Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Distortion on left channel...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 03:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I have my own home-made home theater arrangement (53" WS HDTV Projection Monitor, Nikko NR-1000 65W/channel 2-channel stereo receiver [mfg'd 1981], 2-40" Sony tower speakers spread wide [to work with the speakers in the TV], a Sony DVD/VCR combo, along with my turntable & cassette deck), sounds pretty good for our needs. But lately we've been getting some distortion on the left channel while watching some DVDs. Swapped the speakers, distortion is still on the left channel, which would seem to indicate it's not a problem with the speakers. Throw an album on the turntable, sounds great both channels, turn on the TV, regular broadcasts sound good, although we don't usually watch regular TV through the receiver. Start watching a DVD with the volume cranked, distortion on the left channel on the loud bassy booming sounds.

I had the receiver worked on a couple of years ago, it had been in storage for several years, the 10 second system check (for lack of the correct terminology) apparently decided there was something wrong with the circuitry and wouldn't allow the amp to kick in. They fixed it up just fine and it worked very well for awhile. About a year ago we started getting distortion in the left channel, but I don't remember if it was while listening to music or watching DVDs, my memory isn't what it used to be. At any rate the distortion just stopped (for some reason) and we were getting crystal clear sound again until just a couple of months ago. Now, it only distorts on certain tones (deep bassy loud), and it seems to be confined to just DVDs (although I've only preliminarily tested this theory with regular TV and albums).

I'm using some pretty heavy duty Monster AV cables to connect the TV to DVD/VCR to receiver, and some pretty heavy guage speaker wires (I've ruled out speakers/wires as the culprit, albums/TV sound fine). I've tried reseating the AV cables, I don't know what else to do. I thought about upgrading the receiver to an Onkyo TX-8555 (don't have any use for 5.1 or 7.1 channel), but that's (currently) $230 (on sale) I'd rather not spend on a component that may not be the root of the problem. Maybe it's the DVD/VCR wigging out, I don't know. All I know is it's driving me buggy, and in the process driving my wife buggy while I try to figure it out. I don't have a whole lot of $$$ to throw around needlessly. I'd say it has to be either the receiver not being able to cope with the range of audio in DVDs (in which case why is the distortion only on the left channel), or maybe the audio capabilities of the DVD/VCR are on their way out, I wish I knew.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, -kd5-
Old 03-08-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Distortion on left channel...

Do you have a subwoofer?
Old 03-08-11, 05:55 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

No, just the 2 towers along with the speakers in the TV. -kd5-
Old 03-08-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try swapping inputs if possible, like between the cassette and DVDp. That may tell you if it is just the one input on the receiver, or indicate if it is the DVD player. You could also try another DVD player, from a friend or something.

Find a scene in a movie that presents the problem, and always use that same spot for the testing.

It may very well be that the receiver has lost ability to cope with the range, but I'm sure it had it originally.

For the brands that offer receivers under $300, I would probably start with Harmon Kardon. They're ugly, but they tend to have really nice amps for the price.
Old 03-08-11, 08:09 PM

Since your receiver is only 65 watts per channel, you may not be able to listen to it at a high volume, without getting distortion, especially with movie soundtracks. You've stated that your receiver is 28 years old, which indicates its not Dolby Digital, nor DTS 5.1 compatible. 5.1 movie soundtracks are quite powerful, and your receiver is unable to handle full range multi-channel soundtracks. I recommend you to buy an inexpensive receiver within your budget.
Old 03-08-11, 09:04 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
Try swapping inputs if possible, like between the cassette and DVDp. That may tell you if it is just the one input on the receiver, or indicate if it is the DVD player. You could also try another DVD player, from a friend or something.

Find a scene in a movie that presents the problem, and always use that same spot for the testing.

It may very well be that the receiver has lost ability to cope with the range, but I'm sure it had it originally.

For the brands that offer receivers under $300, I would probably start with Harmon Kardon. They're ugly, but they tend to have really nice amps for the price.
I wish I could try another input but unfortunately this is the only aux I can use, the Tape inputs are both 4 plugs (input & output, R & L channels), the only other with 2 is Phono. Also, unfortunately, we don't socialize much so we don't have friends we could borrow another DVD player from. Don't know if the neighbors would lend us theirs, we really don't know each other that well.

