Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

My bulb in my projector is about to go out and I have been kicking around upgrading. I have the panny pt-ae900 which is only 720. And my Lost blu-rays showed up, so obviously a crisis is here. I would like to move up to a 1080 projector.

My current one shows an output of 1100 lumens, and I wouldn't mind stepping that up a bit. The next step up is the pt-ae4000 which is 1080, and is rated at 1600 lumens. I don't like to compare lumens across companies, as they seem to be a bit off, but with the same company it should be okay.

But they also have 3D out now as well. I tend to want the new stuff, but every time I look at 3D stuff at Costco, etc., I am unimpressed. It looks like 2D images hovering over other 2D images instead of actual depth. Will this ultimately improve? Any other projector people here? Any others besides the panasonics that people really like?
Old 01-05-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

I have an Optoma HD66. I was for looking for something on a bit of a budget. It's only 720p but is 3D capable. I realize my model wouldn't be something you'd want since you want to go 1080, but I figured you might find some of my experiences useful. I've been really impressed with its performance so far, especially considering I'm using it outdoors. I got the 3D converter box for Christmas and have been really satisfied with that. Of course, I'm watching on a 8' x 12' screen; I'm sure that helps.

In response to your comment about 2D images hovering over other 2D images, I get what you're saying. I haven't watched too many 3D titles on the projector yet, but I've found it really depends on the title. Avatar in particular really wowed me and my friend. It really did give a great sense of depth. Of course, don't forget to factor in the cost of glasses. Mine requires active glasses, and they'll run you around $70 each, maybe a little more or a little less depending on the brand, etc. You can apparently make my projector work for passive 3D ... you just need to have another projector running with it as well. Uh, not on my budget.
Old 01-05-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd definitely go 3D. It's the way of the future, like it or not, and I can't wait to upgrade to that myself on my front projector. It will be awesome to not only watch 3D movies, but to game, in 3D on a huge screen.
Old 01-05-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Do you think 3D might be a "next time" after this time thing? The 4000 is $1750 and the 7000 is $3,000. I can see it being something some day, but for the cost difference (and the performance deifference otherwise doesn't seem huge) it seems like I might be better off waiting. I don't play games much....or at all really. Just flash stuff while I'm at work.
Old 01-05-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You may want to check out the Optoma HD33 on Amazon. It does 1080p and 3D, and it currently sells for $1,429. I think ProjectorPeople has it for $1,398 right now. Anyway, the customer reviews are very positive. I'm hoping to get it in the coming months.
Old 01-05-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny, I have the AE900 and have been shopping all week. Here's what I've been seeing. First, I recommend this shootout:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...80p_review.htm

Personally, I'm a little gunshy on DLP. I had RBE issues, and the low end models don't usually have the correct lens shift to fit in my room, anyway. Otherwise, the Mitsubishi HC series has really been top of class for years, and it seems the HC4000 is no different.

The AE4000 is on its way out. It has been replaced with the 7000, but is still around, so watch prices closely in the next quarter. In a twist, Panny has also replaced the AX200 with the AR100, but it is almost more like a descendant of the 4000 than the AX series. The AX was brighter, but with lesser picture quality for an HT than the AE series. The AR100 is a light cannon with the same LCDs and most of the same processing as the 7000. It does not have 3D, but is $1500. All through Dec it was $1300 @ Visual Apex, so it's likely something like that price would come around again. I could get into the idea of more light, frankly.

But the one in my cart on Amazon (for a little more consideration) is the Epson 8350. The last 2 years the 8xxx series apparently has had lamp problems (rated for 4000hr, but dying under 1000), which Epson has been pretty good about, replacing for free and extending the warranty. And they claim to have fixed the problem in manufacturing last summer. So, that's a bit disconcerting, but I'm optimistic this is a good deal at $1100, although it's a little too early to hear user reviews of the revised lamps. I have no interest in paying a dime for 3D, I won't avoid it if it's there, but the PJs are pumping prices quite a bit to add it, usually more of an increase than flat panel LCDs.

Epson also has new models very similar to the AR100/AE7000, as usual. (Epson makes Panny's LCD panels) They are the 3010/5010. The lower 3010 does have 3D, which the AR100 doesn't, but it uses lesser panels compared to the other 3 models. What I mean is, the 5010, AR100, AE7000 all have the same exact LCDs, although I think I read the AR100s are only operating at 120 or 240Hz since it isn't 3D.

Still considering....

Last edited by Spiky; 01-05-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-05-12, 07:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I wonder if we'll hear about any new developments at CES next week. I'm in the market for a projector to display on a 12-15 foot screen in my new room.
Old 01-05-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, man. Now I'm looking around again and saw this recommended:
http://www.visualapex.com/Epson/Proj...inema-6500UB-R

Under $1000 for a refurb, but it's a factory refurb with full 2 year warranty. SO Reon-x processing, which beats anything I've got right now. Don't know that the low end projectors with D9 chips (I mentioned above) could compete with a higher end D7 model with quality deinterlacer and FI. But this would almost certainly be a better buy than the 8350 I've been considering.
Old 01-05-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I considered the Optoma, and don't have any issue with rainbows, but it doesn't have lens shift, and with mine mounted on the ceiling, that is a bit of a must for me. I could keystone it to fit, but I don't like the idea of losing resolution. In fact, my first projector was an infocus X1 (I think) that was 800x600 with a single speed color wheel, and I loved the hell out of that.

