Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Decided on Pioneer 302, need receiver.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Decided on Pioneer 302, need receiver.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-00, 06:55 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided to order the 302. So I figure I might as well get a decent reciever to accompany it. Is it best to get one by the same manufacturer? Or can someone suggest a good one to go with it? DO I need to get one with the decoder built in it or will the one in the 302 do the job? Is anyone currently offering free shipping/discount coupons with the 302 or receivers? If you can answer any of these and maybe let me know some places online that are good to order from I would be appreciative.
Old 08-14-00, 07:21 PM

What Use (music/HT), Pricerange are you looking for? How large is your room?
Old 08-14-00, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be helpful to people if you mentioned the following

1) your budget
2) are you going to use it for music too? If so, how much for music and how much for HT?
3) What features are important to you?
Old 08-14-00, 07:48 PM
Cool New Member

I have found the 302 listing anywhere from 340-400. I would like the price range on the receiver stay around 300.00. Am I asking too much? Now I don't expect this to sound like a $2500.00 system. I just want it to sound good. My current system (get ready to laugh) is just a Technics pro logic (model 470, I believe), a technics 5-disc carousel (on it's last leg for some reason), some relatively inexpensive bookshelf speakers and a no-name brand center. My point is "you gotta start somewhere". I feel the 302 is a good starting point for a mid grade system. I'll work on the speakers in time. I just need a decent reciever.
Use will be mostly dvd at first, but music is very important too.
Lastly, features are what I am in the dark about. I'm confused about the built in decoder thing I asked in my original question. Not sure what other "features" are exculsive to what brands. Don't most receivers have roughly similar features? Sorry if this doesn't help.
de
Old 08-14-00, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1) These days, receivers come with the decoders. Decoders in the receiver are usually better, so you will just pass the signal and let the receiver do the decoding.

2) You may seriously want to think about getting a DTS capable receiver to kill 2 birds with one stone.

3) If music is important, seriously consider spending a bit more on the receiver. Also, you may wind up just buying another receiver shortly down the line if you don't get what you really like now and that will cost a lot more in total.

Another thread is going on about a receiver request that you should look at. My recommendations for combo music/HT are Marantz and Denon. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. SOmeone mentions the SR-5000 (Marantz) might be doable in the mid 4's. I have a higher end 8000 and love it. There have been refurb Denon AVR-3300's on ubid occasionally of late at a cheap price.

In the end, if price is the overriding factor, you will make a concession on the quality of the HT OR Music sound. Find the model that meets the needs you have. There are getting to be a fair number of DD/DTS receivers that can be had between 250-400, so it becomes a matter of getting out and listening.
Old 08-14-00, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You may also want to take a look at the Yamaha and Onkyo, especially the Yamaha 496, 596 and if you can find them the 595a and 795. The Onkyo 575 and 575X are also supposed to be good. Also check out www.audioreview.com

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old 08-15-00, 12:49 AM
sjs
Cool New Member

I, too, think the 302 is a good choice. I bought mine from Best Buy for $350 (Circuit City price match) in late March, to go with my Pioneer Dolby Pro-Logic receiver, which I thought would be fine until I could save up for a DTS receiver.
Well, less than a month later I popped for a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver (really wanted the 2095 but couldn't afford it) because I couldn't wait for a DTS receiver any longer, and what a difference that made!! DTS is awesome. Would have spent the bucks to get there eventually, anyway. (Got the Yamaha from a local retailer for less than $900. To me, it was worth the price to have it immediately and from a real store with a real service department, not that I'll ever need it.)
Sometimes you just have to take a deep breath and say yes now to what you'll end up with anyway. Might as well enjoy it while you pay for it!

Old 08-15-00, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JVC offers alot at under $300. I will be getting the RX-7000V. It has DD and DTS decoders, plus you can find it for around $300. Pioneer, Awia, and Technics all make good stuff as well.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

"Pop's trippin', man. He wanted me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."
Old 08-15-00, 09:42 AM

de:

Do you live near a Costco? Went to my local one last Sat--They had the 302 for I believe it was $289.99. They also had the Pioneer VSX D509S Receiver for $269.99 (349.99 at Sears). I test drove this model while at Sears and to me it sounded better than the more expensive Sony ($400) and Yamaha ($450)units they were selling. And this unit has both DD and DTS decoding, so no worries there. Don't know if Sears will price-match Costco, but it's worth a shot...
Old 08-15-00, 09:59 AM

PS:

There is one advantage to having decoders in both the DVD and the receiver: fewer audio connections between the two (1 vs 6)
Old 08-16-00, 09:26 PM
Cool New Member

If you are looking for a Receiver for under $300.00, Look at the JVC RX-6500vbk Receiver, or the Kenwood vr 407. You can pick the Jvc Receiver up at BestPriceAudioVideo.com for $235.00 including Shipping. Most people like the Kenwood vr407. They both have built in digital decoders for and DTS decoders. The Jvc goes for $300.00 at bestbuy. The Kenwood goes for the same price at Circuit City. You can get the Kenwood on line for $250.00 includes shipping.