Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just bought my first 3d Panasonic TV. Now need Glasses.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just bought my first 3d Panasonic TV. Now need Glasses.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Just bought my first 3d Panasonic TV. Now need Glasses.

I just picked up the 310, and I sent my rebate in. 8-14 weeks.
Old 01-13-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I just picked up the 310, and I sent my rebate in. 8-14 weeks.
I was expecting it to take a minimum of 6 weeks, but I think I got it in 1, certainly less than 2. I was pretty shocked. I'm not saying you will have the same results; I just figured I'd let you know that it could take a lot less time than what they told you.
Old 01-13-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting, because I followed the Avatar 3D thread on the Blu-ray website's forum and everyone was saying the same thing - sending rebates in.

I didn't have to do that, and I chalk it up to it being set up differently in Canada.

I ordered the television and the Blu-ray was shipped from Best Buy just like any regular purchase was, no rebate or anything like that needed.

If I had bought the TV in one of their stores I would've been able to simply walk out with the disc in hand.
Old 01-19-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well we're looking at getting a new set after Mr Clumsy here accidently damaged our Sony 52" LCD of 2.5 years. And right now if I had to pick one it would be a Panasonic Plasma 3D model.

I'm totally lost in the "Land of 3D Glasses" and like some saw the price of the offical Panasonic 3D glasses I was like....WTF...you're kidding??? Since then I've seen a few other sites that specialize in all sorts of 3D Glasses and contrary to what the B.B salesperson said..."yea..you need Panasonic glasses with the TV"....I found out others will work. The big thing is comfort level and weight. I've got time to read reviews and learn more since we haven't settled on the TV yet.
Old 01-29-12, 03:56 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

What's the deal with the Panasonic glasses? I can't find them in stock anywhere. Are they in-between models? Or do they just not make them quickly enough to meet demand?

Has anyone found a 3rd-party brand that works as well as the official Panasonic glasses?
Old 01-29-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ended up getting some 3Active glasss from Dimensional Optics. I started out going with the Xpland model and then wen with something else and at the last minute said hat the heck; these 3Active Glasses are gettin solid reviews from DLP and Samsung owners so I went with them. they should be here in the next day or so but w don't have any true 3D movies to test on so to give a full review. i might break down and order one of those IMax ones just to give it a go.
Old 02-05-12, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
This is why I went passive and I just completed my own side by side comparison. I'll take passive any day of the week thank you.

Sainsonic has it for the panasonic for $63 sold on Amazon with free shipping.
I'm looking to get a new TV for the Front room this week. I heard this and that about the glass. I also am going with passive glass. No matter where your in my front room your going to face the TV. Plus when I was test out the glass it seem there was problems with the ones that have power to them. No matter what I only need 3 glass and if anyone else wants to watch 3D let them buy/bring their own.

I do need to ask, other then the placing having a problem with their stuff. What is better to get?

BTW ready to hit the order on this TV set, LG Infinia 55LW5600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV
Old 02-05-12, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
This is why I went passive and I just completed my own side by side comparison. I'll take passive any day of the week thank you.

Sainsonic has it for the panasonic for $63 sold on Amazon with free shipping.
I'm looking to get a new TV for the Front room this week. I heard this and that about the glass. I also am going with passive glass. No matter where your in my front room your going to face the TV. Plus when I was test out the glass it seem there was problems with the ones that have power to them. No matter what I only need 3 glass and if anyone else wants to watch 3D let them buy/bring their own.

I do need to ask, other then the placing having a problem with their stuff. What is better to get?

BTW ready to hit the order on this TV set, LG Infinia 55LW5600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED-LCD HDTV
Old 02-07-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I purchased a used pair of Panasonic 3d glasses, and I only tested them out for a few minutes, but I noticed one pretty glaring issue. I sit slightly off center. I also have the center channel right in front of the TV. When I recline my chair, it sometimes loses sync. I think the center channel partially blocks the signal. I had to move my center channel off center so that I wouldn't lose signal. This just seems like an incredibly stupid design on Panasonic's part.
Old 02-07-12, 08:13 PM

I just got the Xpand X103 universal glasses for around $55 from Amazon. They're compatible with the Panasonic Plasmas (I have the ST30).

GOOD - Very easy to set-up. Instructions to sync it with your TV brand are simple. They come with 2 extra batteries, and one already inside. There are 3 nose guards. I just grabbed one and popped it in. The part that wraps around your head is very flexible. I was worried, because normal glasses don't fit well on my giant melon head. But these are very comfortable.

BAD - I wasn't totally crazy with the 3D results. I did a 30 minute preview with both Tangled and Piranha. Some scenes were awesome. Crystal clear with lots of depth. Other scenes seemed a little flat. And some scenes were blurry. Not sure if the problem is the glasses, my set-up, or the movies themselves.

Another problem was glare inside the glasses. Even with all the lights turned out. I was getting a reflection from the plasma light bouncing off the edge of the rims. I tried adjusting the position of the glasses, but couldn't find a good angle that was glare-free. It was annoying. I can look past the glare and see the movie, but it's going to be distracting.

This was my first experience with a 3D TV. And I was really expecting to be blown away. Instead I'm kinda disappointed. Maybe I need to tweak some settings or adjust my viewing environment.
Old 02-08-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Who's wondering that?
Most anyone watching the industry?

