Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Living Room - Home Theater Setup Recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

I'm trying to piece together a decent sounding setup for my living room.

I don't have a budget, but looking to spend the least amount to get something decent. The absolute max would be 2k, the lower the better.

The caveats being I do not want to run wires. Thus I'm probably going to get a sourroundbar, receiver sub. I'm not sure of the exact room size but would guess it's like 17X10.

I already have a Panasonic plasma, and wireless blue ray player.

Thus I'm thinking of the following:

Receiver - Marantz NR1501 (50wX7) - $399

Bar - Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 Speaker or SSA-50 Speaker $799-$1150 depending which I go with

Sub - Klipsch Reference Series RPW-10 $389

I'm by no means in the know on speakers, I simply surveyed the land and found the above which I assume should be solid based upon review.

Any recommendations for an alternate setup or thoughts is appreciated. I'll be honest I've never heard a Surroundbar in person, and will try to hunt one down before I buy. My wife ok's this setup simple because it's clutter free.
Old 10-26-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Living Room - Home Theater Setup Recommendations

im pretty sure people arent going to like your sub choice.
Old 10-26-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't listened to recent soundbars. But they are generally overpriced and overhyped. A normal 2 speaker system would be preferable to every one I've heard. (to me) The surround from such things is gimmicky and usually has a very small sweet spot, with other locations sounding weird in various ways. A straight stereo setup will sound good in all of the room.

And name brand subs are nothing compared to some quality internet brands which you may not have heard of. Hence chino's comment. Something like that Klipsch will barely play sound deeper than your average tower speaker, and you won't even hear that because you'll have turned its volume down so much since its mid-bass will be so loud. Essentially negates its existence.

I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone who would expect my standard suggestion to be coming, so...I love SVS subs, and their speakers are well-received, too. Also partial to Paradigm, which are likely found in a nice stereo/theater shop near you.

Something like this plus that receiver would be very nice, well under $2k. A low-end Marantz like the one you mention would make an excellent 2 channel receiver, where its amp didn't have to try to run 5 or 7 speakers. And, if you ever did decide to move up to actual surround, you'd already have half of it in place, whereas a soundbar then becomes a $1000 purchase you have to replace.
Old 10-27-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Yea, I have yet to hear a sound bar that sound good. Right now in my living room I'm just going with a 3.1 set up (tho now that the weather has cooled, I'm going to run wires in the attic for surrounds).

I'd go 3.1 set up over a sound bar.

Why don't you want to run wires? What is the issue? Since you already have the TV, you can get a decent set up in your range and probably hire a guy to run wires for you if your not comfortable with it.

But if your mind is made up, skip the sound bar and go 3.1. And yea, I'd recommend SVS or HSU for the sub. Especially since you have room in your budget. This will give you more options down the road and well as better sound (IMO) now.
Old 10-27-10, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback thus far. I'm not in love with the suggestions I threw out, so I'll def look at the ones you're suggesting.

In terms of why not run the wires, well my wife is against having speakers sitting around the room and prefers the soundbar simply because it's one speaker I can put in front of the tv or on the cabinet I have and not be distracting.

It's not really to save money, but to instead save clutter in her mind.

I know I won't have as good as sound, but I'm hoping I can get something that sounds pretty good and she will approve of.
Old 10-27-10, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
I haven't listened to recent soundbars. But they are generally overpriced and overhyped. A normal 2 speaker system would be preferable to every one I've heard. (to me) The surround from such things is gimmicky and usually has a very small sweet spot, with other locations sounding weird in various ways. A straight stereo setup will sound good in all of the room.

And name brand subs are nothing compared to some quality internet brands which you may not have heard of. Hence chino's comment. Something like that Klipsch will barely play sound deeper than your average tower speaker, and you won't even hear that because you'll have turned its volume down so much since its mid-bass will be so loud. Essentially negates its existence.

I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone who would expect my standard suggestion to be coming, so...I love SVS subs, and their speakers are well-received, too. Also partial to Paradigm, which are likely found in a nice stereo/theater shop near you.

Something like this plus that receiver would be very nice, well under $2k. A low-end Marantz like the one you mention would make an excellent 2 channel receiver, where its amp didn't have to try to run 5 or 7 speakers. And, if you ever did decide to move up to actual surround, you'd already have half of it in place, whereas a soundbar then becomes a $1000 purchase you have to replace.
Spiky

So, you would recommend picking up like the following (SCS-02(C/M) "Front three" speaker package*):

http://www.svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm

Would that Marantz receiver be adequate for those, or would you swap that out with something different. I simply picked that because I've heard of the brand and liked the smaller size.

