Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wireless Router Help with Blu-Ray

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 04:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie needs help.

I'm getting my parents a Blu-Ray for Christmas for their new Samsung LN52B630 52" LCD. They are COMPLETE technophobes and shudder at new technology, but love their new TV and are very intelligent, movie loving people. My Mom is very interested in NetFlix and I know once they see Blu-Ray they will "get it".

Except I haven't taken the plunge yet and know almost nothing about how it works either. I just have the leg up because I'm not afraid.

I have decided on the Panasonic DMP-BD85

They have a Samsung HTZ420, a HT in a box type of all-in-one receiver that has a DVD Player built in. I believe it only has ONE HDMI out.

They have a wireless router for their computer, a few rooms away. I don't know how fast it is, but it's through AT&T and is a "2Wire" not sure of model. I can't really do anything about that until I get home on the 22nd. It's my understanding it has to be able to stream at a certain speed for image reproduction while streaming.

They have no idea what the hell a router is much less what their password or PIN # is.

Ok, enough back story, my questions are: Will I be able to set up the wifi on the Blu without that knowledge? And being new to wireless and Blu-Ray in general, do I even need the wireless for anything besides online content? Can they not just get movies from the NetFlix via the Blu-Ray Player? Should I hook this up with HDMI to the TV or to the Reciever?

Sorry. I want to do right by them and I know so little about it all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Wireless Router Help with Blu-Ray

You need online access for firmware upgrades and all online content, including Netflix. I haven't set one up, but I'm sure accessing their network is the same on the BD85 as on any other wireless device. An 802.11g network is fast enough for Netflix, and I would assume that is the minimum they have, unless that modem is a decade old.

How do they have a wireless network if they don't know the password? Is it unsecure?

If the receiver has an HDMI input, that should work. Otherwise run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver for audio, I assume it has that input.
Old 12-09-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I can't get Netflix in HD on my PS3 because of the slow net speed. I do not think the router, but the actual net speed. Tho I am still using a "b" router and my media room is on the other side of the house. I do fine on SD Netflix.

I'm sure I'll end up with a Neflix enable BD for Christmas. And I might go wired since the living room shares a wall with office where router is. Guess that will be the final test. But I have done speed test both wireless and wired and there isn't any difference.

And yea, every WiFi devise I've ever set up there is spot to enter password if it is protected. And lets hope your folks is! If it is and no one knows what the current password is, there should be a mechanic full reset or "return to factory default" somewhere on the unit. Than you can go back and do the set up again including password protect.
Old 12-09-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Is it possible to move the router in the room with the Blu Ray player so you can have a wired connection for Netflix? Then connect their computers through the wireless?
Old 12-09-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you saying wired through the router is faster than wireless? Why would you say that? Even the very old "b" system can go what 11MPS? Even with some distance and walls and such you are probably looking at faster than what your connection can deliver the speed.

Or is there some other issue?
Old 12-09-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I just always prefer to have the item that will need the most bandwidth directly connected. If you're surfing the net and your connection drops for 10 seconds, no big deal. If you're watching netflix and it keeps stuttering on you, it's going to piss you off.
Old 12-09-10, 01:46 PM
Cool New Member

Wow. You guys are the best! Thanks. Yeah, I never thought of their wifi being unprotected. It probably is, but hey have no idea. I will figure it out.

No chance on moving the computer to directly connect. I will heed your advice and do my best! Thank you and Happy Holidays!!

You will probably see me on here around the 26th, freaking out that something isn't working properly. lol
Old 12-09-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Are you saying wired through the router is faster than wireless? Why would you say that? Even the very old "b" system can go what 11MPS? Even with some distance and walls and such you are probably looking at faster than what your connection can deliver the speed.

Or is there some other issue?
I am running Comcast 16-20Mbps cable connection. Network is 100Mb wired, Airport Express n wireless at 300Mb. (although it drops to 54Mb g speed when the old laptop is on) So, everything in the network should be plenty faster than my connection.

But, the 2 wired computers generally download faster than the n wireless netbook. They download at top speed (16Mb) if the other side is fast, actually above top speed for the first 10MB burst due to my DOCSIS 3 modem. The laptop usually doesn't quite make it.

I haven't studied this. Extra latency in wireless?

Oh, and I can stream Netflix HD 720p on one computer just fine, but one Hulu 480p stream hesitates. Hulu sucks. (because Flash sucks)

Last edited by Spiky; 12-09-10 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 02:47 AM
Cool New Member

I am able to hook up an external hard drive to the blu-Ray and watch video I downloaded to it on the TV? But the Blu will only play accepted formats correct? No MP4 or VLC stuff..only AVi files and such right?
Old 12-11-10, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiky
I am running Comcast 16-20Mbps cable connection. Network is 100Mb wired, Airport Express n wireless at 300Mb. (although it drops to 54Mb g speed when the old laptop is on) So, everything in the network should be plenty faster than my connection.

But, the 2 wired computers generally download faster than the n wireless netbook. They download at top speed (16Mb) if the other side is fast, actually above top speed for the first 10MB burst due to my DOCSIS 3 modem. The laptop usually doesn't quite make it.

I haven't studied this. Extra latency in wireless?

Oh, and I can stream Netflix HD 720p on one computer just fine, but one Hulu 480p stream hesitates. Hulu sucks. (because Flash sucks)
I'll probably end up testing this. I'll likely end up with a BD player for the living room. And it seems kind of silly to go wireless with my TV is sharing a wall with office where router is.

And yes, I'm still using that old "b" router I mentioned. LOL....why? It just works. However, I have noticed needing to a reset once in a while for the printer which I have wired into the router. Personally I think that is a Printer issue, but it is probably time to make the jump to a more modern router. Probably get a better connection on the other end of the house anyway.