DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Subwoofer hum

Old 08-19-00, 05:06 PM
ehh

Is it normal for a powered subwoofer to hum? I noticed that my new sub, a Velodyn CT-120, hums (buzzes) when signals are not being received. Even with the input cables disconnected, the hum is still present. I also discovered that if I touch the speaker terminals in the back of the sub, the hum changes tone. I tried various AC outlets around the house (with and without a surge protector). The house is only a year and a half old. My wife does not think the hum is a big deal since you need to get close to it in order to hear the hum. I don't remember a humming sound from the CT-80 sub that I used to have.

Old 08-19-00, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is your sub grounded? If it's not, that could be the problem...
Old 08-20-00, 02:46 AM

No, it's not normal for powered subwoofer to hum, That normally indicates bad shielding somewhere. If you disconnect the input cable to your subwoofer and it still hums, I would think you have a defective powered subwoofer. I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I would suggest that you trade it in for another one.

[This message has been edited by DVDAnimation (edited August 19, 2000).]
Old 08-20-00, 04:01 AM
ehh

Thanks for the replies! Yes, when I disconnect the input cable, the hum is still there. Also disturbing, was the fact that the hum would change tones when I touched the speaker terminals in the back of the sub.

I took the sub back and had them open up another one, but the hum was still there. I listened to a 12" Polk Audio sub, and there was no hum or any other noise coming from the sub. Any suggestions for a good sub around $500?
Old 08-20-00, 04:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ehh:
I listened to a 12" Polk Audio sub, and there was no hum or any other noise coming from the sub. Any suggestions for a good sub around $500?

Klipsch KSW-12 would be my suggestion. It rocks! Check out the reviews here:
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_7731.shtml

Priced from $320-$450 here:
http://www.pricescan.com/electronics...item502851.asp

Old 08-20-00, 02:00 PM

If it is still under warranty why not try complaining to the manufacturer. I had you same problem with an Infinity sub and although it took a little persistance they replaced mine with a more expensive model. So it actually worked out great this way. Solved the hum problem and got a better sub for no extra charge. Don't know if Velodyne will do this but it seems worth a shot.
Old 08-21-00, 10:38 PM

Try plugging it into a different electrical outlet, preferably one your other electronic equiment isn't hooked up to.
Old 08-22-00, 02:56 PM
AW

Maybe it doesn't know the words.

Seriously, it sounds like a grounding problem. Try a new cable.
Old 08-22-00, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Velodyne has a couple of decent models under $500. They're available at Circuit City, among other places.

------------------
Whadda you say, honey? Feeling stupid? I know I am! -Homer Simpson, American Hero
DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?
Old 08-23-00, 02:58 AM

Here is what you do. Do not go out and get another sub. Go and get a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter for the plug on your sub, plug it in and the hum will magicly dissappear!

The exact same thing happened when I got a new sub, at first I panicked thinking I would have to return it, but this simple solution resolved the problem.

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 08-23-00, 04:08 AM
ehh

I wish I still had the sub with me so I can try these suggestions.

What's the theory behind the 3 prong to 2 prong adaptor? If I have some sort of electrical issue, perhaps other subs I purchase will suffer the same fate?

Anyone care to comment between the Velodyn CT-120 and the Paradigm PS-1000? I really liked the CT-120 before I discovered the hum. I haven't demoed the PS-1000 yet.
Old 08-23-00, 09:15 PM

My PSB subsonic 3i hums very slightly and it has a two prong power input. I like to have it off when not in use, so it is a only a minor annoyance to me.

------------------
Toshiba -- SD-2109
Da List

Ignorance is Bliss ... Take the blue pill.
Old 08-23-00, 10:44 PM

I've only ever owned a PS1000, so I can't comment on the CT120, but I love the Paradigm...I don't think you can beat it for the money.
Old 08-27-00, 09:29 PM

TTT.

Can we get and update?

------------------
Toshiba -- SD-2109
Da List

Ignorance is Bliss ... Take the blue pill.