DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

complete surround sound package

Old 09-01-00, 06:45 PM

I have had a DVD player for sometime but have not had the surround sound. I am currently saving my money for a house therefore do no want to put a ton of cash into surround sound until I get my house. For that reason I was thinking of purchasing a receiver, speaker combo to get me by until then. Something in the 400-600 dollar range. Does anyone have any opinion on this, what brands are best, which models have DTS and so on? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-00, 06:54 PM
Retired

I bought a Sony STR-DE835 receiver, and a Sony SA-VE315 speaker package for right around $600 at sears a few months ago. I'm totally happy with it. New models have came out, so I'm not sure what the equivalent numbers are or if they are still in the same price range.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 09-01-00, 10:25 PM
jdb

I agree, the 835 is a nice recvr. Could be several years before you even think of up grading this unit. DTS and remote encluded.

As to speakers, there are several, just short of worthless, "packages" out there @ your corner retailer. Snoop out CC or BB and let the price tag guide your purchase.

While these will Produce a surround for your room (getting you by) Might I suggest a different approach?

Demo some speaker systems. JBL, AR, Polk... What ever catches your ears, right?
Your aiming high here at this point because you'll only buy the surrounds right now. When the next bag of money drops on your head, go back and get the matching sub. Then the fronts, then the center...(not necessarily in that order but you get my point?)

Point is you dont wind up with a box of el cheapo speakers that have no quality, ability, or resale value, sitting in the garage of your new home.

Enjoy the shopping, jdb

------------------
Flame suit not required
Peabody Theatre
Old 09-02-00, 03:24 PM

Check out Kenwoods HTB-503, comes with everything you need to play DD/DTS with your TV/DVD player! All 6 speakers, a great reciever, the VR407, which I have, and its great, 600 watts of power, many inputs, outputs, and digital inputs (4, 2Co.2Op.) and more.

------------------
A NEW DIMENSION to MP3... Bring life to your stereo system, your computer speakers, your home theater system, any size, any amount of speakers, these high-bitrate MP3s will bring life to your system:

MP3FX - CLICK HERE

Check it out... No matter how good or bad your speakers are, this will give sounds you never thought yout $8 computer speaks could put out!
Old 09-02-00, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Normally I would not reccomend a HTIB as a primary system but if you are on a tight budget and are looking for something functional but decent in the short term by all means go for it. However I have listened to several of them including the Kenwood system mentioned above and I would say the best one I found was the Pioneer HTIB. I don't remember the model # but it goes for around $600 and not only sounds good but comes with a neat LCD remote. The Sony one is also pretty good ( I beleive it is called the Dream Theater).

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.