DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Recommendations for DVD player

Old 08-31-00, 04:52 PM
Pam

Is it possible to just have a DVD player going to your TV. I have a Sony WEGA tv and would like to watch DVDs. I am still researching my "ideal" HT setup but would in the meantime like to watch DVD movies. Is this possible and what would you recommend? I'm assuming my TV will handle the sound in a passable fashion. I currently have a very nice stereo audio system in this area so do not need that capability. I'm assuming eventually I will want to combine these both into one HT system.
Old 08-31-00, 05:53 PM

Yes Pam, it is possible, but you will only be able to listen to DVDs in stereo, rather than Dolby Digital/DTS. If you plan to integrate this all in the future, I'd recommend getting a DVD player (Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer seem to be the favorites- I have a Tosh and LOVE it) that outputs a DD/DTS signal - nothing too high end. This way, you will be able to hook it up to a future receiver with a DD/DTS decoder.

In any case, there's no reason you can't start enjoying DVDs now, so long as you aren't expecting super theater quality sound.

Good Luck!
Old 09-01-00, 01:52 PM
jdb

Greetings Pam,

You should be able to plug and play just about any DVD with only minor pains. I would recomend the Sony line of DVD as the cost seems a large factor.

Pains:
1. cable choice.
2. decoder/ no decoder.
3. 24 or 32 bit processing.
4. Compatiablity with future gear.

Cbales: Component-best, Svid-good, Composite-fair. Monster-$$$, Better-$$, Beldon-$$ snoop these out, eh?

Here I rec. Better Component cables to kick off your budding system in a fine fashon.

DVD w/ a decoder cost more But you'll need that for DD or DTS with your current "Stereo". Any recvr., worth it's salt, with have a DD/DTS decoder so in the long run you'll have paid for one that just gathers dust.

Your TV will handle the front sound but what about the surrounds/ subs?

Thinking an "Ideal HT" is much more then then A/V gear. Not to be Sharky, but "HT' means a sound treated room (RT60), Total light control (IR), A few seats at presice locations, and the only thing thats happens in there is Watching films. "Theatre" also inplies screen and projector.

You can compromise the room for the inclusion of music listening and movie watching but these are two different animals that need two different cages, "Ideally".
That would be called a "Media room".

My two cents. Enjoy, jdb

------------------
Flame suit not required
Peabody Theatre