Originally Posted by slimdude
Since your receiver is only 65 watts per channel, you may not be able to listen to it at a high volume, without getting distortion, especially with movie soundtracks. You've stated that your receiver is 28 years old, which indicates its not Dolby Digital, nor DTS 5.1 compatible. 5.1 movie soundtracks are quite powerful, and your receiver is unable to handle full range multi-channel soundtracks. I recommend you to buy an inexpensive receiver within your budget.
I was wondering about that, which reinforces my original thoughts about upgrading the receiver. Harmon Kardon is a respected name, but I was looking at the Onkyo TX-8555 for $230, it has everything I'll need, 100Watts/channel RMS, and a phono jack for my turntable, it's only 2-channel stereo but that's all I need, don't have a surround system, neither my wife nor I are interested in all those speakers all over the place. These 2 towers sound GOOD in conjunction with the speakers from the TV (Pioneer did a pretty good job there).

I was hoping this could be a simple fix but it looks like I'm going to have to shell out the big bucks after all.

If anyone else has any ideas, I sure would appreciate them. Thanks everyone who's offered help, -kd5-
Old 03-08-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can use the Tape input, the output connection doesn't matter. Don't use the phono, because I'm guessing that is tuned differently for a turntable's needs.

This is why you should always keep at least one techy friend around. Ooh, that reminds me, I'm supposed to dig up a CAT5 cable for my cousin.
Old 03-08-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a bad input to me. Like Spiky said you can use the input for tape to plug the DVD player into. Either way, dont you think it's time to upgrade your receiver? I've never heard of the Nikko brand before. Is it some kind of top of the line equipment that youve been using for almost 30 years?
Old 03-09-11, 07:24 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

You can use the Tape input, the output connection doesn't matter. Don't use the phono, because I'm guessing that is tuned differently for a turntable's needs.

This is why you should always keep at least one techy friend around. Ooh, that reminds me, I'm supposed to dig up a CAT5 cable for my cousin.
Plugged the leads into the tape input jacks, same distortion on the left channel. Using Fringe (S2) as my test DVD(s), which have some pretty deep bassy sounds in it (and are responsible for alot of the distortion I hate) and I like to crank it up (3.25 on my Nikko is loud enough thankyouverymuch) so I can get the movie theater feel () Same crackly distortion on the left channel.

Thanks for your techy help... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 03-09-11 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 07:29 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Sounds like a bad input to me. Like Spiky said you can use the input for tape to plug the DVD player into. Either way, dont you think it's time to upgrade your receiver? I've never heard of the Nikko brand before. Is it some kind of top of the line equipment that youve been using for almost 30 years?
At one time Nikko was a well respected name for quality audio components, now nobody has even heard of them...

At any rate, I'm leaning towards a new receiver:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../onkyo-tx-8555

That is, if you guys are convinced it's the receiver that's at the root of the problem.....

Thanks everyone, -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 03-09-11 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
At one time Nikko was a well respected name for quality audio components, now nobody has even heard of them...

At any rate, I'm leaning towards a new receiver:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../onkyo-tx-8555

That is, if you guys are convinced it's the receiver that's at the root of the problem.....

Thanks everyone, -kd5-
Must be the DVD player. Switch the right and left outputs of your DVD player on your receiver. If you get distorstion (now coming from the OTHER speaker) then its the DVD player.
Old 03-09-11, 09:19 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Swapped right/left DVD inputs on the receiver, distortion still comes from the left channel. Also, my wife remembers hearing the distortion (the last time we were flipping through channels on the TV testing this) on Family Guy. Since the DVD player is off while we're watching TV, I would venture to guess that if it's anything, it's the receiver (at least I've pretty much convinced myself it is, maybe I'm wrong...). -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 03-09-11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-09-11, 03:46 PM

Considering the age of the receiver, and you've already had it repaired once before, it wouldn't be worth the cost to have it repaired again because, you'll be paying more to have it fix, then what the receiver is worth. It lasted for 30 years, so you've got your money's worth out of it, and more. You are long overdue for an upgrade! When you purchase your new receiver, and listen to it, you are going to asked yourself: Why did I take so long?
Old 03-09-11, 04:14 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably right. It's just that older electronics typically beat the snot out of newer stuff as far as quality/longevity is concerned, this receiver has been good to me for a very long time, I kind of hate to kick it to the curb. It plays my albums beautifully, it just doesn't do so well with DVDs.

Dammit.

Oh well, I guess if I have to, I have to. -kd5-
Old 03-09-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it also used as your radio tuner? If so, I'd keep it as it probably has better frequency signal-to-noise than a newer one.
Old 03-09-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or just shop C Crane for a tuner.

How much do you want to spend? There are quality components still made. One high-quality stereo receiver I know of is $700.
Old 03-10-11, 07:27 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

The Onkyo receiver I linked to above is on sale for $230 (from $350) which is really more than I want to spend right now, but since I refuse to buy junk, it's what I'll probably end up getting. It's one of the few receivers that still have a phono jack, it's 2-channel which is all I need, it's 100W/channel which should handle DVD audio adequately (amongst the other features listed in the link), and it gets good reviews from everyone who's purchased it.