Here is what I am fighting....
1) I tend to think you get what you pay for and would hate to spend a little less on something and not get the quality of the ae4000 (even though it would likely blow the doors off my ae900)
2) I am a tightass and will continue to ruminate about which one to buy forever.
3) If I purchase it this month, I can do so through my company as a business expense, which would have some tax savings for me.

Oh, let me throw this out there, just in case this makes some difference. I use this for TV, movies, and computer stuff, but rarely play games. I tend to keep it on for 8 hours or so per day, so I can put 3,000 hours on a bulb in a year pretty easily. I tend to not notice the bulb has gotten dim, however, so I don't change them often. I'm willing to find $350 a year for a new bulb because I love tv that much, that this isn't a real concern. Though the tightass in me sees that other bulbs are only $300 and that makes me look at them. I think it is a worse sickness than being a teenage girl who like Twilight
Old 01-05-12, 10:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

What about higher-end? Movie only, 3D not important. I haven't kept up since the JVC/Sony projectors seemed to be the ones to get.
Old 01-05-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

What do you mean by higher end? If you are in the $15,000 range, most everything seems to point to Runco. Othewise, I know I have Home Theater Magazine at work, and they always show their current top 3 for entry, mid, and upper end. I should probably look at it for myself as well.
Old 01-05-12, 11:40 PM
X
Administrator

Around $5K.
Old 01-06-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, presumably "higher end" refers to LCoS? LG now has a model that is selling for just over $2k, I think they took out some fancy (but not absolutely necessary) features like motorized lens to put an LCoS in the range of LCD models. Pretty good reviews. Others are around $3K to start.

It is annoying that similar lamps for Panny and Epson have a $100 difference in price. So, for a nearly identical PJ, the Panny version usually costs more, has shorter lamp life (the recent Epson issues notwithstanding), and the lamp costs more.
Old 01-06-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Home Theater Magazine has as their 3 top midrange picks:
1) Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 9700 UB $3,199
2) Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D SCRD Projector $3,700
3) JVC DLA-X3 3D D-ILA Projector $4,500

They show 2 in their high end top picks:
1) JVC DLA-X7 3D D-ILA Projector $8,000
2) Sony Bravia VPL-VW90ES 3D SXRD $9,999

Given those are MSRPs, a guy might find them a fair amount cheaper.
Old 01-06-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, presumably "higher end" refers to LCoS? LG now has a model that is selling for just over $2k, I think they took out some fancy (but not absolutely necessary) features like motorized lens to put an LCoS in the range of LCD models. Pretty good reviews. Others are around $3K to start.
Reviews for that are pretty dang good. Looks like the biggest issue is that it is almost too bright. But it is 120hz, has lens shift (which I need with my ceiling mount) is only $1,600 and includes a free extra lamp right now.

It is annoying that similar lamps for Panny and Epson have a $100 difference in price. So, for a nearly identical PJ, the Panny version usually costs more, has shorter lamp life (the recent Epson issues notwithstanding), and the lamp costs more.
It is. I assume it is because of their special "red" bulb, which does get awfully good reviews.

Part of the problem I keep running into is the knowledge that I know anything I get will kill what I have, so I don't need the top, but the Panasonics really do seem better for overall color, contrast etc. The 4000 is 100,000:1 while the LG is 35,000:1. But hell, my 900 is 5,500:1 and it blows people away.
Old 01-06-12, 11:38 AM
X
Administrator

I've got to check out some of those LCoS models. That's the technology I've mostly been wanting since seeing a demo of the prototype of the original Sony SXRD. Getting a good one in the $3K range would be very nice.
Old 01-06-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Decent article about comparisons. Looks like the JVC does well. http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080...ctor/index.php
Old 01-06-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, damn. I had discounted that when I saw $2050 or something, but $1600 including a spare lamp makes me think...
Old 01-06-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah. The 4000 is $1749, but you have to mess with a rebate. You'd have to on the free bulb with the LG, but that doesn't bother me. In depth review here http://www.projectorreviews.com/lg/cf181d/index.php I am really close to this one. Looking at ceiling mounts now. My old one isn't heavy enough, I don't think. The 900 is only about 8 pounds and this is closer to 22.
Old 01-06-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah. Even the Epsons I'm looking at are 16#. I would likely need a new mount. The LG is huge, too. Twice as tall as our 900, but I can work around that.

My spare cash shows up the end of this month. Lots of time to have a new favorite every day.
Old 01-06-12, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Spiky
My spare cash shows up the end of this month. Lots of time to have a new favorite every day.
That's why I set my goal on an expensive one. It takes so long to make the right decision, they're not all that expensive anymore. But unfortunately, there's always a new crop to fill the original price tier before I make a decision.
Old 01-06-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

So true.

Well, I just ordered the LG and a ceiling mount from monoprice. The extra bulb is apparently in stock with projector people as well. Cost $5.98 to have them ship it, but at least I don't have to fill out forms, etc. $1604.98 for both delivered.

Ahhhhhh.
Old 01-06-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

See, now you are obligated to give a review to help our shopping.
Old 01-06-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I will. I'm pretty stoked. Been using my PS3 (the original) for blu-ray and rarely used it because the fan sounded like an airplane engine. So I have a new one coming from Amazon as well.
Old 01-06-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I considered the Optoma, and don't have any issue with rainbows, but it doesn't have lens shift, and with mine mounted on the ceiling, that is a bit of a must for me. I could keystone it to fit, but I don't like the idea of losing resolution.
I've never owned a projector but would like one. Could you briefly explain what lens shift is, why it's necessary with a ceiling mount, and what keystone is? My biggest fear is I will buy the wrong projector because I don't know everything I should consider. Thank you!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.