Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Epson vs Panasonic in projectors

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Epson vs Panasonic in projectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Epson vs Panasonic in projectors

Yea, I'm getting a warning on bulb life as well. But I'm nearing the end of my 2nd bulb. I'm pleased with bulb life, but evidently the Mit does even better. So I need to figure that as well. I have been going 2 years per bulb. If the Mit goes three which it should, sort of help push me in that direction.

And I have to admit that even tho I'm not a resolution guy, I'd love to see 1080p (so long as everything else was good) on my 94" screen.
Old 02-27-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
(I'm projecting on a medium brown wall in my living room.)
Wait, you're projecting onto a colored wall? That would dim the image quite a bit, I imagine.
Old 02-28-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Wait, you're projecting onto a colored wall? That would dim the image quite a bit, I imagine.
Yeah, I thought it would too. But the panny is quite bright. Before I bought the projector I had thought I would eventually buy a screen once I figured out what size image I preferred. But the picture looked so good I just skipped it. Looks a lot better not having a fixed screen hanging on the wall all the time too!
Old 03-01-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At least paint the wall white (that's what I use). You're not seeing the colors properly as projected. You're seeing them skewed toward brown. You're probably used to it and think you don't notice anything wrong, but if you saw it against white, you'd be really surprised.
Old 03-01-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

At least paint the wall white (that's what I use). You're not seeing the colors properly as projected. You're seeing them skewed toward brown. You're probably used to it and think you don't notice anything wrong, but if you saw it against white, you'd be really surprised.
+1000

It doesn't matter how bright the projector is. You're not getting nearly the right color temperature if you're projecting onto a brown wall.

There's no need to get a fixed screen if you're concerned about aesthetics. For the first 3 years of my projector I had a portable 80" 16:9 screen that I could pull up or take down easily.
Old 03-01-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kefrank
+1000

It doesn't matter how bright the projector is. You're not getting nearly the right color temperature if you're projecting onto a brown wall.

There's no need to get a fixed screen if you're concerned about aesthetics. For the first 3 years of my projector I had a portable 80" 16:9 screen that I could pull up or take down easily.
No doubt the colors are a bit skewed...but white looks white so I really don't think it's that far off. I've been watching like this for over 5 years now and I have the best TV of anyone I know. People's jaws still drop when they see it for the first time. And I still think getting a projector was the best purchase I've ever made. As for a pull up or removable screen I did consider that briefly. But honestly the picture looks so good I just decided to skip it.
Old 03-01-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Our eyes (and brain) are an interesting thing when it comes to sight. We adapt and adjust fairly quickly. Case in point;

We had an Oscar watching party. My parents came over and my dad stayed in bar with me. He kept saying how good the pic was on my little 4+ year old no-name (Olevia) 26" LCD. At one point he even said "it doesn't get any better then that". So I took him into media room where the girls were watching and showed him my HD70 DLP. He was like "omg!".

IMO, that is why those crappy POS LCD's that are not even calibrated from Walmart/Costco and such sell so well. You stare or watch it long enough you adjust to what your seeing.

Check some of the forms. You can get a good color screen material on something like a black out drapes. And cheap enough to give it a try. You could very likely (most very likely) significantly upgrade your image with more appropriate color. I'd start by reading reviews of your projector to see if they have a recommendation. If your PJ is really that bright, you might benefit from a grey screen....and really get those blacks black!!

As for how it looks, you can get really creative. I've seen all sorts of things. I toyed with putting a pj in our living room. Figured I'd build the screen to the size I wanted. And then when we had company or a party, hang a pitcher over it. Would be easy enough to do.
Old 03-01-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Our eyes (and brain) are an interesting thing when it comes to sight. We adapt and adjust fairly quickly. Case in point;

We had an Oscar watching party.
Ouch, that would require a lot of adjustment.
Old 06-03-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

All right, I decided to ask this question here rather than create a new thread. I know nothing about projectors. Never owned or used one in my life. Anyway, I've decided I'd like to set up a little outdoor viewing area in my back yard. Obviously, I would need a projector to really make this happen.