Why 3D TV Went From CES Darling to Consumer Reject

I'm right in the wheelhouse of the tech manufacturers and I'm skeptical. Mainly because the glasses are too expense but only too expensive to me given the dearth of content. I'm willing to take the plunge (lame that TVs don't come with them) but it will probably take Hugo to get me there.
Old 02-08-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks BigDave for the review. These were actually my first choice when I ordered my Panasonic 55" GT30 off Amazon. Then the day before I went with the True_Depth and at the last minute changed to the 3Active.

These are my first 3D glasses as well as first 3D set so I really don't have anything to gage off of. That said so far I'm happy and impressed with the 3D and even the 2D>3D conversion. I watched Tangled off Starz and it was actually pretty good in 3D. Then caught TransformersOTM in 3D BR and I thought it kicked butt. I watched both movies in the same day and never had to take the glasses off once during the movies.
Old 02-08-12, 07:43 PM

K&AJones - I might give those a try. Did you notice any of the same problems I had with the Xpands?

How's the size on the 3Active? Are the arms flexible? I need something that'll fit my giant head.

Have you noticed any glare on the lens? Is the 3D image consistent or do you get some blur?
Old 02-08-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The glasses remind and fit like the old style Rayban Wayfarers except slightly wider. The side didn't pinch my ear nor felt heavy and uncomfortable on my nose. I don't recall any reflections. The side panels do their job but they're not totally isolated from light. i wear reading glasses and the 3D glasses bother me less especially on my side and aruound the ear. When I watched the movies the room was probably around 35% normal light or less. They charge in about one hour and no issues between them and the TV. Mine is wall mounted and about 10.5 ft away.
Old 02-14-12, 06:03 PM

I have been noticing a Vizo (?) 47" 3D TV at Warmart with comes with four of no-battery glasses. In watching a display of a 42", I found the glasses fit fine over my regular glasses.

I'm wondering now though about the lack of 3D DVDs available.
Old 02-14-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flicker
I have been noticing a Vizo (?) 47" 3D TV at Warmart with comes with four of no-battery glasses. In watching a display of a 42", I found the glasses fit fine over my regular glasses.

I'm wondering now though about the lack of 3D DVDs available.
I'm sure you mean 3D BD's, right? Best Buy has a bunch in a special section. So does Amazon. I think I've got about 15 or so 3D BD's already... and there's always more coming out.
Old 02-14-12, 07:40 PM

I checked out Best Buy's inventory on-line. Less than fifty and no titles that really turned me on.

But thanks!
Old 02-15-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not just the lackluster catalog of 3D movies but the prices as well. I mean $32-$39....I don't think so. They can sit there and gather ten years of dust for all I care.
Old 02-16-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flicker
I checked out Best Buy's inventory on-line. Less than fifty and no titles that really turned me on.

But thanks!
Which titles were you hoping for?
Old 02-16-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
It's not just the lackluster catalog of 3D movies but the prices as well. I mean $32-$39....I don't think so. They can sit there and gather ten years of dust for all I care.
True, there are some stinkers, but I think there are a few decent titles. And some make for a good 3D flick because they totally milk the gimmick with lots of stuff being thrown at the camera (like Final Destination 3D). 'Course, you have to like that kind of thing. But I agree that $30+ for one movie is insane. I don't pay those prices. If you wait for sales, you can usually find them at more reasonable prices. Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about... BB recently had a bunch of 3D BD's on sale. I think their regular price for Final Destination 3D was $42.99, but I picked it up for $19.99. Their regular price for Bolt 3D was $39.99. They put it on sale for $29.99, but I ended up getting it at Costco for $24.99.
Old 02-16-12, 10:28 PM

Barnes & Noble is having a 50% Off Sale on Kids DVDs. There's a lot of 3D Blu titles. There's some 20% Off coupons in the B&N thread in the DVD Bargains forum.

Toy Story Trilogy 3D - $50
Lion King Trilogy 3D - $50
Toy Story 1, 2 & 3 3D - $25 each
Tangled 3D - $25
Rio 3D - $25
Beauty & The Beast 3D - $25
Nightmare Before Christmas 3D - $25
Alice In Wonderland 3D - $25
Cars 2 3D - $25
Bolt 3D - $25
Coraline 3D - $25
Gnomeo & Juliet 3D - $25
Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs 3D - $25
Monster House 3D - $23
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 3D - $23
Open Season 3D - $23
Polar Express 3D - $22.50
G-Force 3D - $22.50
Yogi Bear 3D - $22.50
Meet The Robinsons 3D - $22.50
Chicken Little 3D - $22.50
Hoodwinked Too 3D - $20
Old 02-17-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

^ I'm just too cheap. I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on any of those.
Old 02-22-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the plunge. I sold something on eBay at a ridiculous profit and used that money to buy 3 sets of glasses from Monoprice. I then pre-ordered Hugo 3D for $27.99.

Why can't I find Avatar 3D? Didn't that come out a while ago?
Old 02-22-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Why can't I find Avatar 3D? Didn't that come out a while ago?
It's a bundled Panasonic exclusive. Supposedly the agreement ends this month, but a stand alone release has not been announced.
Old 02-23-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eddie W
It's a bundled Panasonic exclusive. Supposedly the agreement ends this month, but a stand alone release has not been announced.

Still waiting on word on when mine is being shipped. I sent the coupon in for the "Free 3D" version when I bought the Panasonic BDT210 BR Player. Word is it takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks. The sad part is you send the stuff in to Memphis TN to a PO Box and I live in Nashville. There's probably one person who goes by once a week and gets the mail and it's probably other offers as well involved so that's why it takes so long.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.