Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Digital Decoder

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-00, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that a digital decoder is necessary for the ability to hear 5.1 Digital Dolby. However, I dont believe it is present in my current receiver.

Is there an advantage to buying a new receiver with the decoder in it?

Also, is there much difference between entry-level models and mid-priced DVD player models? I am not looking for multi-disc changers. My friend tells me that an entry level model is adequate.
Old 08-23-00, 03:06 AM

Yes the difference between Dolby ProLogic and Dolby Digital 5.1 is astonishing! I highly recommend it. Can't really be explained until it is heard.

Your friend is right, if you have a receiver with a decoder, all you need is an entry level DVD player. As long as it is a good brand like Toshiba, Sony or Pioneer. With the midrange players you are probably paying for a Digital decoder, or a 2-5 disc changer. And I do recommend getting a receiver with a DD/DTS decoder instead of one in the DVD player.

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"
Old 08-23-00, 03:09 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by d-rell:
And I do recommend getting a receiver with a DD/DTS decoder instead of one in the DVD player.
<HR>

Why?

Old 08-23-00, 04:03 AM

Good question, I thought you would ask.

1. You won't be able to get a dts decoder in a DVD player, just a Dolby Digital one.

2. Easier connection, just one digital cable connection (optical or coaxial) from DVD player to receiver, opposed to 6 different analog cables needed to connect if your decoder is in the player.

3. IMO, the quality of decoder is better in the receivers than in the players

If you do get a DVD player with a built in decoder, make sure your reciever is Dolby Digital "Ready" and has 5.1 channel inputs on the back.
Old 08-23-00, 04:14 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by d-rell:
Good question, I thought you would ask.

1. You won't be able to get a dts decoder in a DVD player, just a Dolby Digital one.

2. Easier connection, just one digital cable connection (optical or coaxial) from DVD player to receiver, opposed to 6 different analog cables needed to connect if your decoder is in the player.

3. IMO, the quality of decoder is better in the receivers than in the players

If you do get a DVD player with a built in decoder, make sure your reciever is Dolby Digital "Ready" and has 5.1 channel inputs on the back.
<HR>

OK. on inspection, my receiver has 6 ports for 5.1 speaker capability. Does that mean the decoder is inside? I ask because the standard is for receivers to label themselves as "dolby digital" ready on the front.... there is no such label on my Sony335 receiver.

Ok. another question. Dolby Digital is pretty freakin good. How much better is DTS? I hear that the difference is modest at best. I'm not sure if I want to shell out another $400 to buy a DTS ready receiver if the difference isnt worth it.
Old 08-23-00, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by koobird:
Ok. another question. Dolby Digital is pretty freakin good. How much better is DTS? I hear that the difference is modest at best. I'm not sure if I want to shell out another $400 to buy a DTS ready receiver if the difference isnt worth it.<HR>

You probably won't be able to hear the difference unless you have much more expensive equipment. DTS has a lower compression ratio than DD, so a DTS should sound more like the original recordings than a DD track in theory. However, the only difference I've ever been able to tell is when I'm listening on higher end receivers and speakers in the store.
Old 08-23-00, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by d-rell:
[B]Good question, I thought you would ask.

Not true....There are a couple of players on the market currently with DTS decoders in them...
Panasonic and Sony both have at least one on the market!!!

I would still recommend buying the receiver with both decoders included within the receiver!!!
Old 08-23-00, 10:46 PM
Cool New Member

The Following is what Sony says about about the 335 Model.
Stereo Mode: 100 watts per
channel x2, 8 ohms, 20 - 20,000 Hz,
0.09% THD
Surround Mode: 80 watts per
channel x5, 8 ohms, 1,000 Hz,
0.8% THD
5.1-channel input with surround
control
Dolby® Pro Logic® decoding
Virtual Dolby surround sound
Digital Signal Processing with 4
acoustic environments
Digital Cinema Sound system
with one Cinema Studio mode
Subwoofer output
5-function input selector
A/V UniCommander® remote
control with phosphorescent glow
keys
It does not say it has a Digital decoder. However it does say it has a 5.1-channel input with surround. That suggests to me that it is Digital Ready. If it is digital ready look at the Sony 560D player. That has a Digital Decoder. I agree with everyone else you would be better off buying a new reciever that has both decorders in it. Look at the Kenwood vr407 or the Jvc 6500. You can buy these two for under $250.00. Than buy a Sony 360 or Pioneer 333 for $200.00 dvd player. Why not go to Audioreview. com for more info.
Old 08-24-00, 04:39 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:

Not true....There are a couple of players on the market currently with DTS decoders in them...
Panasonic and Sony both have at least one on the market!!!

