Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Seeking Comments on Bose Speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Seeking Comments on Bose Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-00, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen a lot of different speaker brands being thrown around, but never seen anyone mention Bose. What do you guys think of their small "cube" speakers? Seems like they try to sell as a "high-end" item, but is it?
Old 10-05-00, 04:55 PM

As far as Bose speakers go, the bottom line is they are one of the most popular speakers out there. However, I feel that they are terrible overpriced. The reason people love Bose so much is because of the tiny size, and the great clarity. But this clarity gets very distorted when you put a lot of power to them. Then they sound terrible. I have a set of the AM 15's, that includes 5 cube speakers and a powered subwoofer. They provide great sound for a bedroom, but for a living room, they just won't do the job. The sub only puts out about 50 or 75 watts, so I had to buy an additional sub (Velodyne FSR-12) to really get the LFE necessary in any HT. Most retailers do not go below the MSRP on these speakers or ever put them on sale.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 10-05-00, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMHO you can get better speakers than Bose in any price range. They sell hype, not great sounding speakers. I use to own a set, I am happy they are gone.
Old 10-05-00, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TROLL BAIT!!!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List
My Home Theater Equipment
Old 10-05-00, 11:55 PM

If you like them then that is all that matters. However, most audiophiles snub their noses at Bose (considered to be mass consumer line of speakers not high end)
Old 10-06-00, 01:18 AM
Cool New Member

I own the lifestyle II 30, I have owned denon and yamaha. Not the cheep models. I was looking for the ultimate sound and on day I walked in on a demonstration. I was thinking that they were overpriced and tiny speakers couldnt hold up to my yamaha rxv-1070, surround sound processor, 15" cerwin vega fronts, polk audio center and rear speakers and klipsch 250 watt 12" sub.

Let me tell you, it was so loud, clear and the base was crisp. I could hear the voice at all times and the system could handle the highs and lows with ease. I fell in love and own one now.

The old system just sits on the family tv now.....

Just my opinion
Old 10-06-00, 08:23 AM

Bose suck. They are made with paper cones and have awful midrange and low end bass. Bose are also way overpriced for what you get. You can get much better speakers for the same amount of money that it would cost to buy bose. They are just horrible.
Old 10-06-00, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Get Klipsch speakers - they'll destroy bose. If you're shopping at Best Buy, get those JVCs or whatever - decent value.
Old 10-06-00, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

NO HIGH's NO LOW's JUST BOSE

Old 10-06-00, 11:26 AM

The can of worms has been re-opened. Go to www.audioreview.com and check out their Hall of Shame. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-06-00, 03:25 PM

I had the AM-15's for a month in my home. While they do sound good and impress because of the size. They don't play certain Freq. or loud enough in a bigger room. They are OK for movies and a little less then OK for music. If your not that picky to what you listen to you will be happy. But if you want a more encompassing experience. Look at something else. I replaced it with an Atlantic Tech. 4.5 System and the difference is night and day. I never knew my CD's sounded so good.
Old 10-06-00, 07:30 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Movie_Man:
I've seen a lot of different speaker brands being thrown around, but never seen anyone mention Bose. What do you guys think of their small "cube" speakers? Seems like they try to sell as a "high-end" item, but is it?<HR>

Bose makes "ok" speakers. The problem with them is that with speakers like the Paradigm Atoms out there, they are very overpriced for what you get.

Old 10-07-00, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$1500 for set of Bose vs. Paradigm, NHT, Atlantic Tech, Energy. I'll take the latter any day of the week.
Old 10-08-00, 04:13 PM

I once owned the AM-15 Bose system. I was
not unhappy with it. It really depends on what you are really looking for. If your family room or living room is average in size
you will find the Bose adequate for most
movies. If you do not generally have your
volume up really loud the Bose do well. If
you live in an apartment and you dont want to
anger your neighbors than the Bose will do just fine. They play surprisingly loud for
their samll size and the boom box is just OK.
However, when I determined I wanted something
with a lttle more ooompph I knew I needed
more conventional speakers. After lots of research I went with Miller and Kreisel THX
750 system at just over 2100.00 The Bose
cost 1300.00 They are ok but cannot begin to
compete in terms of performance with the M &
K. Look around at whats out there and make
yuur decison not so much on what they cost but how they perform for the money. Miller
& Kreisel is renowned for their professional
speaker systems for major studios and movie
mixers. Check out the reveiws on M & K home
theater speakers. You will be impressed and probably won over.
Old 10-08-00, 10:56 PM

The harsh reality: If you're not familiar
with the brands at the following link, and
have not listened to several of them before
making a speaker buying decision, you're
probably not going to get the best sound for
your money:
http://www.goodsound.com/speakers.html

Look in the phone book under "Stereo" to
find stores who sell these brands, bring
your own CDs, and listen, listen, listen.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-00, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best thing I ever got out of my AM-10s was the $600 I sold them for to some sap on E-Bay.
Old 10-10-00, 11:19 AM

Well, as you can see, there are several different view points on Bose speakers and such. The bottom line, as mentioned above, is Bose sells a lot of speakers and systems.

No, they are not the best speakers out there. Can you get better for less? Certainly. And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who works for Bose. The simple fact is is that Bose systems are geared towards the customer who does not want huge speakers taking over his/her living room, family room, or whatever room. If you want the absolute best speaker without concern of size, there are several speakers out that will blow you away.

It's a matter of several of your personal wants:

-Do you want smaller speakers? Does the size of the speakers matter to you?

-How big of an audiophile are you? How much do expect to spend? Can you hear the difference between 18KHz and 22Khz?

-How do they sound to you? This is most important. No one can choose a speaker system for you. You and your ears have to decide.

Bose speakers are some of the smallest speakers (if not the absolute smallest) on the home theater market. They give great sound out of such a small unit. They have years of research into them. And, if bought at a Bose store, they have the BEST garuntee (sp) on the market. So, check out several systems, and make your own decision.

Good luck.

------------------
My Site
Old 10-10-00, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well said Gowron and BosePro.

There definitely are better options for price and there are a couple new options out there I have seen lately on size. You have to decide what is best for you.

That being said, NHT was what I went for in an area where I had size limitations.
Old 10-10-00, 08:10 PM

Bose cannot even compete against Anthony Gallo Acoustics.They are even smaller than the Bose cubes and they come with a REAL subwoofer.They sound superior to Bose in every way.If Bose put half the money they spend in Marketing towards the product they sell,they might be able to compete with other mid level speakers.
Old 10-10-00, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Troll or for real?

Bosepro makes some good points. Look Bose is the number one speaker company in America. The products are very well engineered for what they are. The problem is that the are equivalent to computer speakers that sell for a 10th the price. If Bosepro works there he knows the material cost of one cube is under $5! The marketing machine that is Bose has to be funded. The dealers are given huge margins for each sale (larger than any other company can). This is why the dealers push them. Bose is a huge advertiser and this is why the spade is never called a spade.

My advice is to listen and choose for your self. But understand the marketing up front.