Any recommendations or things I should look for? It doesn't have to be Epson or Panasonic, like this thread was created for. I'm just looking for something basic, preferably for as cheap as I can get. I wouldn't want to spend too much more than $1,000 on the projector. Hell, I'd be very happy if I could find something decent for less! I know that probably eliminates a lot of great choices, but I don't have enough room in my house to use it so I'm trying to limit the amount I spend. It's not like it will be getting constant use.
Old 06-03-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
All right, I decided to ask this question here rather than create a new thread. I know nothing about projectors. Never owned or used one in my life. Anyway, I've decided I'd like to set up a little outdoor viewing area in my back yard. Obviously, I would need a projector to really make this happen.

Any recommendations or things I should look for? It doesn't have to be Epson or Panasonic, like this thread was created for. I'm just looking for something basic, preferably for as cheap as I can get. I wouldn't want to spend too much more than $1,000 on the projector. Hell, I'd be very happy if I could find something decent for less! I know that probably eliminates a lot of great choices, but I don't have enough room in my house to use it so I'm trying to limit the amount I spend. It's not like it will be getting constant use.
I'd probably ask just how big of a screen you want.

There are a lot of nice pj's in the grand range that can go 110" or so. I'd look for some 720p HD pj and should be good to go.

How are you going to mount? Or table top???
Old 06-03-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd probably ask just how big of a screen you want.

There are a lot of nice pj's in the grand range that can go 110" or so. I'd look for some 720p HD pj and should be good to go.

How are you going to mount? Or table top???
I imagine 110" or so should be large enough. Of course, I say that, but I'm sure I'll experience the same phenomenon that I did with my TV. When I bought it, I was sure I wouldn't want something any bigger, now I wish I did have something larger.

I figured I would end up using some kind of table top method for placing the projector. While I'm seriously thinking about buying something soon, this is all still in preliminary planning stages.

I'd love to be able to buy a bunch of new stuff right now (Blu-ray player, speakers, receiver, sub), but I'll probably end up just taking whatever I need from the house when I need it until I can purchase some other stuff.
Old 06-04-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you talking about night viewing or daytime? Because direct sunlight will wash out almost any screen of any sort. Except the Kindle.

If you are thinking after dark, you can use the prior discussion in this thread and others for thoughts.

If you are looking for daytime, you'll want to position it right to try to avoid direct sun. And you'll want a High Power screen most likely, and the brightest PJ you can afford, because even if not direct, that's a lot of ambient light. That probably means a "board room" projector more than a "home theater" model, in that price range. The high power screen means there will be fewer good viewing angles, but that's better than zero with the sun destroying all viewing.

Usually we talk about pic quality, color issues, black levels, etc., but for outdoors only usage, I think you want to consider raw lumen power first.

Depending on your precise environment, you may want to create some sort of box to be around the PJ for protection. Ex: if it is dusty, a DLP model is probably best as these have sealed optics.
Old 06-07-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
Are you talking about night viewing or daytime? Because direct sunlight will wash out almost any screen of any sort. Except the Kindle.

If you are thinking after dark, you can use the prior discussion in this thread and others for thoughts.

If you are looking for daytime, you'll want to position it right to try to avoid direct sun. And you'll want a High Power screen most likely, and the brightest PJ you can afford, because even if not direct, that's a lot of ambient light. That probably means a "board room" projector more than a "home theater" model, in that price range. The high power screen means there will be fewer good viewing angles, but that's better than zero with the sun destroying all viewing.

Usually we talk about pic quality, color issues, black levels, etc., but for outdoors only usage, I think you want to consider raw lumen power first.

Depending on your precise environment, you may want to create some sort of box to be around the PJ for protection. Ex: if it is dusty, a DLP model is probably best as these have sealed optics.
I will only be attempting nighttime viewing. I didn't even think it was even feasible to do daytime viewing with a projector outside. I ended up going with the Optoma HD66. It's 720p, DLP (it is pretty dusty where I live), seemed to get decent ratings from the places I looked at and was only $639 from Amazon. I maybe should have gone with something with more lumens, but considering some of the other stuff that I want to buy and/or build for my outdoor theater, I decided to save a little bit of money.

