Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PS3 Doesn't Recognize TV Is 3D/Blue Screen Only With Mits 3D Adapter

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS3 Doesn't Recognize TV Is 3D/Blue Screen Only With Mits 3D Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: PS3 Doesn't Recognize TV Is 3D/Blue Screen Only With Mits 3D Adapter

Originally Posted by Spiky
That couldn't possibly be true! I was so informed by several people on this board that 3D is magic and will change our lives in ways we could not possibly imagine. Or was that the iPad?

No, wait...Sliced Bread!!
Ha! Well, 3D wasn't the main reason I bought this TV. At the time, it was the largest screen I could find, and that was my main criteria. 3D was just an added bonus, one I wasn't sure I would ever use. Now that there are 3D movies and games coming out, I have a bit more interest in 3D.
Old 12-08-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
I pretty much know nothing about 3D. But is there separate calibration for it?

I bought the first PS3 when it first came out. I paid $30 or maybe even $40, for Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu to compare to my DVD version. I was all set with a HDMI switcher and very nice upconverting DVD player to compare the two. I could even do freeze frame on both and compare.

The results? Like you, I was "disappointed". I think I even posted a thread about it. However, what I had forgotten was I had spent hours calibrating and testing and setting up the DVD player and all I did was plug the PS3 in. After spending an equal amount of time calibrating, the difference really was/is "significant". For me the difference is not so much in the resolution, but in the depth of color, black level detail, and real depth to the image. I use to say it has a "3D" look. But with 3D out now, I'm trying to avoid that.

I have spent time calibrating my HD DVD player with my TV in the living room. I'm getting a BD player for the living room for Christmas. I imagine I'll go thru the same thing again. I bet the HD Player, with a DVD will initially look better than the BD player.

The main reason I have no interest in 3D is really a cost factor. We have movie watching parties all the time. My kids might have 10 or more people over to have pizza and watch a movie. There is no way I'm getting 10+ pairs of glasses (my media room seats 9-10 pretty easy and we have had 20 in there before). Let alone keep them all charged and working!
Well, I had it calibrated nicely for 2D. When I switch to 3D, I switch it from the Natural setting to Bright and play around with contrast and such, but it doesn't make it look like Blu-ray quality. I don't mind watching DVDs on my 32" TV, but on my 73" screen the difference between BDs and DVDs is obvious. And, unfortunately, the resolution of 3D material on my DLP is much closer to DVD quality than BD.

To satisfy my curiousity, I visited RC Willey yesterday to watch some 3D material on a 46" Samsung LED TV and a 65" Panasonic Viera Plasma. There was a world of difference because those TVs deliver 1080p to each eye, so the 3D image was as sharp as it was in 2D. Also, one was 240hz and the other was 600hz while my TV is only 120hz. (The Panasonic Viera was named best picture quality on any 2010 TV by CNET. Throw in 2 free pairs of glasses, Avatar in 3D and a sale price and I'm awfully tempted to part with my Mitsubishi!)

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 12-09-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-08-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The main reason I have no interest in 3D is really a cost factor. We have movie watching parties all the time. My kids might have 10 or more people over to have pizza and watch a movie. There is no way I'm getting 10+ pairs of glasses (my media room seats 9-10 pretty easy and we have had 20 in there before). Let alone keep them all charged and working!
Yeah, the glasses are really pricey. I think some TVs come packed with one pair, and then sometimes another 2 pairs are included in free starter kits. (I think either Panasonic or Samsung does it that way.) Anyway, that would get you 3 pairs. Still a long way from 10, I know.

I didn't like the $400 price of the Mits Starter Kit when it debuted. While I waited for the price to drop, I sold some old movies and videogames to Amazon and built up about $90 in store credit. Once the price dropped to $324, I bought the kit with the credit and some American Express reward points that converted to $10 in Amazon store credit, so I got it for $224. Still not cheap, but you could build up even more credit than I did if you wanted to. Food for thought....
Old 12-09-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Doubtful...

I'm am "considering" a new projector next year. I'm on my 2nd bulb on mine, and with the huge drop in 1080p projector prices (yea, I'm running, poor sad 720p....lol), I might make the switch. $250 for a new bulb or maybe $1,000 to $1,300 for a new 1080p projector....

But than I think a new bulb, new sub and replace my crappy couch with Berklines (yea that would put me over my budget) might actually make an overall better, more enjoyable viewing experience than going 1080p. Will see.

