Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

WTF? 2 sided dvd vs. 1 sided dvd, question!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

WTF? 2 sided dvd vs. 1 sided dvd, question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-00, 12:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I pop in "I know what you did last summer" on widescreen or so I thought. How come when I put the ws side down the standard version plays? BUT, I put a one sided dvd / cd in with the label up and of course it plays.

Why is this? ....I've alwas wondered why this happens. It's bugging the $hit out of me now! Is it just a Sony thing?

Jonathan

------------------
Less than 5 bucks a disc, check out the list!
Old 08-19-00, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the disc. By putting the ws facing up it'll play the ws version of the film. I don't know why they do this?
Old 08-19-00, 12:47 AM

Here's how it works... If you want to watch the Widescreen Version, then make sure you can see WIDESCREEN on top... If you want the standard, then make sure you see STANDARD on top... I guess this makes it simpler for really really new people with DVD and no experience with other dual-sided media...
Old 08-19-00, 12:49 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JBDomain:
It's the disc. By putting the ws facing up it'll play the ws version of the film. I don't know why they do this? <HR>

I bet a lot of people wonder WHY it works this way????

2 and counting......
Old 08-19-00, 12:51 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by electronix_kid:
Here's how it works... If you want to watch the Widescreen Version, then make sure you can see WIDESCREEN on top... If you want the standard, then make sure you see STANDARD on top... I guess this makes it simpler for really really new people with DVD and no experience with other dual-sided media...<HR>

Actually, I think this causes more confusion. I mean you would think: I want to watch ws I'll put it in face down....just like a one sided disc.

3 and counting....

Old 08-19-00, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
It confused me, at first. But, with one-sided DVDs or with CDs, the label is up, and the playing surface is down. SO, works the same with flippers, only the label is that teeny, tiny little bit around the center. The label always faces up, the playing side down. The label is not on the playing side, so the label goes up. If you want the WS, then put the WS label up, thus the WS playing side is down. It's just a fallback from CDs...
Old 08-19-00, 01:22 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaun3000:
It confused me, at first. But, with one-sided DVDs or with CDs, the label is up, and the playing surface is down. SO, works the same with flippers, only the label is that teeny, tiny little bit around the center. The label always faces up, the playing side down. The label is not on the playing side, so the label goes up. If you want the WS, then put the WS label up, thus the WS playing side is down. It's just a fallback from CDs...<HR>

I swear I had to read that 5 or 6 times before I got it. But, it makes sense what you're saying! In other words: the widescreen print that you read is like the label on a cd. Face it up if you want WS!

Jonathan

Old 08-19-00, 01:22 AM

See? It actually makes sense... All of us more familiar with media may think this way, but simpler people will see it like a 1sided CD... like how Shaun3000 said
Old 08-19-00, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It dates back to LD that whatever you read on the label will be what you see. With record albums it was simple because the needle rested on the same side as the label description. With LDs and DVDs, however, the laser reads from the bottom, so if the label says side one or widescreen it is referring to the bottom side of the disc. It makes sense if you think about it.

------------------
"Know wha I mean, know wha I mean. Nudge, nudge."
DVD Laserdisc
Old 08-19-00, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TdHtXs:
I swear I had to read that 5 or 6 times before I got it. But, it makes sense what you're saying! In other words: the widescreen print that you read is like the label on a cd. Face it up if you want WS!

Jonathan

<HR>

Sorry, I was a wee bit wired when I typed that. Teach me to drink coffee that late! OK, technically, it was frappacino, but, still...
Old 08-19-00, 02:52 AM
Banned

Sorry, I was a wee bit wired when I typed that. Teach me to drink coffee that late! OK, technically, it was frappacino, but, still...<HR>

Actually, I'm a little slow when it comes to things like that. Especially if I'm reading a joke or something (like you wrote). It just takes me several times before I get it.

I don't know......
Old 08-19-00, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, I was serious bout the label thing

The wired thing, I really was wired, but, um, not being all too serious... (man, it sucks when I have to explain myself! )
Old 08-20-00, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why on earth would you want to see widescreen? Don't you want the picture to cover your whole TV screen? Damn, I miss VHS!

hahahahahahha

/sarcasm
Old 08-21-00, 01:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

It confused me, at first. But, with one-sided DVDs or with CDs, the label is up, and the playing surface is down. SO, works the same with flippers, only the label is that teeny, tiny little bit around the center. The label always faces up, the playing side down. The label is not on the playing side, so the label goes up. If you want the WS, then put the WS label up, thus the WS playing side is down. It's just a fallback from CDs...<HR>

I was confused at first as well when I got my first 2-sided, but I came to the same conclusion as you (label up, data down).

-----------------------------

quote:<HR>Originally posted by weargle:
Why on earth would you want to see widescreen? Don't you want the picture to cover your whole TV screen? Damn, I miss VHS!
<HR>

Do you want me to go over there and kick your a$$?

------------------
DVD-ROM & PC Hardware Moderator
> DVD-ROM FAQ < - > [email protected] <
> MyList < - > MyWebSite < - > AIM: northrupjason <