DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

subwoofer suggestions.

Old 09-11-00, 10:23 PM
Cool New Member

Need some suggestions on the best sounding subwoofer I can get for $500-$700. This would be my first sub purchase and I would like to hear some people's opinion's on different subs. It's going in a room that is around 20 x 12. My reciever is a Sony 777ES. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-12-00, 01:38 AM

What's your HT/music ratio? Do you listen to pipe organs or other music below 25 Hz?

Depending on what your preferences are, I would suggest one of the following subs:

1. SVS subs, www.svsubwoofers.com

2. Hsu VTF-2 for around US$550 shipped

3. Paradigm PW2200 US$800 list, US$600-$700 street

4. Two Mission 700AS subs, US$1000 list, US$600-$700 street

Here are five $500 subs reviewed by Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision (May 2000):
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/SoundAn dVision/FrameSet/0,1670,_sl_SoundAndVision_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1653_cm_123_3606_1_cm_00,00.html

Of the five reviewed, the Hsu VTF-2 and Mission 700AS were recommended by Nousaine.

Recently, I had purchased a pair of Mission 700AS for US$650 including 14% taxes and shipping from a Canadian B&M dealer. You may email me for the name of a Canadian online dealer for Mission. BTW, Mission subs are made in Canada for added value.

Of the four subs listed, I would have to put SVS sub at the top of the list. They are subs based on Sonotubes. However, I had trouble locating a quiet amp for these subs. Also, the powered models are not shipping until late September or October...I got tired of waiting. There are many very positive reviews at www.hometheaterforum.com

Good luck.

Dave

P.S. I, too, have a Sony 777ES receiver. It has dual sub pre-outs to accommodate my two subs.

[This message has been edited by DavidY (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 02:27 AM
Cool New Member

Thank you David for the very informative reply.
Old 09-12-00, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not really much help, but I also have two subs and prefer the dual subs much more than a single sub. Just something to consider since your receiver has the options.

[This message has been edited by jumbojp (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old 09-12-00, 09:24 AM

DavidY nailed it on the head.I firmly believe that there is no other subwoofer available in that price range that can touch the SVS subs.
Old 09-12-00, 07:45 PM

By far the best subwoofers I have ever heard (besides the $10K Genesis) are the Velodyne's. For just a little more money you can get a powered servo amp sub with practically no distortion! The amp constantly monitors the signal and the output to correct the sound up to 1000 times per second. The Paradigms and the Missions are great and I would also highly recommend them. But for the best bank for your buck, definitely go with Velodyne. I recently upgraded my Infinity HPS-1000 15" 1000 watt sub ($1299 list, $800 street) to the Velodyne HGS-18 18" 3000 watt sub ($2999 list, $2000 street). Even though this sub costed more that my receiver, my DVD player, and my HiFi VCR put together, it was worth it. Now all I have to do is convince my fiancee that buying this was a wise investment.

Old 09-12-00, 08:02 PM

You must not have read the post that well.He is looking for subwoofers in the $500.00 to $700.00 range.If it was unlimited,I would have thrown in some other great subs.Go over to the Hometheater Forum and read about the SVS subs and what they are capable of.
Old 09-12-00, 08:11 PM

Actually I read the post just fine and I was trying to recommend ANY Velodyne sub. The $500-$800 range would include the any of the Velodyne CT series, and the Velodyne FSR series. Stay away from the VA series as they have a little higher distortion factor. But by far, Velodyne is one of the best subs on the market.

------------------
DJ B SINISTER
Old 09-13-00, 12:06 AM

I use VTF-2 by HSU research and for movies it is excellent I must say, especially right after Trinity jumped off the helicopter as it slams onto the building...Not only it was shaking the room, but it really made it as if the helicopter blade was swish-swishing right on top of my head.

For music I set my PSB towers to 'big'.

Just my opinion

------------------
---I_disappear!----