Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Directv multi-room DVR service

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-22-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DirecTV has started their multi room DVR service - just wondering if anyone has gotten this set up.

DIRECTV's Multi-Room DVR service gives you the power to share all of your recorded programs with any TV in your home. Now you can record, delete, pause and rewind your favorite shows no matter where you are.
Basically you can have one or multiple DVRs in the system, and watch a recorded program from one DVR on any of the other TVs in your house.

Sounds really cool, but it cost $150 to get set up. Looking for reviews or thoughts on this new feature to see if it is worth the upfront expense. I have 7 TVs in the house, so I think this could be really cool.

And it appears this is only available in certain areas right now...
Old 03-22-10, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Directv multi-room DVR service

I still haven't read about it in detail since my receivers aren't networked, but check out www.satelliteguys.us.
Old 03-22-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's the $150 for? What sounds unfortunate to me is the extra monthly fee, wonder what that will be.
Old 03-23-10, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
What's the $150 for? What sounds unfortunate to me is the extra monthly fee, wonder what that will be.
Basically $100 for parts and $50 for the install. Monthly fee is only $3.

I like the idea of pausing a show on 1 TV, and going to another room to finish it.
Old 03-23-10, 06:22 PM
Banned

Does anyone know when this will roll out to all customers and if you need anything like an ethernet adapter. I keep reading different things on this like when I went to directv's website they said don't buy any extra equipment and wait for the official date when it rolls out. Also where do you go if you are a beta tester is it in the Menu screens? I really want to get this thing because my wife has a bunch of junk she watches on the only DVR we have every night and if she can watch it on other TV's that would be great.
Old 03-23-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Does anyone know when this will roll out to all customers and if you need anything like an ethernet adapter. I keep reading different things on this like when I went to directv's website they said don't buy any extra equipment and wait for the official date when it rolls out. Also where do you go if you are a beta tester is it in the Menu screens? I really want to get this thing because my wife has a bunch of junk she watches on the only DVR we have every night and if she can watch it on other TV's that would be great.
I would think this shares between DVRs. So you would still need one for every tv. I may be wrong though.
Old 03-23-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You only need 1 DVR and the rest can just be regular HD receivers.
Old 03-23-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator
Basically $100 for parts and $50 for the install. Monthly fee is only $3.

I like the idea of pausing a show on 1 TV, and going to another room to finish it.
Thanks for the prices, although I wonder if there is any need when you already have all the receivers you might need.

There are other ways to do multiroom, esp with the HR2x series that has all video outputs active at once. I have an...interesting setup throughout my house. But it would certainly be easier via ethernet.

And they have built in ethernet. But not wireless ethernet, so you need wires or WAPs.
Old 03-24-10, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have all the needed receivers, but they still said it would be $100 for the parts. There is something (i forget what it is) that they have to add, so regardless of receivers, you still have to pay. And it isn't done by ethernet or wireless.
Old 03-24-10, 07:25 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I wish they would give you the option for both, sharing, and being a standalone. There are nights we tape 4 different shows, 2 in the bedroom, 2 in the family room.
Old 03-24-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I wish they would give you the option for both, sharing, and being a standalone. There are nights we tape 4 different shows, 2 in the bedroom, 2 in the family room.
Not sure what you mean. We have 4 DVRs, and according to Direct, all will share with each other, plus the non-DVR receiver. You basically can view the list of recorded shows on the particular box you are watching, or view a master list of everything recorded on all the other DVRs.
Old 03-24-10, 01:00 PM
Banned

I have all the needed receivers, but they still said it would be $100 for the parts. There is something (i forget what it is) that they have to add, so regardless of receivers, you still have to pay. And it isn't done by ethernet or wireless.
Did they say when the service will be available because on their website it is only available in certain areas and if you don't live in any of those areas you can do beta testing.
Old 03-24-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't ask when it will be available in other areas. You can do the beta version in all areas now, that i believe that requires connecting everything via ethernet or wireless.
Old 03-24-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just called Directv for additional info. The $100 upgrade fee is actually a really great deal. The upgrade includes updating all receivers to compatible receivers - for me that means upgrading two regular receivers to HD receivers. It also includes the DECA adaptor on all my 7 boxes, plus a new dish outside.

Since it normally cost $100 for just 1 HD receiver, this is quite the deal.