I would still recommend buying the receiver with both decoders included within the receiver!!!
<HR>

I figured this to be true. I also figured they would be harder to find and more expensive.

quote:<HR>
OK. on inspection, my receiver has 6 ports for 5.1 speaker capability. Does that mean the decoder is inside? I ask because the standard is for receivers to label themselves as "dolby digital" ready on the front.... there is no such label on my Sony335 receiver.
<HR>

I'm pretty sure your receiver does not have a decoder in it, since it has the 6 ch. inputs that means it is Dolby Digital and DTS ready and can take inputs from any external DD or DTS decoder.

------------------
"...that gum you like is going to come back in style"

[This message has been edited by d-rell (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old 08-24-00, 04:10 PM
Al

Koobird, If you have a Digital Ready receiver all you need is a decoder. J&R music has the Technics DD/DTS decoder..I don't know the price now.. but I bought it last year for around $120.
Getting DTS is really up to your viewing pleasure. If you aren't the home-theater type and just watch movies where the action is in front of you, then DD is ok. But, if you like the blown-out action then DTS is awesome. I have a nice surround setup(JVC/Cerwin Vegas) and DTS just blows away DD with clearer separation of action. If you want an example check out "Dragonheart" when the Dragon is flying around the knight and talking to him, it really feels like he's flying around you...DD is just not as dramatic. Another good one is Saving Private Ryan.

As for the DVD player, if you get a good name brand (Sony,JVC,etc.) it will do fine.
Old 08-25-00, 02:07 AM
Cool New Member

I made a copy of this from CNET.Com.
If you're going with an entry-level home theater system with neither digital decoder built in, try to choose one with six -a.k.a. a digital-ready system. That way, you can later buy another part of your system (like a DVD player or digital TV) with either kind of decoder, and the six inputs will be able to carry the separate channels of audio to the receiver and speakers.
If you have 6 inputs it should be digital ready system. Ask Sony if you still are not sure. With Progressive Recording Dvd Players coming soon. Buy a entry level dvd player. The Kenwood vr407 receiver or the Jvc 6500 receiver come with a DD/DTS decoder. You don't have to spent $400.00. For under $250.00 you can get a receiver with a DD/DTS decoder. Stick to a Sony or Pioneer Dvd Player at this time less promlems.
Old 08-25-00, 04:47 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Windowace:
Look at the Kenwood vr407 or the Jvc 6500. You can buy these two for under $250.00. Than buy a Sony 360 or Pioneer 333 for $200.00 dvd player. Why not go to Audioreview.com for more info.<HR>

Thank you!!!!! I will look them up.

This era is so freakin exciting. Who would have ever thought that we would be able to experience movie theater quality video and audio from our own homes? Who would have ever thought that all of the above can be had for under $800 (player, receiver, and speakers)? Who would have ever thought that we could earn the money to purchase the above from our homes by clicking on ad banners from Freeride? Who would have ever thought that we would be able to do all of our research on this topic without ever making a phone call or going to the library?

Sorry but I had to gush.

It's a time to be grateful for. Really.

Old 08-25-00, 04:52 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djones6746:
[b][QUOTE]Originally posted by d-rell:
I would still recommend buying the receiver with both decoders included within the receiver!!! <HR>

ok, from what I understand, the decoder present in the receiver allows you to experience more "media" in Dolby Digital (ie, Satellite TV). What are some other media one can experience in DD that a DD/DTS receiver is necessary for?

Old 08-25-00, 05:00 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Windowace:
With Progressive Recording Dvd Players coming soon. Buy a entry level dvd player. Stick to a Sony or Pioneer Dvd Player at this time less problems. <HR>

How soon are progressive scan players coming? Will they be affordable? I know they are available in the market right now, but they are luxury items only.

I will ask this again: will I be missing much if I buy an entry level player vs. a mid-priced player? Am I just missing the decoder?