I resisted the urge to order a screen; my friends actually helped talk me out of it. So, we are going to attempt to build one on our own. A friend knows a guy who runs a sign shop, so we ordered an 8' x 10' piece of vinyl sign material that will be blank and white. The sign guy is also going to put some grommets in for us, which will no doubt come in handy. Once that comes in, we are going to attempt to build a stand for it. This could be tricky because it can get very windy here. We're going to really have to figure out a way to anchor it and weigh it down so it doesn't blow away or move too much. Regardless, it should be fun!
Old 06-07-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know if I were you, I would set up the screen permanent with some sort of protection cover that you would review when watching.

Than I'd set up a cart with the project on top and other electronics under it. The cart on wheels would be easy to move indoors to out. Get you some water proof speakers and leave them out there. Then you just wheel the whole thing out, give it power pop on the speaker wire (use pins or bananas or something for ease) and your set to go.
Old 06-08-11, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know if I were you, I would set up the screen permanent with some sort of protection cover that you would review when watching.

Than I'd set up a cart with the project on top and other electronics under it. The cart on wheels would be easy to move indoors to out. Get you some water proof speakers and leave them out there. Then you just wheel the whole thing out, give it power pop on the speaker wire (use pins or bananas or something for ease) and your set to go.
Very good idea. That would make things a lot easier.
Old 06-08-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use the side of my neighbor's garage as a screen. They have a very shallow, large white siding on it. Not perfectly flat but close enough. I'm surprised at how good the picture is. Their garage is pretty old so I'm sure the day's coming when I'll lose my screen!
I also bought one of those Epson moviemate projectors. (I have the 72) It's not a super sharp projector but it easily projects large, large, large and is great for my outdoor watching. It has built in audio and a DVD player so when I feel like going outdoors (like last night ! ) I just grab one unit and plug it in and I'm ready to go. The volume is not super loud so when I have company I'll add a portable audio player.

Let us know how the vinyl sign material works out. How much was that? I don't know if you can make it permanent, I would think the elements, sun and rain, would destroy it.

BTW - I'm absolutely loving my indoor projector, the Epson 8700UB. The picture is gorgeous. I also got both rebates, the $100 and the spare bulb. It all worked out well.

Last edited by Pizza; 06-08-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-09-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pizza
I use the side of my neighbor's garage as a screen. They have a very shallow, large white siding on it. Not perfectly flat but close enough. I'm surprised at how good the picture is. Their garage is pretty old so I'm sure the day's coming when I'll lose my screen!
I also bought one of those Epson moviemate projectors. (I have the 72) It's not a super sharp projector but it easily projects large, large, large and is great for my outdoor watching. It has built in audio and a DVD player so when I feel like going outdoors (like last night ! ) I just grab one unit and plug it in and I'm ready to go. The volume is not super loud so when I have company I'll add a portable audio player.

Let us know how the vinyl sign material works out. How much was that? I don't know if you can make it permanent, I would think the elements, sun and rain, would destroy it.

BTW - I'm absolutely loving my indoor projector, the Epson 8700UB. The picture is gorgeous. I also got both rebates, the $100 and the spare bulb. It all worked out well.
Well, everything came in yesterday, and my friends and I decided to give it a try. We were all really impressed with how it looked, and we didn't even use a Blu-ray (we watched the Book of the Dead version of Evil Dead 2).

The vinyl, which I paid $75 for, worked perfectly as a screen. We used the dull side because I had read the other side could cause some glare. I couldn't be more happy with how it performed. Plus, there was absolutely zero bleed through from the light.

I also realized just how big that piece of vinyl was. Without a proper stand or anything yet, we just used the fence. I got the idea to use jumper cables to hold it up. It worked perfectly, no movement at all, but there was a bunch of leftover vinyl still rolled up at the bottom. It will really be something when we are finally able to build something that will allow us to completely open up the "screen."

