables are 1.3. Will those also carry the 3d well enough to put my ps3 into the receiver?

I just realized that a 1.4 cable isn't going to do me any good unless i go straight to the tv from the ps3 since the receiver is only 1.3 output. I assume if it doesn't support 1.4 then it just won't use the 1.4 features and output 1.3, is that correct?

Will I need to bypass the receiver and go straight from the ps3 to the tv to get any 3d going on it?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the home theater tech out there. Thanks for all the help you can provide.
Old 02-09-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Question to all you home theater guru's about hdmi and 3d

Cables are no longer labeled as 1.3 or 1.4. Any high speed cable should be fine for your 3D needs. Your receiver is probably going to be a problem though. Most likely, it will not be able to pass through the 3D signal and you will need to go straight from the PS3 to your TV via HDMI. If you do that, your best audio option will be limited to the optical output and therefore you will not be able to pass the lossless formats of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA. I am not familiar with the capabilities/limitations of HDMI splitters, so I'm not sure if/how one might help tou here. Maybe someone else could chime in.
Old 02-09-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I was thinking the PS3 couldn't do 3D and lossless at the same time regardless. But I might be off on that. I do know (and as noted), if you go optical (or coaxial I never can remember what the PS3 has) you will not have lossless, but regular ol' lossy 5.1.

Having said that, lossless is a pretty small incremental upgrade in the vast majority of systems. Meaning if your not sporting a pretty high end receiver/speaker set up, I doubt you would hear the difference.

Once you get that nice audio set up, then I'd worry about lossless. In fact, I'd easily argue to stick with higher quality and regular lossy audio than get a crappy set up just to have lossless. As an example, I gave up a nice H/K receiver for a low end Onkyo that had all the new bells and whistles including HDMI/lossless. I actually think I preferred the sound of my H/K. But I like the convenience and set up of the Onkyo...

Oh and order your cables from Monoprice.com
Old 02-09-12, 03:47 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Oh and order your cables from Monoprice.com
I think Amazon's got better prices these days. Especially if you have Prime or use FSSS. You can usually get cheap HDMI cables for around $4, or good cables for around $6-$10.
Old 02-09-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I think Amazon's got better prices these days. Especially if you have Prime or use FSSS. You can usually get cheap HDMI cables for around $4, or good cables for around $6-$10.
There is a quality difference.

I was getting some interference on my PJ and "upgraded" to monoprice and no issues. Course it is a 30ft cable and I got an in wall rated cable, but still. That was enough for me to replace all my cable w/monoprice.
Old 02-09-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I was thinking the PS3 couldn't do 3D and lossless at the same time regardless. But I might be off on that. I do know (and as noted), if you go optical (or coaxial I never can remember what the PS3 has) you will not have lossless, but regular ol' lossy 5.1.
PS3 will output 3D with DTS-HD Master Audio, but not with Dolby TrueHD.

The receiver definitely has to be 3D capable. My receiver is not, so I had to connect the PS3 to the TV directly and use an optical cable. Don't try to fool the PS3 either by setting it to 3D then plugging it into the receiver. You'll get a picture until you play something in 3D. Then you won't see or hear anything, as if it's stalled.

The PS3's outputs for video and audio are HDMI, Optical, and the video adapter plug for either Component video, S-Video or Composite.
Old 03-01-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone know if the Onkyo 705 is 3D compatible. I'm making my theater room now, and was not aware that a receiver needed to be 3D compatible.
Old 03-01-12, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by redbill
Does anyone know if the Onkyo 705 is 3D compatible. I'm making my theater room now, and was not aware that a receiver needed to be 3D compatible.
No, it is not. If it were, it would be a feature listed on this page: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
See this page for receivers that support 3D: http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.c...ource=hdrmenu# If it is, it's listed beside the receiver.
Old 03-01-12, 02:35 PM

I'm in the market for a 3D TV and looking at a Vizio 47" with Theatre 3D. Is there any difference in what they call "Theater 3D" and brands that are also 3D?

This particular model comes with four pair of glasses that are more like polaroid design from the early day movie theatre glasses for 3D except these have plastic frames and fit fine over my regular glasses.

I watched a 3D DVD on my current 47" flatscreen and the glasses that came with the disc were cardboard with red/green lenses. I''m wondering if I did get the Vizio, would they supplied glasses work for the 3D effect?

Thanks for any input.

BTW, Walmart has this Vizio model for something like $798.
Old 03-01-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

^ The red/blue or green glasses only work for the older type of 3D. Those would not work with new 3D, much like they wouldn't work if you took those to a movie theater.

I would assume the glasses that would come with a 3D TV would work with the new 3D; otherwise, what's the point? The glasses that come with the TV should work with 3D content on cable or satellite as well as Blu-ray 3D discs. The glasses that come with the TV shouldn't be red and blue unless someone is trying to rip you off.
Old 03-01-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vizio's Theater 3D is what is known as Passive 3D (LG calls it Cinema 3D) and is similar to what is used in many theaters. The glasses that Vizio gives you are just like the ones most theaters use and in fact if you have kept any from the theaters you can use them with the Vizio. This differs from Panasonic/Sony/Sharp who use Active 3D. Active 3D requires more expensive glasses that have to be able to sync with the display. I won't go into the pros/cons of each type, but they are both able to play the output of your 3D capable cable box or Blu-ray player. The old red/blue or similar type 3D has nothing to do with the modern 3D standard.
Old 03-01-12, 09:34 PM

BSTNFAN, so if I get the Vizio with the passive glasses and watch the 3D DVD (Bloody Valentine 3D) even though the cardboard red/green glasses come with this disc, I'll still get good third dimention effects?

Do all 3D discs all pack the red/green glasses or some have the new format ones?
Old 03-01-12, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Flicker
BSTNFAN, so if I get the Vizio with the passive glasses and watch the 3D DVD (Bloody Valentine 3D) even though the cardboard red/green glasses come with this disc, I'll still get good third dimention effects?

Do all 3D discs all pack the red/green glasses or some have the new format ones?
They are two different types of 3D. If it's the old style 3D, you will have to use the red and green glasses. My Bloody Valentine is available in two versions on Blu-ray. One uses the old 3D. It requires you to use those glasses; the new glasses will not work on it. The other uses the new one; likewise, the old 3D glasses won't work on that. The two formats are not compatible with each other. It's just like you couldn't take the red and green glasses into a theater today and get 3D.

You will want to buy the version with the 3D Blu-ray logo above the title. A good rule of thumb is to avoid the versions that say they come with glasses. None of the titles that use the new 3D will include glasses (unless the old school 3D version is also included, but that's very rare).

Also, the only ways you can use the new 3D would be through a cable or satellite box, 3D Blu-rays and some streaming services. All DVDs use the old 3D. I think the only way you could watch a DVD in the new 3D would be if you have a TV that has an option to convert a picture into 3D. Of course, that won't be true 3D, though.