Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I spend the money???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I spend the money???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-00, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking about upgrading from a 27" Panasonic (only 1.5 years old) to a new Sony Wega 36" TV (don't know the model # but it doesn't have pip and the speakers are on the bottom, not the sides). I can pick one up for a little over $1100 (which is a real good deal, right) but heres the problem: I am a 19 year old college student and I don't know if I want to have this "hefty" credit card bill. I can only work part time during the school year, so most of my income would go towards this bill. Should I just wait a while and save up for an HDTV or what??? What would you do in my situation? Thanks for the help!
Old 08-13-00, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would wait awhile....put some money aside over the next year and buy an HDTV 16:9 TV....by this time next year they should really be coming down in price!!!!
Old 08-13-00, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In your situation I would wait until you can comfortably afford a better TV. I too have a 27" TV all be it a Sony and would like to get a better TV but I can't really comfortably afford one right now so I am going to wait. If I had known I was going to get into DVD I would have bought a larger TV to begin with.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-13-00, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having the same arguement with myself, but I have decided to wait a few years and make a major upgrade when the 16X9 TVs become more affordable. I am getting by with a 27" TV for now.
Old 08-13-00, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WAIT,

1) HDTV will be more affordable soon.

2) That TV will cost you a ton more than it says on the price tag.

I highly recommend AGAINST ever buying ANYTHING where you need to borrow against a credit card line. Figure out what you would have been paying and put that money each month into some sort of savings/investment account. Then WHEN YOU GRADUATE you will have some cash around to get yourself started. Use the cash you earn now for things you really need, not 'would like to have'.
Old 08-13-00, 09:29 PM

I agree with everbody, wait and I promise you, you will be a happy camper.
Old 08-14-00, 12:47 PM

If you buy now, you'll just want to spend way too much time & money building around it. I would say stick with the 27 until it dies. Don't move on the TV until forced or the situation price-wise is better. 16:9 would be something worth waiting for. HDTV is gonna cost more in the way of other upgrades too. Unlessyou have more burning a hole in you pockets save for now. In my experience with buying any technology, don't buy until you're going to use it. and only buy a little higher than you can afford at the time. While you're paying for it, something better will come out if you don't.

------------------
Sony 32" Trinitron
Onkyo TX-DS575x
Pioneer DV-525
JBL Music1 mains, Phase Technology 1C center, Advent Baby II surrounds, Infinity BU-120 sub
Old 08-14-00, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. xcheckers: what do you mean that TV will cost me a ton more than the price tag?? Do you mean with the interest on the credit card? This is true, but I'll have the first 6 months intersest free. I think I am going to wait anyway, atleast until Christmas, but probably until next summer. Thanks again for all of the replies!!
Old 08-14-00, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, I was referring to the interest...And if it's "interest free" I bet you get a nice discount with cold hard cash.
Old 08-14-00, 05:33 PM

ECydeDave,

The worst kind of debt is credit card debt. It will come back and haunt you. Don't charge anything you can't pay off when the bill comes....In the long run, you'll be much better off. Instead, figure out what your payments to the credit card would be, and put that money in the bank every month. By the time you have $1100, you will be able to get a WEGA with PIP.

Best of luck!

Peace,

Morley