The $50 install is also a good deal since it requires setting everything up and connecting all the receivers together. My only concern is my current setup is fairly involved, with most of my TVs mounted with the all the cables running through the walls, and some receivers in closets in other rooms. I mentioned this and was told it would not be an issue.

I setup my appt for this Friday so hopefully all goes well.
Old 03-24-10, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've gotten both my HR2x's for free. And dishes, switches, and all the extras needed for every install. I'll wait til this comes that way, too. Shouldn't be too hard or too long.
Old 03-25-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've gotten both my HR2x's for free. And dishes, switches, and all the extras needed for every install. I'll wait til this comes that way, too. Shouldn't be too hard or too long.
Then you're a lucky guy - they wouldn't even give me a new remote when mine died. Plus i have been wanting to upgrade one of my standard receivers to HD for a while, but everytime i ask, they tell me it is $100.

I can't see Directv doing all this install for free, including upgrading 3 receivers and the dish, plus all the adapters. What is in it for them? They tech guy told me they are eating a lot of the cost of the system just to get it into peoples homes since this is the test area.

Now if you know some secret to getting free upgrades, please, please let me know.
Old 03-25-10, 07:50 AM

I've been a customer for about 5 years, and in that time I've gotten an HD-Tivo and 3 HR2X HD-DVRs (and one SD-DVR) for free. All simply for asking (never threatened to leave or mentioned any competitors).
Old 03-25-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now if you know some secret to getting free upgrades, please, please let me know.
Ask.

Pay attention to certain areas on the web, AVS or DBSTalk, where you can hear about when they relax on upgrade pricing.

Do everything at once, once a year, don't try to get something new every 2 months.
Old 03-26-10, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ask.

Pay attention to certain areas on the web, AVS or DBSTalk, where you can hear about when they relax on upgrade pricing.

Do everything at once, once a year, don't try to get something new every 2 months.
I've been asking for a receiver upgrade for the last 6 months. They wouldn't even replace my remote at no charge. I do think it has something to do with how long you have been with them. A couple weeks ago i spoke to a rep who said i was coming up on 3 yrs with them and would due for an upgrade. How long have you been with them Spiky?

But either way, I have been happy with the service, and now all my receivers will be upgraded so i guess i can't complain.
Old 03-26-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I doubt I could get a remote free since those are expected to be trashed by people, they just aren't going to do that. But it has been awhile, maybe 8 years, and I had NFLST for half that. (they like it when you buy the big stuff)
Old 03-27-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well they came by yesterday to do the install but apparently they didn't bring one of the parts they needed so it has been rescheduled for today. They also advised they will be trading out all of the boxes, not just the standard receivers. So at least now all my boxes will be the most recent equipment and have twice the hard drive as my current ones.
Old 03-27-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok - well they just came out again to do the install, but things had changed again. Biggest issue was they were not going to change out the standard receivers for HD receivers. This means those two receivers would not be set up for the multi room DVR. So really, the only receivers that would work on the multi room system are my existing DVRs. To me, that is not worth the $150.00. If i want to watch a recorded program on a particular DVR, i would just record it on that one.

To get all the TVs hooked up for multi room, it would cost me about $400 - which is the same as it would cost me to upgrade the two standard receivers to HD-DVRs.

The new multi room thing seem to be only for someone with 1 DVR and several HD receivers.

But hey, Directv did give me a $15 credit for my troubles.
Old 03-27-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have it running - sort of. One DVR can consistently see the contents of both DVRs, but the other sporadically does, and if you select a program it plays for a while then loses the connection. My two HD DVR receivers are slightly different models, and one is on a Linksys PowerLine router, while the other is directly connected to my Linksys wi-fi router. We'll see if this gets better once they switch to satellite-line based switching versus home networking.
Old 03-27-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I can certainly see the draw of having more than one DVR. It basically expands your recording capability for every TV, many people have 3 shows at once they want to record and then you want to watch it wherever you want. Too bad it isn't working perfectly yet. And of course the CE people can't talk about anything at all and tell us such things, something D* shouldn't even publicize if everyone signs NDAs.

I currently have 3 TVs and 3 DVRs. My main TV has 2 of the DVRs with it, my bedroom TV has the other one. The 3rd TV is my only remaining SDTV, and I've run wires from 2 of the DVRs to it as a secondary place to watch. It's messy and complex. Ethernet would be easier to run all over the house (mostly already is), and combine them directly. And take out the worry of where to put them.