Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Torn on buying plasma vs. LCD for bedroom use (long post)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

So the wife has given me permission to replace the bedroom tv. we currently have a westinghouse 32" LCD that I've had for at least 3 years, if not more. It's actually been a damn fine TV outside of the fact the audio cuts out on the speakers, but we don't use them so it's not a big deal. I've been looking at what's out there and was pretty settled on the Panasonic P42s2. Eventually it will be hung on the wall, but right now it'll be on a dresser.

I don't know why I second guess my decisions, but it always seems that way with any big electronics item I am about to purchase. There are several LCD options available in the range I want to spend (no more than $800, preferably less).

The primary viewing in this room will be TV watching from DirecTV HD box. I will eventually hook up a BluRay player to it, but that may not be for another few months. Most of the TV watching will be standard HD fare, rarely sports or anything that involves action. That is kind of why I'm second guessing the plasma choice. I know that there are issues occasionally with the lag on LCD sets with gaming and some motion blur with fast moving pictures, which sort of turned me off of them. But, after thinking of what it's primary use will be, I'm now more concerned about getting something that will give me the best picture/value available.

Every TV i've read reviews on has positive and negatives. In my price range, there is nothing that stands out as the TV that has the best of everything. So, what say you? Looking for recommendations/suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-16-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Torn on buying plasma vs. LCD for bedroom use (long post)

One area where there is an undisputed, practical difference between plasma and LCD is viewing angle. Bedrooms set ups can often have odd viewing angles. What's the viewing angle like from where you're going to primarily watch? If it's a fair amount higher, lower, or off-axis, then stick with the plasma.
Old 12-16-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

straight on to the tv. probably about 12 feet away from our eyes, about 7 from the edge of the bed.

that is a good consideration, though. eventually we may move our office desk in there and it might be more difficult to see the LCD from that angle. i didn't think of that point.
Old 12-16-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Plus, it seems like plasma is much cheaper than LCD with 120Hz motion flow feature for comparative screen sizes. As long as you can live with the reflections from the screen on a plasma TV, you should be okay.
Old 12-16-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

12 Feet away? A small 42" set?

For that, without hesitation (unless you want to use as a computer monitor), I'd save the couple hundred dollars and get the Panasonic 720p 42" plasma and use the money to get a Panasonic bluray player with Wifi now!

There is no way at 12' feet your going to see a difference in between 720p v. 1080p on that small of a set. Just not going to happen. Or if you have the space, use the money to get the 50" 720p Panny Plasma. Your still not going to see a difference at 12'. Again, unless you plan on using as a computer monitor.

It is without a doubt a blu-Christmas. I bet I have have bought 20 good titled BR movies since Thanksgiving. The most expensive one was $11. The rest were $10 or less (a couple were $5.00). So I'd jump on the blu band wagon as soon as possible. The deals on these movies right now are fantastic!

As for Plasma v. LCD. IMO, your looking at it all wrong. There use to be very distinct differences. But some LCD have pretty darn good black levels and some Plasmas are not as good as others. You need to the look at the individual set as much as the specific technology.

IMO, the Panasonic Plasma is one of the best pictures you can get (after calibration) for any price. But at the same time, I doubt I'd buy any other plasma set. Panasonic (and Pioneer before they stopped) know what they doing with plasma.
Old 12-16-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you should just invest in this, instead.
Old 12-17-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk God

i've tried for the 50". wife wouldn't go for it. she thinks it would look too big on the wall once it is mounted. i worked it, trust me. she wouldn't budge. i should just buy the 50" and tell her it's 42".
Old 12-17-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

well, i wasn't planning on getting a blu ray player for the bedroom right away, but amazon has PS3 for $298 + $100 in promo credit and I also had $95 in credit. so for a little over $200 i got the PS3 and I will be able to buy the receiver I want for about $100 or so. Damn holidays. Always costing me money.
Old 12-17-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

plasma all the way
Old 12-17-10, 08:44 PM

I, for one, think, you do see a difference even with as "small" a tv as a 42" and I would go for plasma.
Old 12-17-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
I, for one, think, you do see a difference even with as "small" a tv as a 42" and I would go for plasma.
I meant (and said) they wouldn't see a difference between 720p and 1080p on a 42" set at 12 feet regardless of technology of the set..

I certainly think you can see a difference between plasma and LCD and I recommended a Panny plasma. I don't recommend any plasma, but do and did recommend the panny plasma.
Old 12-17-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

walmart has the s242 on sale for $578. i'm hoping it stays that price after christmas so i can try to get them to pricematch it. pretty much sold on it, unless there is an overwhelmingly good deal on something similar.
Old 12-21-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Best Buy had an open boxed Panny 46" 720p set for $410 this weekend! I bet if you shop around you can find a similar deal, if not better for a 42". Save yourself around $300 in the process.
Old 12-21-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

i think i'm torn on 1080p, though. there is a pacific sales and everyone i know that has been there said they have ridiculous deals. i need to check it out. the only downside is i told everyone in my family to just get me best buy gift cards because i was planning on buying it there.
Old 12-21-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
i think i'm torn on 1080p, though. there is a pacific sales and everyone i know that has been there said they have ridiculous deals. i need to check it out. the only downside is i told everyone in my family to just get me best buy gift cards because i was planning on buying it there.
What is your issue with 1080p? Why are you torn.