Is it terrible to go with a 3.1 and have the two front speakers sitting on the floor next to my cabinet versus having them mounted and/or on stands? I know it's not ideal, but anybody tried that setup? If it's not terrible I may be able to get away with that setup - out of sight out of mind with my wife

In terms of the sub, you're saying something like this would give me better range? It's not a ton more, so I would be open to it. If not that you recommend something different SVS wise?
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm
Old 10-27-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh the old WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)....Nice...been there done that....

The key is getting creative. In the living room I actually my front main speakers in an wicker decorative thing (I'll have to find or take a pic). And I had bought an faux antique buffet so I could hide the equipment. I was going drill holes in the top to really hide the wires, but meh, didn't need to.

When I put in surround speakers I plan to ceiling mount them so not sitting on the floor.

None of this is idea for ultimate sound. But it is living room friendly and has a hight WAF!

Here is a pic. I started by putting the CC in the cabinet, but than I added an RF sensor so I could run TV without opening doors. So I moved the CC up. I've been toying with the idea to mounting the TV on the wall. Then I'd put the CC in a small box with speaker mesh on the front.

Those wicker "things" on the side are what my speakers are in. They are actually cheap sort of wicker pots that I just flipped upside down and wife put fake foliage and stick ball on top.

You may not like this. And that is ok....I'm just saying there are creative ways to fit normal surround in a living room or other areas that you don't want them to stick out.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 10-27-10 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 11:37 AM

Interesting.

So your speakers are literally inside those pots?

That's really cool.
Old 10-27-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

It's like the demo they give you in the Bose store. [Move the box.] - Aha! We tricked you.
Old 10-27-10, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd probably go with stereo, meaning 2 speakers + sub. The reason is I don't know if I like the 3.1 surround mode in receivers, which reduces the standard 5.1 to 3.1. I know the stereo down-convert is good because it is built into the DVD and BD systems. And the purpose of the center speaker is always to anchor the voices right at the screen. Stereo actually does quite well for that, esp if you are just going to put the speakers right next to a mid-sized TV, and I assume you don't have the 103" plasma. To me, it just isn't worth paying for a 3rd speaker, unless you have definite plans to finish off a full surround system and are buying piece by piece.

But, if you do go with 3, what you want is to have the drivers about the same height, if possible. Tower speakers tend to have the drivers at the top, so they are essentially the same height as bookshelf models sitting on stands. You don't have to, but having them all at the same height makes the sound more uniform. The ideal is to make it so you can close your eyes and you can't tell where the speakers are, seamless sound.

And yes, that sub from SVS can absolutely destroy the Klipsch. I like Klipsch, I run 7 of their speakers right now, but my sub is SVS. A $500 sub from SVS compares favorably to a $1200 sub from the brands you see at Best Buy or high-end stores. (you should see what SVS's $1200 subs compare to) There are competitors for SVS in the same price range, but not generally at physical stores, since the price goes up with the old style supply chain. Hsu Research, Emotiva, Outlaw Audio are some other internet brands that I would consider for subs. (Hsu is also sold at some stores, I believe)
Old 10-27-10, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
It's like the demo they give you in the Bose store. [Move the box.] - Aha! We tricked you.
But knowing Spiky, he probably actually has quality speakers.
Old 10-27-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Interesting.

So your speakers are literally inside those pots?

That's really cool.
Yup. Wife found them at Pier One or someplace like that. They were inexpensive and wicker so sound is ok thru them. You could do something else.

Originally Posted by Superman07
Yup and pretty much where I got the idea. Wife and I saw a Bose set up with their tinny speakers mounts in lamps. They actually ran the speaker wine in the lamp with the cord for the light.

But of course I wasn't going to buy Bose, or speakers that small. So I started looking for boxes (such as a single shadow box) that I could put black cloth or fabric over to hide the speaker. We ran across these and picked them up. I have a decorative box for the CC, but unless I mount the TV on the wall, it is to tall.
Old 10-27-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shelland
But knowing Spiky, he probably actually has quality speakers.
Well I don't think Spiky would put his speakers in anything...lol

But I have Celeston speakers. Both for living room any theater (you can see in my signature). They are kissing cousins to KEF.

I'm happy with them for the money. They got good reviews when the set was a grand. Best Buy tried to carry them, but ended up clearing them out for like $150 or something. So I jumped on them.

I like them. But certainly not "high end".
Old 10-28-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Running wires can seem like a hassle but they are pretty easy and the results are worth it. If you have a basement, problem solved. My parents utilized some very small surrounds that come up through the floor and are on the side tables next to the couch. Just walking in to the room you don't even see them on the table. The only problem with running them through an exterior wall is if the joists have a fire break in them (a horizintal joist meant ot slow the rise of fire). If you do it's a hassle to get higher than that. If not all you need is a fish tape; about $20 at the Home Depot. It's like a 20' long coat hanger. A small hole where the speaker will be mounted and run the tape. Attach the wire and real it in. Done.
Old 10-28-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Attics are easy. Generally. In my media room I ran into the problem of the heater being in the way. But I was able to work around that. In the living room is the hard part. I have 10" ceilings and a low roof line. You can't even crawl over the living room in the attic. Now that it is cooler, I plan to mess with it some.
Old 10-29-10, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback all.

