Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is there is difference in 100Hz LED TV?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-14-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to get a new LED TV.Right now I am living in Berlin.And the best selling TV here is LG or Samsung.I like the Toshiba model but the Salesman told me the 100Hz TV which Toshiba sell here are not as good as Samsung 100Hz TV's.
Is there such thing?
Old 02-14-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Is there is difference in 100Hz LED TV?

I don't know what that means. There are 60hz, 120hz and 240hz models, at least with regard to refresh rate. If it's lower then they tend to have a more difficult time keeping up with smooth pictures (not to say they can't).

Regardless, the salesman apperas to be making a subjective statement on the implimentation between the two models. I don't have enough experience between the two - or specific models you're looking at - to offer an opinion.

I believe AVFORUM may have some insights. I think they are Euro based, in contrast to the more AVSFORUM which tends to discuss more North American models. You could also check FlatpanelsHD since some of the models they test are Euro specific.
Old 02-14-11, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superman07
I don't know what that means. There are 60hz, 120hz and 240hz models, at least with regard to refresh rate.
There are 100 Hz models in other countries where the power grids are different. 100 Hz is common in Germany.

Originally Posted by Kumar J
The salesman told me the 100Hz TV which Toshiba sell here are not as good as Samsung 100Hz TV's.

Is there such thing?
To answer the above, and the question in the thread title, yes, obviously there are differences between brands and models of TVs. Those differences can be subjective or objective, depending on what your definition of "better" is.

Reliability, build quality, etc., would be more objective. Picture quality would be in the eye of the beholder. You're going to have to do more research and look at a few TVs with your own two eyes.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Toshiba TVs.
Old 02-17-11, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for the answers guys.I saw the Toshiba TV but never try to market it like it's bad quality.Always with Samsung , LG or Phillips here. I would like to watch live sport on HD channel so its good to have 100Hz refresh rate.
Samsung is the the priciest here for almost all the same specs as Toshiba models.
Still looking for a nice deal.
Old 02-25-11, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kumar J
Thanks for the answers guys.I saw the Toshiba TV but never try to market it like it's bad quality.Always with Samsung , LG or Phillips here. I would like to watch live sport on HD channel so its good to have 100Hz refresh rate.
Samsung is the the priciest here for almost all the same specs as Toshiba models.
Still looking for a nice deal.
I would personally recommend any of the current Sharp TVs (the ones with the X-Gen panel). I have a US model and it's great!

And as someone else pointed out, refresh rates are divisible by 50hz or 60hz vary according to the type of power current in each country. Also, native HDTV standards vary according to power, too. American standard is 1080/60hz, British standard (for example) is 1080/50hz. The ironic thing is that like past NTSC/PAL incompatibilities, the American specification for HD does not require compatibility with 50hz, so some people who have imported foreign BluRays that are 1080/50 have had nasty surprises awaiting them! Glad I did some research before I bought my TV and BluRay player!