There is nothing wrong with 1080p. Your not going to get a worse picture (so long as you stick with the Panny Plasma's). But it sounded like you were on a budget and didn't have the money for both it and a BD player.

Or better yet, use the same money and get a 720p 50" model. Sitting that far away your not going to see the difference.

Your cabinet not going to hold a 50" model? Then you will have a much better image with a 720p 42" panny plasma w/a BD player than a 1080p panny plasma with a SD DVD player.
Old 12-21-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

i didn't phrase that correctly. i meant i'm stuck on getting a 1080p set. that's what my mind has made up for me, so i'm going with that.

this is a bedroom tv, so the 50" will be too big. well according to the wife. temporarily it will be on a dresser until we can get the mount and put it on the wall. i told her that the 50" will look big on the dresser but make more sense when it is mounted, but she didn't want to hear any of that.
Old 12-21-10, 12:59 PM

so the 50" will be too big.
That's what she said!

^ sorry I couldn't help it...watching too much of The Office

Have you had your wife look at the difference between the 42" and the 50"? It isn't that much of a difference, and she may not even notice it. I know others have said it, but I'll say it again, be sure to get a Panny.
Old 12-21-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly, I put the LCD in my bedroom and it doesn't matter. I rarely get beyond 10-15 minutes anyway, and I'm fast asleep....usually wake up in the middle of the night with the damn menu playing over and over.
Old 12-22-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i didn't phrase that correctly. i meant i'm stuck on getting a 1080p set. that's what my mind has made up for me, so i'm going with that.

this is a bedroom tv, so the 50" will be too big. well according to the wife. temporarily it will be on a dresser until we can get the mount and put it on the wall. i told her that the 50" will look big on the dresser but make more sense when it is mounted, but she didn't want to hear any of that.
Really? Are you able to pair a BD player with that now as well? Have you found a good enough deal to get both?
Old 12-22-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You should still try to push her towards the 50". It will shrink in time. I convinced my wife to get the 50" Panny in the bedroom and got it. Now, she say's we should have gotten the 58" because the 50" looks to small.
Old 12-22-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

This study should be updated to correlate for size. You've been warned.

Turn off the TV - turn on your partner
February 9, 2006

The Italians confirm it: Having a television in the bedroom cuts your sex life in half. A recent study by a team of sexologists in Rome found Italians who live without a TV in the bedroom have sex eight times a month. Those with a TV, only four. While this is a scathing indictment of bedroom televisions, many couples counselors say a television is not the only thing in a bedroom that can zap your mojo.
Old 12-22-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Really? Are you able to pair a BD player with that now as well? Have you found a good enough deal to get both?
purchased a ps3. moving my old bluray player into the bedroom for now.
Old 12-22-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

purchased a ps3. moving my old bluray player into the bedroom for now.
OK....good!

42" @ 12' a 720p plasma paired with a BD player will give you a better image than a 1080p paired with a SD player or even DirectTV (that some people call "HD lite").

Nothing wrong with 1080p. Won't give you a worse picture. But if it meant not getting the best source possible due to cost, than that would be where to save.
Old 12-22-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superman07
This study should be updated to correlate for size. You've been warned.
Turn off the TV - turn on your partner
February 9, 2006

The Italians confirm it: Having a television in the bedroom cuts your sex life in half. A recent study by a team of sexologists in Rome found Italians who live without a TV in the bedroom have sex eight times a month. Those with a TV, only four. While this is a scathing indictment of bedroom televisions, many couples counselors say a television is not the only thing in a bedroom that can zap your mojo.
But did the study say which came first? I mean, if there's nothing else to do in there, might as well have a TV!
Old 12-22-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
OK....good!

42" @ 12' a 720p plasma paired with a BD player will give you a better image than a 1080p paired with a SD player or even DirectTV (that some people call "HD lite").

Nothing wrong with 1080p. Won't give you a worse picture. But if it meant not getting the best source possible due to cost, than that would be where to save.
oh i know all these things. i just was hesitant on the 720p v 1080p thing because i knew we'd be putting a blu ray player in there. and the cost isn't a prohibitive factor here. i mean, it'll be dependent on how much money i get from family for christmas, but the budget will remain less than $800. i just want to get the best i can for that budget, which is why i was torn on the lcd/plasma situation. now that i probably won't do any gaming in there, i'm more inclined to look towards lcds than i was before.

the really odd thing is i have a 1080i westinghouse lcd that is at least 3 years old (probably older) that's only 60 hz. i've watched a bit of football in there occasionally, and i honestly don't notice any motion blur on it. that's why i get confused to see newer tvs have that same problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.