As for the stand, I'm thinking about building a permanent structure that would allow me to put up and remove the screen without too much hassle. That way, I can have a permanent structure, one cemented in the ground for stability, and yet still be able to put the screen away so it won't get messed up.

And you're so right, Sdallnct. I totally need a cart for everything! I couldn't get the audio to work right on my laptop, so I eventually took out a receiver and speakers. We had a blast, but there was so much labor after the movie to put everything away.

Anyway, with it looking like this project will have a total price tag of $1,000 or less (this includes the projector, vinyl, extra Blu-ray player, assorted cables, ceiling mount and an estimated cost for supplies to build the stand), this is easily one of the best entertainment investments I've ever made.
Old 09-24-11, 02:41 PM

Well, everything came in yesterday, and my friends and I decided to give it a try. We were all really impressed with how it looked, and we didn't even use a Blu-ray (we watched the Book of the Dead version of Evil Dead 2).

The vinyl, which I paid $75 for, worked perfectly as a screen. We used the dull side because I had read the other side could cause some glare. I couldn't be more happy with how it performed. Plus, there was absolutely zero bleed through from the light.

I also realized just how big that piece of vinyl was. Without a proper stand or anything yet, we just used the fence. I got the idea to use jumper cables to hold it up. It worked perfectly, no movement at all, but there was a bunch of leftover vinyl still rolled up at the bottom. It will really be something when we are finally able to build something that will allow us to completely open up the "screen."

As for the stand, I'm thinking about building a permanent structure that would allow me to put up and remove the screen without too much hassle. That way, I can have a permanent structure, one cemented in the ground for stability, and yet still be able to put the screen away so it won't get messed up.

And you're so right, Sdallnct. I totally need a cart for everything! I couldn't get the audio to work right on my laptop, so I eventually took out a receiver and speakers. We had a blast, but there was so much labor after the movie to put everything away.

Anyway, with it looking like this project will have a total price tag of $1,000 or less (this includes the projector, vinyl, extra Blu-ray player, assorted cables, ceiling mount and an estimated cost for supplies to build the stand), this is easily one of the best entertainment investments I've ever made.
So did you have a fun summer with your set up? Were you able to build a permanent stand for your screen?
Old 09-29-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So did you have a fun summer with your set up? Were you able to build a permanent stand for your screen?
Indeed, it was a great summer. I finally did build a permanent stand. We tried doing a semi-permanent one build from PVC pipe and anchored by buckets filled with concrete. It worked all right, but it's just too windy where I live. Needless to say, the large sail in my back yard wasn't able to stay standing for too long with regular 40-50 mph gusts of wind, even with it being tied down. So, finally, I did go permanent, and it works fantastic. Even though it's super hot and windy where I live, the nice thing is that it can still be used pretty much all year.
Old 10-14-11, 02:22 PM

Indeed, it was a great summer. I finally did build a permanent stand. We tried doing a semi-permanent one build from PVC pipe and anchored by buckets filled with concrete. It worked all right, but it's just too windy where I live. Needless to say, the large sail in my back yard wasn't able to stay standing for too long with regular 40-50 mph gusts of wind, even with it being tied down. So, finally, I did go permanent, and it works fantastic. Even though it's super hot and windy where I live, the nice thing is that it can still be used pretty much all year.
You should post a picture. I'd be curious to see how the screen looks as well as the permanent stand.
I use the neighbor's garage. No fuss or muss.
Old 10-14-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should post a picture. I'd be curious to see how the screen looks as well as the permanent stand.
I use the neighbor's garage. No fuss or muss.
D'oh! I actually meant to do just that. I posted something in one of the October Horror Movie Challenge discussion threads and meant to post it here, too, but completely forgot. If you want, I can take some during the day for a better view of the stand, but it's pretty simple.