JRComputerWorld:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_gi2M3ixw

$700 is WAY out of my price range, but I appreciate the thought... -kd5-
Old 03-10-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDs really aren't that special for audio. Not even bluray is. I think your only problem is damage from age, perhaps in certain frequencies. That Onkyo should be just fine.
Old 03-10-11, 05:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered the Onkyo this morning, should have it Monday. Can't wait... -kd5-
Old 03-10-11, 05:52 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

DVDs really aren't that special for audio.
I gotta tell ya, if it wasn't for the distortion I was getting on the left channel, this Nikko kicked ASS with delivering room rumbling yet clean sounding audio with DVDs on my setup. I can only hope the Onkyo does as well. -kd5-
Old 03-11-11, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
I gotta tell ya, if it wasn't for the distortion I was getting on the left channel, this Nikko kicked ASS with delivering room rumbling yet clean sounding audio with DVDs on my setup. I can only hope the Onkyo does as well. -kd5-
Congratulations, you've made a good choice! Coincidentally, my very first receiver that I purchase was an Onkyo years ago, and It was a good receiver. The reason why I upgraded was because It wasn't equipped with Dolby Digital, and DTS decoders. Personally, I'm a audiophile, and an home theater enthusiast! Audio engrosses me into the movie, more than the video. I guarantee, you won't be disappointed with its performance of the Onkyo. You can still keep your Nikko, and use it as a secondary receiver in another room, or to play music outdoors, when you're hosting social family gatherings in the yard. Let us know how you like your new receiver after it arrives. I can't wait!
Old 03-11-11, 09:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

The Onkyo arrived today (Vann's is QUICK!), got everything connected, cranked it up with a DVD, sounds good, no more crackle in the left channel, good bass response, maybe it's just me but it doesn't sound quite as clean as the Nikko did but it could just be my imagination. I'm an audiophile too, have 470 (or so) LPs, been collecting them since the 70's, take good care of them. Haven't listened to one on the new receiver yet but I will in good time. It's good to have finally upgraded, I have yet to play around with all the new features but I will. -kd5-
Old 03-11-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Despite what the box says about watts, it is entirely possible that the Onkyo has less power than your old receiver. If you want the depth back, save up for this: http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm
Old 03-12-11, 07:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

$389...

I might have to hold off on that...

With my Nikko, I could only ever plug my turntable, cassette deck, and audio cables from the TV into the receiver, didn't really have a need to do it any other way. Now I have the ability to run RGB and/or A/V cables between the receiver and DVD/VCR (currently they're running between the DVD/VCR and TV) and I'm wondering if it would even be worth it to re-route everything through the receiver. Would there be any advantage at all to run the DVD player through the receiver as opposed to the current arrangement?

Edit: Just swapped the R/L audio cable I had running between the TV and receiver for an A/V cable (my only spare), I have no idea what (if any) advantage I just gained (or not) by doing that.

I think if I tried to run the RGB or A/V cables from the TV through the receiver first then out to all components I'd have to spring for more cables although I won't swear to it. For now I think I'm going to leave it as it is now... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 03-12-11 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-12-11, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
The Onkyo arrived today (Vann's is QUICK!), got everything connected, cranked it up with a DVD, sounds good, no more crackle in the left channel, good bass response, maybe it's just me but it doesn't sound quite as clean as the Nikko did but it could just be my imagination. I have yet to play around with all the new features but I will. -kd5-
Glad you like your receiver! After you calibrate your controls, the sound will be improve, and match equally to the Nikko. It's going to sound a little different, compared to the Nikko after listening to the Nikko for 30 years, and you have become accustomed to the tonality of the Nikko, but you'll get use to the Onkyo very quickly. The Onkyo has received many good reviews from various of online consumers, who had purchased this model, and they were extremely satisfied with its performance, especially for a standard, entry level A/V receiver. You can't beat it! And yes, Vann's does provide very good service because, I've ordered a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers from them, and I got them within the next 4 business days. I would have received them sooner, but I order the speakers during the Christmas season, and all deliveries were delayed due to the high volume of packages from all postal services.

Originally Posted by kd5

I'm wondering if it would even be worth it to re-route everything through the receiver. Would there be any advantage at all to run the DVD player through the receiver as opposed to the current arrangement?
Whichever is less complicated for you! If you connect all components into the receiver, you will have to have the receiver turned on to amplified the audio on your DVD/VCR Combo, as opposed to have it connected direct into the TV. Your current connections are suitable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.