Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just need a set of rear speakers now

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Just need a set of rear speakers now

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-00, 06:11 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just about finished shopping for my home theater. I have a pair of Infinity RS8's, Infinity Video 1 center, will have an Onkyo 575x receiver, and pioneer dvd player. (I also have an Aiwa sub I'll be replacing when I get the money).

I would like to stick with Infinity rear speakers to match the rest of my setup, but I'd be willing to go with another brand if the sound matches. My room setup requires I mount the rear speakers on the wall behind the listening area, and with my old setup the sound was best with the speakers mounted 3' above the listening area, facing each other. These were unipolar speakers.

For my room, would I be best to stick with unipolar speakers, or would the sound be improved with bipolar? The extra face of speakers wouldn't be able to reflect off a side wall, as the room is large.

Another concern I have is the size of the speakers. I think bookshelf speakers might be larger than I'd like. Are there any small speakers which would provide good sound? I don't want poor sound but the rear speakers aren't as important to me as the others. Any recommendations in Infinity or other brands?
Old 09-19-00, 08:45 PM

I would definately go with matching speakers from Infinity.
There are lots of people that say front matching is the most important and that rear matching isn't as important. Well, I use to have non-matching surrounds and it was really distracting. You want that feeling of envelopment and smoothness around all speakers and not be distracted when the sound pans from front to back and it sounds different.
Old 09-19-00, 08:45 PM

I would definately go with matching speakers from Infinity.
There are lots of people that say front matching is the most important and that rear matching isn't as important. Well, I use to have non-matching surrounds and it was really distracting. You want that feeling of envelopment and smoothness around all speakers and not be distracted when the sound pans from front to back and it sounds different.
Old 09-19-00, 09:31 PM

I got the klipch quintets for surrounds on ubid for 100 bucks shipped. I highly recommend them, they sound great, and you can mount them on a wall.....

Bill
Old 09-20-00, 12:58 AM
Cool New Member

I'm always watching UBid and these speakers seem nice, but I've heard mixed things. One thing I heard is that they have a "harsh" sound, which wouldn't mix well with the "warm" sound of my main speakers and center. How would you describe the quintets?