Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Here's a freaky blu-ray experience that happened to me the other day...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Sunday, I went to a used dvd/blu-ray store in New Jersey and I bought a used blu-ray of a Dragonball Z cartoon movie for $4.00.
I bought this blu-ray only for 2 reasons:
1. It was cheap enough to just use the blu-ray case for some of my other used blu-rays that were missing cases/covers (blu-ray cases are hard to find) and chuck the movie since I don't care about Dragonball Z.
OR
2. Maybe I could sell it for more than what I payed for at this other used dvd/blu-ray store in New York City that gives good prices for used dvds/blu-rays.

On Monday during my lunch break, I went to this NYC used dvd/blu-ray store just to buy a used blu-ray of The Book of Eli (on Sunday, I saw on their website that they just received it) and maybe trade in/sell the Dragonball Z blu-ray depending how much cash or store credit they would give me. It turned out that this used Book of Eli blu-ray that I bought was missing the blu-ray case and cover, so I considered using the Dragonball Z blu-ray case for my Book of Eli blu-ray since I wasn't able to see how much credit I would get for my Dragonball Z blu-ray because their computer system was down that checks the credit prices. They told me to come back later. So I went back to work with my used caseless/coverless Book of Eli blu-ray and the Dragonball Z blu-ray in my hands. I downloaded a cover for The Book of Eli blu-ray, cut it to proper size, and then I was curious to see if it fitted in a blu-ray case. I reached for the Dragonball Z blu-ray case and I removed the cover and the inside ads. Here comes the crazy part: Once I removed the inside ads, there written on the inside of the Dragonball Z case was in big bold letters that spelled ELI! So the used Dragonball Z blu-ray was originally owned by some dude named Eli and he wrote his name in it. And here I was about to use that case for The Book of Eli blu-ray that I had just bought. That's just freaky!

I eventually didn't use that case for The Book of Eli since I went back to that store after work and I was able to sell the Dragonball Z blu-ray to the store for $8.00 (making 4 bucks profit). Later Monday night, I just used some other blu-ray cover that I had at home for my used Book of Eli blu-ray.

I just thought that was some freaky coincidence that I had to share with everyone.
Old 06-24-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Here's a freaky blu-ray experience that happened to me the other day...

freaky! go buy a lottery ticket
Old 06-24-10, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrong forum? This is an OTTER if ever there was one.
Old 06-24-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If only we had a forum for discussing Blu-rays ...

Originally Posted by toddly6666
(blu-ray cases are hard to find)
Not if you have access to the Internet.
Old 06-24-10, 03:26 PM

Wheird
Old 06-24-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Eli's comin', hide your heart, girl...
Old 06-24-10, 03:48 PM

Strange but true
Old 06-24-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Would it be threadcrapping to say you should have stuck with the Dragonball movie?
Old 06-24-10, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chocoboy87
Strange but true
strange AND true.

Old 06-25-10, 08:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

The first post sounds like one of my stream-of-consciousness rambles after I wake up from a really cool (to me) dream and feel like I need to share it immediately, so I call a friend and ramble it off, and they just sort of say, 'okay.....'.

But if this happened to me I'd probably post it too.
Old 06-25-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I thought this story was going to be some sort of accidental BDLive deal.
Old 06-25-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
If only we had a forum for discussing Blu-rays ...
It's not really about the blu-ray, it's more about the case. And the people in DVD Talk share more stories about DVD/blu-ray-related subjects than the people in HD talk!

Not if you have access to the Internet.
I meant hard to find in a store you can walk in. I don't want to buy a whole slew of them off the internet, nor do I want to wait for them to be mailed. Just as easy it is to buy just ONE dvd case in a store, I would like to see the same with blu-ray cases...
Old 06-25-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not really about the blu-ray, it's more about the case.
Well, we have a forum for discussions about cases, too!

I don't want to buy a whole slew of them off the internet, nor do I want to wait for them to be mailed. Just as easy it is to buy just ONE dvd case in a store, I would like to see the same with blu-ray cases...
So you'd rather pay $4 for one case, rather than $5 for five cases online? Good to know.
Old 06-25-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Well, we have a forum for discussions about cases, too!