I'd probably go lossless before I'd go 3D. Tho 3D on a 94" screen would be interesting....
Old 12-11-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I downloaded a Discovery Channel promotional video and a Bon Jovi music video (both in 3D) last night from the Playstation Network. The image actually looked pretty good, and I think they were only 720p. I need to try a computer animated movie. Those are usually bright, colorful and razor sharp.
Old 12-11-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I downloaded a Discovery Channel promotional video and a Bon Jovi music video (both in 3D) last night from the Playstation Network. The image actually looked pretty good, and I think they were only 720p. I need to try a computer animated movie. Those are usually bright, colorful and razor sharp.
The horror!
Old 12-12-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched "Open Season" in 3D last night. The 3D effect was great all throughout the film, but the overall image quality definitely paled in comparison to the 2D version. Not as bright, sharp or colorful. I guess if I want the best of both worlds I'll have to get a 3D LED or plasma some day.
Old 01-05-11, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried to hook up the ps3 to the reciever then the reciever to the adapter then the adapter to the tv it should work thats the problem i had
Old 01-05-11, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

na i have the mits and the panny and as where the panny has a brighter pic and better colors you can on some movies notice alot of flaws like ghosting i dont care what anybody says its there but for the movies that dont have it they look rediculious but overall i like the theater look of the mits so save the money unless you can have both just my opion.
Old 01-05-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by danmanHD
have you tried to hook up the ps3 to the reciever then the reciever to the adapter then the adapter to the tv it should work thats the problem i had
I tried that hook up, but my current receiver won't pass the 3D signal. So for awhile now I've had the PS3 hooked up to the adapter, the adapter to the TV, and the audio from the PS3 to the receiver via optic cable (which, of course, means no 7.1 lossless audio). However, this morning I ordered a new receiver that will let me enjoy 7.1 lossless and 3D at the same time (used some Xmas cash and gift cards so it didn't cost me anything).
Old 01-05-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I tried that hook up, but my current receiver won't pass the 3D signal. So for awhile now I've had the PS3 hooked up to the adapter, the adapter to the TV, and the audio from the PS3 to the receiver via optic cable (which, of course, means no 7.1 lossless audio). However, this morning I ordered a new receiver that will let me enjoy 7.1 lossless and 3D at the same time (used some Xmas cash and gift cards so it didn't cost me anything).
I hate to break it to you, but the PS3 can't output lossless audio and 3D video at the same time, so you're just as well sticking with optical. See the "Limitations on Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback" on this page.
Old 01-05-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
I hate to break it to you, but the PS3 can't output lossless audio and 3D video at the same time, so you're just as well sticking with optical. See the "Limitations on Blu-ray 3D Disc Playback" on this page.
Bummer. I didn't know that. I was going to cancel my order, but then I decided not to. They way I figure it, right now I never hear lossless audio or 7.1 channels because I'm using optic all the time. Using an HDMI cable with the new receiver, I'll at least be able to hear 2D Blu-rays in 7.1 lossless audio. And hopefully, I'll be able to hear 7.1 channels in some lossy format while watching 3D content. Maybe some day I'll get a dedicated 3D Blu-ray player... or maybe a future PS3 firmware update will fix this? If not, maybe the PS4 will support 7.1 lossless audio in 3D mode? Oh well.
Old 01-05-11, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Bummer. I didn't know that. I was going to cancel my order, but then I decided not to. They way I figure it, right now I never hear lossless audio or 7.1 channels because I'm using optic all the time. Using an HDMI cable with the new receiver, I'll at least be able to hear 2D Blu-rays in 7.1 lossless audio.
Oh definitely. You'll still be gaining lossless on most of the content you watch, so it's worth it. I didn't mean to steer you away from the new receiver altogether.

And hopefully, I'll be able to hear 7.1 channels in some lossy format while watching 3D content. Maybe some day I'll get a dedicated 3D Blu-ray player... or maybe a future PS3 firmware update will fix this?
I'm not positive, but my understanding is that it's a limitation of the HDMI chip in the PS3, so it can't be fixed with a firmware update.

If not, maybe the PS4 will support 7.1 lossless audio in 3D mode? Oh well.
I think that's a pretty safe bet, assuming 3D movies on Blu-ray are still prevalent.
Old 01-13-11, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a pair of Optoma DLP Link glasses yesterday. What a difference! The deep blacks and high contrast ratio I was used to seeing on my TV is back. The 3D picture quality is now as good (or damn near close to) the 2D picture quality. They're kind of heavy and ugly, but they definitely outperform the Mitsubishi/Samsung glasses. They're also cheaper and don't require an emitter. If you've got a Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV, don't waste your time and money (like I did) on the Mitsubishi/Samsung glasses.
Old 01-14-11, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a pair of Optoma DLP Link glasses yesterday. What a difference! The deep blacks and high contrast ratio I was used to seeing on my TV is back. The 3D picture quality is now as good (or damn near close to) the 2D picture quality. They're kind of heavy and ugly, but they definitely outperform the Mitsubishi/Samsung glasses. They're also cheaper and don't require an emitter. If you've got a Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV, don't waste your time and money (like I did) on the Mitsubishi/Samsung glasses.
I've recently set up my Mitsubishi DLP with all the Starter Kit 3D gear and noticed that there is a greenish/bluish tint to the black levels when watching 3D Blu-rays and can't figure out how to fix it. Are you saying these glasses will take care of that? Also, did you find a better price than the $90 at Amazon?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Next hot topic thread:

"Which 3D glasses are the bes?"
Old 01-14-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clintilona
I've recently set up my Mitsubishi DLP with all the Starter Kit 3D gear and noticed that there is a greenish/bluish tint to the black levels when watching 3D Blu-rays and can't figure out how to fix it. Are you saying these glasses will take care of that? Also, did you find a better price than the $90 at Amazon?

