Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Progressive scan & non-anamorphic ?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Progressive scan & non-anamorphic ?

Old 06-09-00, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend got a Mitsubishi 46" HDTV yesterday & a Toshiba SD-5109 progressive scan dvd player. I myself have the Toshiba DW-65X91 65" HDTV & Sony DVP-550 player. With his player there was no pixelation on movement & the image was sharper. However when playing a dvd, you can't change the tv mode (from expand to zoom) so his non-anamorphic dvds get stretched to fit the screen, rather than losing top & bottom to fit the screen. I had him call the store he got it & they said you have to switch the component cable from progressive to interlaced to watch non-anamorphic. Is this true? On my HDTV I can use the zoom for non-anamorphic. Is this a problem with the player or his tv (not allowing to switch modes). I thought the player had it's own zoom feature. Can you use this to watch non-anamorphic? I just ordered this player myself & was wondering if it will work better for me since my HDTV is also Toshiba? Does progressive scan make a quality difference on non-anamorphic also? Anyone that has this player, how do you watch non-anamorphic?
Old 06-10-00, 01:55 AM
Cool New Member

Try pulling up the screen menu for the television to change the displayed aspect ratio. A friend of mine also had aproblem with his video image being stretched to the screen and I rectified the problem by accessing the display option on the TV rather than on the player.
Progressive scan is what makes the video image sharper and smoother and will make a difference regardless what type of formating was used for the disc. Interlaced pictures only have half of the screen "on" at any given moment. The two sets of lines alternate so quickly that the eye perceives the two sets of lines of information as one single image. Progressive scan allows capable televisions to display all lines of resolution at the same time, thus creating sharper, smoother images. You can watch any type of movie in this player but anamorphic dvd's will definitely benefit more. TV brand shouldn't affect things too much but I'm sure that your Toshiba was designed to take advantage of all of the Toshiba DVD technology.
Old 06-10-00, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We tried to set his tv to zoom mode rather than expand, but it doesn't let you change the tv mode when it receives the dvd picture. My Toshiba says it won't let you change modes when it receives a 16x9 signal, but I can on non-anamorphic. I wonder if the progressive signal makes the tv think that all signals are 16x9? Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out- I just tracked my player & it's scheduled for delivery Monday. Maybe I won't have the same problem going from Toshiba to Toshiba.
Old 06-10-00, 03:43 AM

quote:<HR> I thought the player had it's own zoom feature. Can you use this to watch non-anamorphic? I just ordered this player myself & was wondering if it will work better for me since my HDTV is also Toshiba? Does progressive scan make a quality difference on non-anamorphic also? Anyone that has this player, how do you watch non-anamorphic? <HR>

El Kabong, You have a lot of issue going on in your post. No offense to 3U36, but he/she doesn't answer your query.

I have the Mits 46805 and the Tosh 5109, so I know what I'm talking about. The Mits like most HDTV sets (whether HD-ready or actual HD) lock onto a 480p signal and assume that it is anamorphic. Thus these sets assume that they should "expand" that picture to fill the screen by scretching the image left and right. This works great for anamorphic discs, as this is what the the set is supposed to do. But, for none anamorphic discs the user's choice is to either watch the set using the "superior" progressive outputs with a distorted letterboxed image or use one of the interlaced outputs from the player to then "zoom" a letterboxed image.

I personally have my 5109 attached by both progressive component inputs and s-vid. I generally watch anamorphic discs via the progressive input and switch to the s-vid input for standard interlaced images for letter boxed dics so that I can "zoom" the image.

Your Tosh set should not have this problem because it allows the user to "zoom" in on a 480p signal from a progressive player (even if the disc is not anamorphic). Tosh is one of the few manufactures to allow this. Also, your Tosh set will allow this even if your using a non-Tosh player.

So the general answer to your questions are that 480p is generally better than 480i. Your Tosh set allows you to "zoom" in on 480p inputs. Please note that this does not make your friends set "bad," it just means that the industry is in flux regarding 480p signals and a better solution beyond what is available in your Tosh and most other current sets is being developed.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List

[This message has been edited by Aleve90 (edited June 10, 2000).]
Old 06-10-00, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks alot Aleve90. That makes me feel better about getting the player. When I got the tv, the salesman talked me into the $200 Monster component-video cables. I hope these are the same cables you use for the progressive comp. connection as well? I'd hate to have to get another expensive cable. How do you like the player. It looked great on my friends Mitsubishi. Do you think the non-anamorphic will look better in progressive since I can zoom on the tv? Right now, they look kind of grainy/not clear when I zoom. Have you had any disc-compatability problems with that player? I've seen some other Toshiba player problem posts. Thanks again for the info, I'll tell my friend the salesman was right & recommend he set up his S-video as well.
Old 06-10-00, 11:04 AM

Regular component cables will work with a progressive scan player. I have the Toshiba 6200 progressive scan player (just sold my Tosh 5109) and the Toshiba TW56X81 TV. I'm using a set of $40 Acoustic Research component cables and the picture looks great. As mentioned, since you have a Toshiba widescreen you will not have the problem your friend has with nonanamorphic discs, you can use a Theaterwide mode (I use TW2) for non-anamorphic.

Run, don't walk, and get a progressive scan player, you'll be very happy with the results. Non-anamorphic will definitely look better with a prog scan player.

[This message has been edited by steve f (edited June 10, 2000).]
Old 06-10-00, 12:27 PM

I just want to second steve f's post. A progressive player is the way to go and, IMHO, even non-anamorphic discs benefit from the 480p signal. However, do not expect a miracle out of any player. Image quality will always depend on the source material. I would prefer a great letterboxed disc over a poor anamorphic transfer any day of the week. However, all things being equal, your set will benefit from from the increased anamorphic resolution and the image should be extremely "film-like." I love mine and suspect that most people love their's as well.

I have not had any problems with my player and would suggest the newer 6200 over the 5109. But don't worry if you ordered the 5109, it will serve you well for many years to come.

On a side note -- You might want to consider getting your set ISF calibrated. Sure it is expensive but it was worth it to me. Just be sure that who ever does it has to the proper equipment to calibrate your HD inputs.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List

[This message has been edited by Aleve90 (edited June 10, 2000).]
Old 08-08-00, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those who have the 5109 or 6200 do you mind saying how much you spent? There's a seller at eBay selling off 5109s for $375.00 and I'm kind of tempted to pick one up. Thanks.
Old 08-09-00, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid about $560 online & my friend paid $700 in a store, so I'd pick one up for that price. Great picture & no compatability problems so far like some Toshiba players have.