DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

TV set up question

Old 06-22-11, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV set up question

So Im in the market for a new TV and not sure if I want to go 3D or not. However the wife and I are moving into an apt that has a gas fireplace with no good place for a tv...each living room wall has windows. Is it a good idea to hang above the fireplace or will the heat affect the tv

Thanks for the help
Old 06-23-11, 07:45 AM

Re: TV set up question

There will be more heat than usual, but just how much is hard to say. Heat and electronics don't mix very well. Some designer on HGTV hung a tv on the wall, a few years ago, and now everyone wants to do it. It has a 'cool' factor to it.

The ideal position for a tv is for the center of the screen to be at eye level, while you're sitting down. Some will argue that you can tilt the screen down, so your sight path is straight to the center. After awhile, it could bother your neck, with the constant looking up. Of course, if it's a big screen, and you're sitting 20 ft. away, you won't be looking up quite as bad. Do you still sit on the front row at the theater?

If it was me, I'd get one of those stands that has the wall mount thing mounted on the back, and put it in front of one of the windows. One like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Whalen+F...&skuId=2405078 or this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bell%27O...&skuId=9245195 (depending on how much surround gear you have) The windows have blinds or curtains, right? If you're going to have surround sound too, you'll also need someplace for that equipment. This type of stand is great for that too. Plus you don't have to worry about running wires through the walls, because your wife doesn't want to see them running up the wall. The stand will be much easier to get to if the need arises. Rearranging furniture in the room will still be an option, using the stand. Not so much with tv on the wall with wires in the wall.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by emoxley; 06-23-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-23-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a couple other threads about hanging TV's over a fireplace. I personally think it is visually striking when walking into a room but is crappy trying to watch the thing. Everything you read says the TV should be eye height
Old 06-23-11, 03:44 PM
Banned

Thanks for the input. I would rather have it eye level.