So you'd rather pay $4 for one case, rather than $5 for five cases online? Good to know.
jeezus! It's not the point...nor have I ever spent any money on blu-ray cases...That's how much they sell blu-ray cases for? A dollar a case?? That's expensive...
Old 06-25-10, 04:26 PM

jeezus! It's not the point...nor have I ever spent any money on blu-ray cases...That's how much they sell blu-ray cases for? A dollar a case?? That's expensive...
Sonhowndo you normally get cases if you don't buy them? Do you steal them. And it's possible the guy's name could have been Elias or Elijah or even Eliomer and maybe he had a heart attack while he was spelling his writing his name or maybe he got a phone call and forgot to come back to it. Have you seen book of Eli? Congrats on your find
Old 06-25-10, 05:58 PM
Banned

Old 06-25-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Since there is already a post open for it I will share my recent freakish story.

Please be aware this is NOT DVD related. Though is quite weird

Last weekend I purchased 2 used albums on my Local Half Price Books.
"She & Him - Volume II" which I been meaning to get since it got released and "Rufus Wainwright - Poses". Never really heard his music but i heard the name pop up a few times so since it was just a $1.00 i decided to give it a try.

Anyways since these are new additions I been listening to these 2 albums almost exclusively so I noticed both have California inspired songs. Wainwright's "California" which starts with the line "California you're such a wonder that I'll think I'll stay in bed big time rollers" and She & Him's "Home" which starts with the line "California is a great big nation of one. "
Yes a common coincidence you might say, nothing weird yet.

So today driving to work, just as I am getting through the gate. The radio starts playing Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Californication". So I say to myself "What is it with people and California?". So I get to my desk, turn on my computer and as i look through my e-mails I get one from a co-worker saying I need to be in California next week to meet with some suppliers so I need to book a flight ASAP. So it seems all these California references were pointing at something... quite freaky.

I guess it could mean absolutely nothing. But as I went to lunch today I start my car and again the radio is playing Red Hot Chili Peppers but this time "Dani California "

Lets hope no other California song starts playing when I drive back home. Otherwise I might start to freak out...

Last edited by nando820; 06-25-10 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by civiclx
Sonhowndo you normally get cases if you don't buy them? Do you steal them.
Out of the 50+ used blu-rays I have, about 3 of them were missing the cases so I just stuck them in their dvd-cased versions. For Book of Eli bluray, I used the bluray case for my spaceballs blu-ray and then I transfered the spaceballs bluray to my spaceballs dvd case. Long story short, this doesnt happen often!

Last edited by toddly6666; 06-25-10 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 08:45 PM

I have no fucking cue what you just tried to say...
Old 06-27-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mmyersisgod
I have no fucking cue what you just tried to say...
You got reading comprehension issues?
Old 06-27-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The Blu-Ray of Eli already came out? Fuck!
Old 07-01-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My story is kind of DVD related.
Last weekend Saturday I was putting together a playlist at YouTube with music videos and performances. I was brainstorming a song and band but the names escaped me. I finally remembered, it was a song called "Only You Can" by a 70s group called "Fox".
The next morning I went to a gas station to buy me some soda and on my way back I was walking through a graveyard, that's when I noticed a tombstone next to the exit with two names on it that sounded familiar. Two sisters had died only four years apart and their last name was "Fox".
When I got home I told my sister and she said that she knew both well, and that she even went to school with one of them (one sister died of cerebral hemorrhage and the other from a stroke).
Later that day we watched a couple of DVDs. Our final movie was Wanted (2008) starring Angelina Jolie. Her name in the movie was "Fox".
Coincidence? True story though.
Old 07-01-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The Blu-Ray of Eli already came out? Fuck!
No, it hasn't! That's the freakiest thing about this whole thread!
Old 07-03-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only weird thing I got out of this was, there's a store that buys used DBZ blus for $8?!?

Also, I don't get why you'd buy the movie, toss the disc and use the case and THEN complain how expensive 5 blu cases are going for online. Did you not get that you paid $4 for that case if you used it on the book of eli?!?
Old 07-03-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
The only weird thing I got out of this was, there's a store that buys used DBZ blus for $8?!?

Also, I don't get why you'd buy the movie, toss the disc and use the case and THEN complain how expensive 5 blu cases are going for online. Did you not get that you paid $4 for that case if you used it on the book of eli?!?
The store that buys used dvds and blurays is called CEX. Check out their website at http://us.webuy.com/. They have stores in NYC, philadelphia, boston, and england. It is a great store! I think u can buy from them online but i never tried since i just go to the 5 stores they have in NYC.

I'll clarify the bluray case thing again. I would never pay more than a dollar for a case. I was just trying to say "if the store wouldnt buy the dragonball z blurays back, i would just chuck those into a dvd case and use that bluray case for something else." I was able to sell the dragonball z blu, so I didnt have to worry about that scenario. I used some other spare bluray case i had at home for my book of eli bluray.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.