I'll just copy and paste what I put there. I might tread over some ground that I already covered here. I suppose I should explain what I mention right from the start of that post. I ended up installing a HDMI/optical audio/component video wall plate in my living room that leads out to an adjoining wall plate on my back yard patio. That means I can plug in pretty much anything from inside the house and watch it perfectly outside. I'm still having some slight issues with it, but at least it works perfectly with my DVR, which was the main reason I wanted it in the first place.

Oh, I saw in this thread I mentioned the possibility of buying a cart. I ended up realizing I had a really big weather-proof Tupperware container. I can fit my receiver, Blu-ray player and three speakers in there. So, I keep all that outside in the container and just take out the projector and put it in the mount I installed in my patio for it.

Here's that other post:

Since I put in an HDMI/optical audio wall plate in, I've pretty much shifted most of my viewing to the outside. It's nice to have the big screen, and the dog loves it. Fortunately, I live in South Texas where it's pretty much always hot and humid and I can basically sit outside year round. Anyway, because of that, I imagine the back yard may become a character in my challenge this year, which is why I bring it up.

I'll put this in spoiler tags so it's not really big and write a little about the technical specs.

Spoiler:

Well, here's my back yard. I'll just include a few pics and figured I would give a little bit of technical specs for those who might be interested. I ended up with an Optoma projector. It's only 720p, but I liked that it was 3D capable with a converter box. Granted, that box is like $250 and I haven't been able to justify buying it yet, but when I do, I think the big screen would make the 3D a better investment than if I just had a 3D TV.

The audio situation isn't the best, but it's pretty good. I have an old receiver out there. It has one optical input. I also have 3 old speakers. They aren't outdoor ones, so I have to put them up every night. A bit of an inconvenience, and as humid as it is down here, I'm sure they won't last too long. For now, it's more than adequate, though. Eventually, I obviously want to buy some outdoor speakers and have something I can just leave in place.

As for the screen, I'm using a blank piece of vinyl, like what is used for outdoor signs. I use the back because I read the shiny front side will reflect the light back. Needless to say, it works incredibly well. I mean, it really looks like a real screen, and it's outdoor material. I have a friend who knows a guy who owns a sign shop. He ordered the vinyl for me. $75 for an 8' x 12' blank vinyl sign.

The stand was difficult to manage. It's windy down here. We regularly get gusts in the 40-55 mph range. We built a structure of PVC pipes that were anchored with buckets filled with concrete. Then we anchored it down with ropes. It would do OK for a time, but I could never get the screen taut. It was just too big, too much to manage, and there was no backing to the screen. No backing created a slight content worry for me. I realized that the other side of the screen showed an almost perfect reverse projected image of whatever I was watching on the other side of the screen. Great. I'm sure my neighbors with kids would appreciate some of my choices in films and TV. Yikes.

But technically that meant I had nothing to really get the screen tight; it also meant that it was a huge fucking sail in my big back yard. The PVC couldn't withstand the wind. It would be all right for a week or so, but it would always end up toppling. It doesn't help that the ground isn't level and shifts the buckets, either. So, we finally built something permanent.

We cemented four 4x4x12 posts into the ground. Then we got big outdoor grade sheets of plywood and screwed them onto the posts. From there, it was easy because we had already stapled wooden posts through the width of the screen to help get some balance and sturdiness with the old stand. The new stand is now *very* secure. It's nice not to have to come home from work and worry that the screen had toppled over. Anyway, for those of you who have read all of this, wow. Congratulations for getting to the end. Anyway, I don't mean to derail things, but I'm always happy to talk about it if anyone has any questions. Thanks for excusing my little diversion.

Old 10-14-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks great. When's the party?
Old 10-15-11, 10:02 AM

Looks awesome. Great job! The wind doesn't tear into the screen? Is there solid wood backing the screen?
Old 10-17-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks great. When's the party?
Looks awesome. Great job! The wind doesn't tear into the screen? Is there solid wood backing the screen?
Thanks! That projector gets a lot of use, so pretty much every night.

There's plywood attached to the posts, so there is a solid wood backing for the screen. The previous PVC stand I made was open, and the wind would knock it over every few days despite tying it down.