Thanks!
Yes!

I was so disappointed with the picture quality of 3D content on my Mits that I started looking at new LCD and plasma 3D TV's. Fortunately, I read on another forum about other Mits owners complaining about the same thing, and that's where I learned about the Optoma glasses.

The reason for the washed out picture with the Mits gear is because DLP TV's insert a white flash between frames to get the video in sync with the glasses. This is how they work without an emitter. In older Mits DLP's, the white flash cannot be manually turned off, so the flash is present even when using an emitter. Our eyes perceive this flash as a washed out picture (low contrast).

When I put my Mits into 3D mode (even before I've put a 3D disc into my PS3), the screen takes on a greenish tint. And when I used the Mits/Samsung glasses to watch How to Train Your Dragon, the opening night scene was a bear to watch because the picture was too dark and anything that was suppsoed to be black appeared blue.

The Optoma glasses correct all of these issues. I have a black background as my wallpaper on my PS3. When the TV is in 2D mode, it appears black. When the 3D mode is on without the glasses turned on, it appears greenish. When the 3D mode is on and the glasses are turned on, however, it appears black again. And now when I watch the opening scene in HTTYD with the Optoma glasses, black colors appear black, and I can actually tell what's going on; I can distinguish one dark color from another and make out details. This is the quality I was used to seeing after watching 2D content on this TV for 2+ years.

By the way, these glasses use the reverse setting on your Mits, so you can't use them at the same time as the Mits/Samsung glasses since those use the normal setting. I bought my pair from J&R Electronics (jr.com) for $79.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 01-14-11 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Next hot topic thread:

"Which 3D glasses are the bes?"
Not a bad idea.
Old 01-15-11, 10:16 AM

Yes! By the way, these glasses use the reverse setting on your Mits, so you can't use them at the same time as the Mits/Samsung glasses since those use the normal setting. I bought my pair from J&R Electronics (jr.com) for $79.
Have you tried the Mitsubishi glasses and the Optoma glasses at the same time while using the Mitsubishi adapter? I think I read somewhere that DLP Link glasses would work with emitter glasses when going through that adapter. I could be wrong.

Anyways, thank you kindly for the excellent response. I just ordered a pair of the Optoma's to try and if they work like I'm hoping they will, I'll grab another pair for the wife.

Thanks again!
Old 01-15-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you tried the Mitsubishi glasses and the Optoma glasses at the same time while using the Mitsubishi adapter? I think I read somewhere that DLP Link glasses would work with emitter glasses when going through that adapter. I could be wrong.

Anyways, thank you kindly for the excellent response. I just ordered a pair of the Optoma's to try and if they work like I'm hoping they will, I'll grab another pair for the wife.

Thanks again!
You're welcome! I haven't tried the different glasses at the same time, but I would be surprised if they worked simultaneously since one requires the reverse setting on the TV and the other requires the normal setting. I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my Mits/Samsung glasses anyway. I'd like my guests to have the best possible 3D experience, so that means ordering more Optoma glasses.
Old 01-20-11, 05:05 PM

You're welcome! I haven't tried the different glasses at the same time, but I would be surprised if they worked simultaneously since one requires the reverse setting on the TV and the other requires the normal setting. I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my Mits/Samsung glasses anyway. I'd like my guests to have the best possible 3D experience, so that means ordering more Optoma glasses.
Received the Optoma's today and just gave them a test run. You were absolutely right about the difference in quality. No more greenish/bluish tint. Just beautiful. The black levels are now spot on. I couldn't be happier.

I just ordered another pair for the wife and will hold out for an incredible deal to get at least two more pair for guests.

Now I just need to see how much I can get for my four pair of Mitsubishi / Samsung glasses & Mitsubishi emitter, none of which are needed any longer.
Old 01-21-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received the Optoma's today and just gave them a test run. You were absolutely right about the difference in quality. No more greenish/bluish tint. Just beautiful. The black levels are now spot on. I couldn't be happier.

I just ordered another pair for the wife and will hold out for an incredible deal to get at least two more pair for guests.

Now I just need to see how much I can get for my four pair of Mitsubishi / Samsung glasses & Mitsubishi emitter, none of which are needed any longer.
That's great! I was skeptical about them at first. I didn't think changing glasses would make any difference, but thank god I took a chance. It's too bad Mitsubishi isn't packing them in their 3D Starter Kit. The current glasses in the kit make a bad first impression, and that will put a lot of people off the whole 3D thing. I now have 4 pairs of Optomas, and I have 4 pairs of Mits/Samsung glasses to sell like you!

By the way, I read somewhere that Optoma announced at the 2011 CES that they've improved their glasses for 2011: they will now come with hinges in the arms so they can fold. Apparently, the arms can break near the open slots on the arms. Luckily, this hasn't happened to mine, but I treat them with a lot of TLC. Maybe when the 2011's come out, you can pick up 2 more pairs of 2010's on clearance.

Last edited by Joe Schmoe; 01-22-11 at 11:30 AM.