I'm afraid this is in the living room and the middle floor. So no access to attic and the basement is finished (no drop ceiling) so it would be a real chore that route too.

Plus, my wife simply doesn't want a bunch of random speakers spread across the room.

I think I'm going to get like the SVS sub, the sub bar and a receiver, so take some advice but not all I'll let you know what I determine once I get the gear.

I'll then need to find a decent remote to control it all.
Old 10-29-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
Thanks for the feedback all.

I'm afraid this is in the living room and the middle floor. So no access to attic and the basement is finished (no drop ceiling) so it would be a real chore that route too.

Plus, my wife simply doesn't want a bunch of random speakers spread across the room.

I think I'm going to get like the SVS sub, the sub bar and a receiver, so take some advice but not all I'll let you know what I determine once I get the gear.

I'll then need to find a decent remote to control it all.
Well, since your all about the WAF (and nothing wrong with that) get a Harmony. It is a great remote and once set up (easy set up) very hight WAF. The remote will literally say "Watch TV" and you push one button and it activates everything needed to watch TV. And when done, there is one power button to turn everything off.

It can handle a wide variety of things. In my media room I have it control even my lights, pj and HDMI switcher. In bar I have a simple set up that only controls Dish, TV and DVD player.

Wife use to refuse to use media room. With remote it is easy....and like I say it is a good remote. Can be very powerful and lots of options.
Old 10-29-10, 10:11 AM

Thanks, I was thinking of a Harmony One

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_596ONE/...ne.html?tp=608

Is this what you recommend? I'll simply have a receiver, bluray, tv and comcast dvr cable box - I assume you can't set it up for the comcast dvr can you by chance?
Old 10-29-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup the Harmony One is nice. I'm hoping for a BF deal to replace my trusty old 880. I still use the 880, but a few of the buttons stick.

Yes, you can make the Harmony work with anything. Likely they have your unit listed in the bank of devices. You use to be able to take a test drive and check at the Harmony Web site (the Harmony is a web based programing system).

Yup, you can check to see if they have your exact device at the Harmony site.

http://myremotesetup.com/EasyZapper/...ath=ProcSpice/

I see it has Comcast listed, but obviously I don't know the model number to your unit. But I'd be shocked if they didn't have it. And if you have some really odd ball thing they don't have listed, it is a programmable remote. But I'd bet a beer they have everything you could ever want.

As mentioned, I use mine to control a wireless light switch and a HDMI switcher by Monoprice. These items were listed in their bank.

All the Harmony's work the same. Just different button layouts, color or BW screens, rechargeable, etc.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 10-29-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-29-10, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info, sounds promising.

I actually just ordered the Mythos 42" Amazon has the silver one for $385 with free shipping versus $799 I was seeing it at most places in black.

All specs appear to the be same plus my cabinet has a spot to put it in, and covered with a screen - so color is immaterial.

I just need to decide and order a sub situation and receiver.
Old 10-30-10, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Because wife approval is the main factor here, make sure you pay particular attention to the dimensions on the sub. I have a 12" SVS sub, and it is enormous. It is amazing though.
Old 11-01-10, 09:42 AM

Thanks. The things some of us do for our significant other

We just had the furniture delivered on Friday, and my wife said this is where the sub can go. Based upon the dimensions I might have to pick up an 8" or something, because it's around 12X12 is what I'm looking at to put behind this one chair.
Old 11-01-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Imprint
Because wife approval is the main factor here, make sure you pay particular attention to the dimensions on the sub. I have a 12" SVS sub, and it is enormous. It is amazing though.
You should try a dual-12".
Old 11-04-10, 11:59 AM

I wanted to give everybody an update.

The Mythos sound bar arrived and it seems very high quality. I'm glad I went with the silver versus black for a 415 dollar savings since it will be going into my cabinet and hidden behind the screen and the exact same thing.

I have not yet tried it, so I can't comment on the sound - I'm still waiting on my receiver. I ended up going with a Onkyo TXSR608. I liked the Mirantz, but it didn't have HDMI pass through and I can't imagine my wife always turning the receiver on, so again I"m hoping it's worth spending the extra bucks for a few more features and power. I haven't had Onkyo before, but it did appear to have good ratings.

No decision on the sub or remote yet. I'm thinking I will likely need to get the Logitech Harmony 900 so I can have RF support and not worry if the components are visible or not.