Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sub-Woofer Frequency Response Question?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sub-Woofer Frequency Response Question?

Old 08-04-00, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the chance to buy a Celestion CSW active 75w sub-woofer at a very good price but when I checked out the specs I found that the frequency response only goes down to 80Hz. I know it's a good make but will I be missing out on a lot of low-end information?

I can get this for about a third of retail. Is it worth it?

------------------
Glennza
Adelaide, Australia
------------------------
Do you have any balloons that blow up into funny shapes?

Not unless you think round is funny.
Old 08-05-00, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't sound like a sub-woofer to me. Most woofers go well below 80 Hz. A decent sub-woofer should get down to at least 35/40 Hz...if not lower. If you have decent bookshelf speakers they will probably get at least that low. You would be wasting your money in my opinion, unless the specs are incorrect on it. Good luck!
Old 08-05-00, 11:58 AM

80 Hz sounds like the highest frequencies sub should produce, not the lowest. Even a small 5" computer sub will reach down to 50Hz.

When I looked on their site, the only sub I see that mathces your description claims a 40 Hz response. That's better, but for a little more money you should be able to find better performance.
Old 08-05-00, 03:37 PM

If you are wanting a cheap, good subwoofer go to www.hometheaterdirect.com and click on their subwoofer specials link near the bottom of the page. They have a Mission 10" for like $120 and their own brand subwoofer (HTD) 12" with 150 or 200 watts for like $200.

Bo.
Old 08-06-00, 05:17 PM
Cool New Member

That's complete junk. It's not a 'sub'woofer. If you can afford it, check out the subwoofers on www.hsuresearch.com
There really isn't much to compare them to under $1000. They will play well over 100 db @ 30 hz.

Old 08-06-00, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That has got to be a misprint. If you can get a great deal on it I would call the manufacturer to get the details. There would be no point to making a sub if it couldn't go lower than 80hz. It wouldn't even be a sub it would be a mid-bass.

I would guess that the low pass crossover is at 80hz so it doesn't go "higher" than that.

[This message has been edited by jumbojp (edited August 06, 2000).]