Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New TV - 3D TV - Is it worth it?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New TV - 3D TV - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New TV - 3D TV - Is it worth it? Help me pick!

I'm looking to sell my Sony 60" Wega (KDS-60A2020) as my wife is worried it will crush our kids and it is too large we cannot move it in our living room (and I am ok with this as I like new stuff).

Anyways, I'm looking to get a 55" LCD or Plasma, and I noticed that 3D TV's are now the rage. I was curious if they are worth it at this point or should I wait? Also, how are the LED-LCD's?

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 06-26-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New TV - 3D TV - Is it worth it?

That's pretty subjective. Will you choose to watch 3D in your home? With $150 glasses?

LED-LCDs are generally better than the "old" LCDs for picture quality, because they've put their best stuff into the LED models. If you look at a true LED (no LCD) TV, that is probably the next big thing, but still expensive.

But most of the regulars here prefer plasma. Mainly because it throws a better pic.
Old 06-14-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I'm looking to sell my Sony 60" Wega (KDS-60A2020) as my wife is worried it will crush our kids

just make sure you don't have it teetering like a Jenga tower.
Old 06-14-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Totally agree...really subjective.

But personally I really have no interest. My theater room will seat 10 comfortably. And with kids and such I've had a lot more. I can't imagine spending more on 3D glasses than I did the entire theater room!!

Besides the cost, unlike HD/BD/Better sound/LED or other things that will benefit every movie, 3D is for a select few.

I admit that I'm slow to adapt to new technology (dear god I don't even have lossless audio!). But 3D is one of those things, I just don't have an interest in.
Old 06-14-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
(dear god I don't even have lossless audio!).
Not even a turntable?
Old 06-14-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd wait until the 2nd generation of the 3D sets, but that's just me.
Old 06-14-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Not even a turntable?
Original Rega Planar 3 Thank you very much...LOL

And my son wanted to set up a 2 channel set up. So I've gotten out my KEF 103.2's, original Meriden MCD and a Denon 2 channel receiver I have. He wants a turntable, but will see about the Rega. Not sure he really wants a fully manual turntable, but then he has no other experience lol
Old 06-15-10, 03:54 AM

Honestly, I don't think 3d TV is worth it as this stage. Having to wear special glasses to watch TV is just crazy if you ask me. I sampled it in a demo and I just didn't feel comfortable in wearing those glasses. Better wait till they can make it in a way that a person doesn't have to wear glasses.
Old 06-15-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I've never even seen a 3D movie at the theatre yet, but I was curious since I was in the market for a new TV. I don't really think I would care, I heard it was bad for your eyes anyways, so why start with it.

So, what is the best way to sell my old TV? I put it on Craigslist, no bites yet. Not even sure what a fair price is for my TV stated in the 1st post anyways.
Old 06-15-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to give 3D another two to three years to see if it succeeds, and to see if the upcoming technology which produces 3D without glasses is adopted.

I've seen the Best Buy demonstrations, and while cool, I'm not sold yet.

I've had laserdisc, SuperVHS, HD-DVD, VHS-ED (Extended Definition), and 8MM...I'm in no mood to invest in another, far more expensive piece(s) of equipment which seems more like a gimmick to me.
Old 06-15-10, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I've never even seen a 3D movie at the theatre yet, but I was curious since I was in the market for a new TV. I don't really think I would care, I heard it was bad for your eyes anyways, so why start with it.

So, what is the best way to sell my old TV? I put it on Craigslist, no bites yet. Not even sure what a fair price is for my TV stated in the 1st post anyways.
How much did you list it for???? I think new they were around $2500 but with the big drop in Big Screens prices , doubt you can get very much for it..

Used TV are not going for a lot these days..

DG
Old 06-15-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i have a 3 yr old samsung dlp that has 3D. is it the same thing? or is is this some new completely different 3D technology?
Old 06-15-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by chino77
i have a 3 yr old samsung dlp that has 3D. is it the same thing? or is is this some new completely different 3D technology?
No, it's not the same thing. Like others have posted, I'd wait until at least the 2nd generation sets show up. I suspect prices will drop considerably, glasses will be free and there will actually be regular content available.
I'm usually an early adopoter of technology and I really, really need a new TV... AND my next TV will be 3D... but I've gotta stay strong and wait for the 2nd gen sets.
Old 06-15-10, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V
No, it's not the same thing. Like others have posted, I'd wait until at least the 2nd generation sets show up. I suspect prices will drop considerably, glasses will be free and there will actually be regular content available.
I'm usually an early adopoter of technology and I really, really need a new TV... AND my next TV will be 3D... but I've gotta stay strong and wait for the 2nd gen sets.
thanks. i figured it wasnt. not that i really care. im not a 3D fan. i just wondered.
Old 06-15-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because not every program or every movie will benefit from the technology, and many people don't like it or get nauseus I don't seeing it getting beyond the niche stage
Old 06-16-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by disneyguy
How much did you list it for???? I think new they were around $2500 but with the big drop in Big Screens prices , doubt you can get very much for it..

