Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

NEW RPTV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-00, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking into purchasing my first RP TV...Probably no larger than 50 inches...AM i wasting money if i choose to buy one that is NOT digital ready? Id really liek to spend less than 2000! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 09-15-00, 07:32 PM

What a coincident ! I am shopping for my first RPTV as well. I initially looked for the 55" Toshiba, found them at Best Buy for 1799 but at Ward is only 1279. Can you beleive that ? However, Best Buy has a free recliner, ottoman, and free delivery. Also, their maintenance price is about 150 cheaper.
But we found that it is not HD ready ... so we are stil looking ... The lowest HD ready we can find is Hitachi, I don't remember the size (about 50) 2199 at CC.
Old 09-15-00, 08:05 PM

Toshiba's TW40X81 is a beautiful tv for the price. It is a 40inch wide screen projection tv that is HD ready. You can find this tv for about $2100 at many online stores. I have seen it and it looks great. The picture quality is unbelievable when component video is used with dvd. I highly suggest checking it out as you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-15-00, 08:29 PM

ZenDog, I check buy.com and 800.com but cannot find the TW40X81. Can you tell me where can I go and check it out ?
BTW, I heard that by 2006, they will go digital totally right ?
Old 09-15-00, 09:07 PM

I found the TW40X81 at Bestbuy.com but for 2499, free shipping ... out of my range :-)
I did find the Samsung 53" HD ready PCK5315RX for 1999. Is it any good ?
Old 09-17-00, 07:24 AM

It is true that by 2006 all tv will be broadcast in HD. I wouldn't look for the Toshiba at Besy Buy since most other online companies are just plain cheaper. One of the best prices I've seen is at Car Audio/Video Systems. Here is the link to their site: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/caraudiovideo/index.html
The tv is 2250 with free shipping. It is a little over 2000 but in my opinion it is well worth it. Invest in something nice and it will pay off. To answer your question about the Samsung, I personally feel Samsung's are very shitty except for their high end stuff. This is only my opinion but I would suggest seeing both in person and you making the call. It would also be a good investment to purchase a widescreen tv because several years down the road all tv will be broadcast in widescreen format.
Old 09-17-00, 03:37 PM

Man, I wish I could wait but thanks ZenDog. I took my wife to Best Buy yesterday (the last day that they give away free recliner and ottoman and free shipping) and we got a Sony 43" instead for 1519 + 150 (tax) + 250 (4 year performance guaranty). The reason we bought this model because it's Sony (instead of the bigger screen) and it doesn't require a protector screen (which cost about another 150). The picture look decent to me (at least in the store). Anyway, I have to look for some monster cables and probably have to upgrade my DVD to have component output (the guy in the store suggest it). Any suggestion ? (this time I will wait for it). Also, I have Direct TV, so will it make a lot more different if I used those expensive cable ?
Old 09-17-00, 06:28 PM

Sony is a good brand so I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I am curious to what the model number is. To answer your questions about cables, don't buy Monster Cables. They are way overpriced and you can get the same thing for more then half the price at your local Radio Shack. Do you currently have S-Video on your DVD? If you do it is not really neccesary to go for the component video. It is unlikely you will notice much of a difference. If you are set on getting a DVD player with component video then simply buy a set of gold audio/video cables from radio shack. They will do everything that an expensive set of component video cables can do. I am pretty sure that direct tv doesn't support component video cables but I would check with someone else first.
Old 09-17-00, 07:05 PM

The model is KP43T75. I do have S-video output on my DVD. I will stop by RadioShack sometime next week. Thanks ZenDog. Appreciate your info.
Old 09-18-00, 04:20 AM

About this HD-only broadcast by 2006:

What about for Canada?
Old 09-18-00, 12:34 PM

This is a US regulation that has been set forth. It should have no impact on Canada although sooner or later I am sure Canada will move to HD only broadcasts.
Old 09-19-00, 02:58 PM

So, is the advice here to only get hdtv set?

I, too, have been looking for a RPTV lately. Budgeted about 2k for a 53" or so. Really liked the Sony and hitachi offerings. My problem with HDTV is that I'm looking at at least another 1-2k for 50" or larger. Is the difference really that amazing? I'm not getting a dish, so my viewing will be mostly cable TV, DVDs and some VHS.

Thoughts, please!! I'm getting ready to buy soon. (btw: I have and will continue to look for myself, but store conditions make comparsions tough--your collective real life experiences will help) Also, any thoughts on the Sony kp53v85 or Hitachi 53Sbx01b, would also be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-19-00, 03:52 PM

Well I would suggest getting a RPTV that is HD ready so you will be prepared when television goes to HD. This way you will not be shelling out another couple thousand to purchase a new set in 2006. The difference is more then amazing it is sick. On the nicer HD sets you feel like you are in the movies. I really can't explain to you how good the picture it, is really something you need to see for yourself. Are you more concerned with the size of the set or the picture quality? You can get good RPTVs that are HD ready for 2000k so look a little harder. Personally I am a big widescreen fan and will just have to wait a few years to save for a widescreen high definition tv. If I were you there is no doubt in my mine I would invest in a HD ready RPTV there is just no comparison.
Old 09-19-00, 05:29 PM

My KP43T75 arrived today and it is wonderful. I haven't done anything special yet ... just hook it up to my Direct TV and it is wonderful !
I totally agree with ZenDog even I didn't get a HD Ready TV this time (budget constraint). The Sony I got look good enought to me, it have some kind of glass-like built-in in place of a screen protector. However, when compare with the HD Ready TV you can see the different right away but to me when I am about 6 ft away from the screen, it looks the same to me (maybe because I don't have my glass with me at the time). Like he said, you got to look for yourself and consider the difference. If you shop B&M stores, the cheapest HD Ready you can find is Samsung (BB < 2000). All others are > 2000. Check out Circuit City, they cary Hitachi and have them for 2199, I forgot the model. This week, I saw Best Buy has some price reduction on other HD Ready too about 2499 for Panasonic and some other models.
Thanks for all the help, you guy. I will go to Radio Shack for some cable tomorro !
Old 09-21-00, 04:08 PM
Banned

So.....Im still confused...I can get a samguns 53" hd rptv for 2099...should i hold off? i mean samsung isnt as good as pioneer elite, but its not total crap? Is it?