Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need new remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Need new remote

Looking into (basically in the window shopping phase right now) a new remote.
I currently have a Logitech Harmony 676 that I love. However, due possibly to regular wear and tear, and possibly to user damage (it was lying on my chest, the dog jumped on the sofa, the remote flipped off and landed face down on the floor), the backlight doesn't, well, light, and the OFF button takes hitting just in the right place to work.

So it's still usable, but it's sort of a pain.

Anyway - are Logitech still the best for ease of use? I like the activity buttons, and I like the online setup (although I haven't logged on in quite some time).

I have 5, maybe 6 devices currently that it would control.
Are the current lowend models the 650, 700 and One? Right now the 700 is only a few bucks more than the 650 on Amazon, so that one has my attention. I think I like the built in rechargeable battery, however, I've seen conflicting reports on whether or not the remote retains its memory if the battery dies. Also, is the battery built in and nonuserreplaceable, like an ipod battery? If so, what's it's expected life span, or replacement method?

Is there another brand or model that offers functionality similar to the Logitech, for around 100 bucks?
Old 04-21-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need new remote

Step 1 should be calling Logitech and seeing if they'll hook you up with a replacement. I've read a lot of crazy stories that end that way that start pretty similar to yours.
Old 04-22-11, 08:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If youi like your remote a lot, then I would suggest the same as stevet, contact Logitech and see if they can do anything about it. I have a Harmony One, and last year the battery started to drain really quick. Turns out it was a battery default and they sent me a new remote. You never know how they may help with yours.

If not, I'd recommend a Harmony One. As far as I know, Logitech remotes are still tops in terms of universal remotes, especially when trying to use it in place of 5-6 remotes. Or 8 in my case.
Old 04-24-11, 05:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 939 Likes on 787 Posts

though it is OOP, you can still get and i am on my 2<sup>nd</sup>, the Universal Remote MX-500. just love it and can control up to 10 devices all learning, but can also be pre-programmed. simply adore this remote for the past 10 years, maybe a little less. amazon and eBay have it for a lot less than it used to be just a few months ago.

Amazon
eBay

Old 04-26-11, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another fan of the Harmony One here.
Old 04-26-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have a Harmony One and like it but I had another Harmony that quit, called Logitech and they sent me a brand new one, free. Good company!
Old 04-26-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
though it is OOP, you can still get and i am on my 2<sup>nd</sup>, the Universal Remote MX-500. just love it and can control up to 10 devices all learning, but can also be pre-programmed. simply adore this remote for the past 10 years, maybe a little less. amazon and eBay have it for a lot less than it used to be just a few months ago.

Amazon
eBay

Good call Scott I used to work in Hi-End home and business theater systems and this is by far one of the best remotes I've EVER worked with. Sure its not a fancy touch screen but I like using my remotes one handed and this is sooooo easy to use. One its programed it will hold the programing for 10 years without the batteries. I own two.

PS you can get the MX-500 on Amazon for $115