Used TV are not going for a lot these days..

DG
I was thinking around $800-$1000 with the stand....

The only reason I asked about 3D is if I sell this soon, I would need a TV now, so I don't want to wait a few years for the 2nd Gen.
Old 06-16-10, 07:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

You figure that if Nintendo can do 3-D on its upcoming DS game machines without the need of special glasses, then the technology can be incorporated into larger screens. If Nintendo sells its machine for about $200, then a larger screen TV would be very expensive, not unlike large screen plasmas when they first appeared. Given time, just like plasma TVs, the price of large screen 3-D sets (not needing special glasses) would drop. That's my thinking.
Old 06-16-10, 09:36 PM

I'm not going to get into all the particulars, but I've thoroughly researched 3D tvs and am continuing to do so. My next HDTV must be 3D capable, and I expect to purchase it late this year or early next year. We'll be using shutter glasses for quite a few years to come; autostereoscopic (3D without glasses) will be a long time coming. A 3D HDTV is also a very good 2D HDTV, but if you're looking for the best price per inch, that won't be 3D capable, at least not for a few years.
Old 06-16-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Franchot
You figure that if Nintendo can do 3-D on its upcoming DS game machines without the need of special glasses, then the technology can be incorporated into larger screens. If Nintendo sells its machine for about $200, then a larger screen TV would be very expensive, not unlike large screen plasmas when they first appeared. Given time, just like plasma TVs, the price of large screen 3-D sets (not needing special glasses) would drop. That's my thinking.
Why would you think that? The DS has a very focused viewer, and only one of them. The 3D response can therefore be tuned to a certain angle and distance from the screen. A TV, esp large TVs, could have a dozen viewers, all with a different view angle. This makes the tech very difficult.
Old 06-17-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I will have to research more myself to see what the cost is between a 3D TV vs normal HDTV in the 55" range.

So, what do people think is a fair price for my TV? Has new professionally replaced bulb and 2 years left on the warranty. I know Sony sells the refurb for $1500
Old 06-17-10, 10:45 AM

Another vote for No. Not worth going 3D especially not this early, at least not for me.
Old 06-17-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, what do people think is a fair price for my TV? Has new professionally replaced bulb and 2 years left on the warranty. I know Sony sells the refurb for $1500
Tough call. Are there any in history on Ebay or Craigslist? People are really going away from the RPTVs, so it may be difficult to sell at any price. Wild speculation, I'd say you'll get $5-700, but that's not really based on anything concrete since I haven't looked at RPTV on any level in a long time.
Old 06-17-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I checked history on my TV and there was nothing for the actual TV....just the bulbs.
Old 06-17-10, 02:23 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiky
Why would you think that? The DS has a very focused viewer, and only one of them. The 3D response can therefore be tuned to a certain angle and distance from the screen. A TV, esp large TVs, could have a dozen viewers, all with a different view angle. This makes the tech very difficult.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ente...d-console.html

Nintendo gave Sony Corp. a poke in the eye Tuesday morning by announcing an agreement with Warner Bros., Walt Disney Co. and DreamWorks to deliver stereoscopic 3-D movies to Nintendo's upcoming 3DS hand-held console.
The next logical step would be to incorporate this technology into a full-sized TV and Nintendo would make a boatfull of money selling this technology. (And Nintendo is famous for making money.)

Having lived with old style projection TVs and LCDs where the optimal viewing angle is sitting directly in front of the screen, I think early adopters will "put up" with this restriction to get their 3-D fix until the technology improves and off-center viewing is respectable.

But I agree that the technology may be difficult, but I just don't see the 3-D glasses option catching on with enough people. So what's the alternative?
Old 06-17-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alternative:
2D for 2D screens, 3D for life. Check outside, it's there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.