Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How could a Carbon Fiber*Platter possibly "Make Every Disc You Play Sound Better"?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How could a Carbon Fiber*Platter possibly "Make Every Disc You Play Sound Better"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 416 Likes on 361 Posts
Re: How could a Carbon Fiber*Platter possibly "Make Every Disc You Play Sound Better"

Originally Posted by kefrank
So you always assume that a product doesn't work until there is a double-blind test to prove that it does? You must never buy anything.

If you really want to know whether it does something or not, why not spend a dollar and set up the double-blind test? Until then, your obsessive railing against it just appears petty and uninformed.
This is part of my point. The "scientific" crowd is no different than the "everything makes a different" crowd. They each have their own beliefs. Neither will ever be swayed. And I mean never. If a double blind test did show a difference say between two different speaker wires then the scientific crowd would just dismiss it as "the control wasn't correct", "the science was followed", "there must have been an issue".

And of course I don't want to leave out the other side. If a double blind test showed there was no difference, then the everything makes a difference crowd would say "the test wasn't fair", "you didn't allow enough listening time". "you didn't use a good enough source or source material".
Old 03-27-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: How could a Carbon Fiber*Platter possibly "Make Every Disc You Play Sound Better"

Originally Posted by Jay G.
No, for a fair test you'd need:

1) A sizable random sample of people.
2) The test subjects and testers would have to be unaware of which is the control item and which is the test item.
3) Aside from the test and control items, all other factors would have to be the same.

Note that I didn't say that the existence of the placebo effect "proves" that the product doesn't work. There may actually be a difference. However, what the placebo effect means is that the customer testimonials can't be used as "proof" that it works. The burden of proof is on the device to prove it works, and since there is no proof that it works, it must be assumed that it doesn't.

Yep, that sounds completely unscientific, especially where you state he filtered the comments for only positive ones.

Nobody said that the feet of a speaker makes zero difference. In fact, at least one person said it does:

If this was in relation to to the "reference points" linked to earlier, the problem isn't necessarily with the shape of the product, but the dubious claims and uses touted by the seller:
http://www.audiophileproducts.com/referencepoints

For example, he touts the use of brass, asking "Have you ever seen a French horn or a saxophone made from wood or aluminum? " Apparently the seller is completely unaware of the entire woodwind section of instruments, as well as the fact that almost all speakers are in wood enclosures.

Also, the seller suggests that in terms of using the reference points "you start with you're your source components first. CD Players, Turntables Transports and DACs and then move down the audio chain." So he's not limiting his product's application to speakers, where controlling outside vibration makes sense (since the speaker exists to generate vibration to replicate sound), but to devices like CD Players and DACs, where the effect of vibration on the output is extremely questionable.
1. I'm not sure we need to continue the debate. I respectfully disagree with you that two product "must" be the same unless they are proven different in a double blind test.

2. I was pointing out the spikes on a high end subwoofer as a "tweak". People are quick to jump on tweaks as not making a difference or making really, really subtle differences that are not worth the trouble. Yet where exactly do you draw the line? By your own admission you cannot believe the spikes on this subwoofer can make different. If you say it can, then you must post the double blind test to say it does with those 3 criteria that you posted. This is your standard not mine. See it is a dubious slope isn't it? In fact, you cannot believe the high end sub I linked sounds any different than the $50 Onkyo subs that come in a HTiB set up. Or do you pick and choose which items and which tweaks need a double blind test? And by "you" I me literally you or some other "scientific" group?

People seem to agree with me on the feet and vibration in a turntable. Have there been any double blind tests to prove it out? No? Then you cannot believe it. By your own standard.

I posted a link to a $15,000 CD player, in a high end set up do you really believe is sounds no different than a $29.00 walmart CD player? Do you really think you need a double blind test? If the answer is no, you don't need a double blind test, than where exactly do you draw the line?
Old 03-27-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

So you always assume that a product doesn't work until there is a double-blind test to prove that it does? You must never buy anything.
Define "works". I don't need a DBT to prove whether a toaster can create toast, or whether a BD player can produce an HD image on my screen and output digital audio to my receiver. However, when testing something subjective like which of two devices does something "better," a DBT is preferred.

Take Pepsi vs. Coke. People who prefer Coke are going to say Coke is better in a non-blind taste test. However, under a DBT, that same Coke lover may prefer Pepsi. Preconceptions cloud our judgement, and a DBT is the only purely scientific way to try and eliminate and normalize personal bias.

For example, even if the "Black Hole" does reduce "microvibrations" in an optical playback device, the question still remains: does that real-world reduction even matter, i.e. does it translate to any improvement in audio/video quality like the seller claims?

If you really want to know whether it does something or not, why not spend a dollar and set up the double-blind test?
I'm cheap, and I don't want to ruin my discs by placing a sticker on them. At the speeds Blu-ray runs at, a slightly misaligned sticker placed on it is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

See here about labels on DVDs:
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa11.htm
..any adhesive label can potentially upset the balance of a disc when playing back, especially at high speeds, causing excessive noise, vibration and data retrieval problems. Heat, humidity, handling and the passage of time can also compromise the stability of adhesive labels causing separation from the disc surface and even interfere with the drive.
Now, BDs spin even faster than DVDs, so I'm not really inclined to risk my personal collection / equipment to test this out myself.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
This is part of my point. The "scientific" crowd is no different than the "everything makes a different" crowd. They each have their own beliefs. Neither will ever be swayed. And I mean never. If a double blind test did show a difference say between two different speaker wires then the scientific crowd would just dismiss it as "the control wasn't correct", "the science was followed", "there must have been an issue".
There are potential differences between two types of speaker cables. The simplest difference, and the one most likely to make any sort of impact, is gauge. The difference between wires of two different gauges is detectable in a DBT, assuming the cables are at a distance long enough for the gauge difference to matter.

The problem isn't that two speaker cables can't be different, but what that difference is and whether that difference makes a perceivable difference to the human experience.

Here's a link explaining speaker cable, what matters, and what doesn't:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Here's an interesting few articles about HDMI cables, comparing expensive Monster Cables to cheaper Monoprice ones:
http://gizmodo.com/tag/hdmicablebattlemodo/

The point is: there are certainly real-world differences in components and cables that can affect quality. However, at some point the differences are either going to be a) so small that they're not perceivable, or b) not applicable to the case at hand. For example, if I dunked a roll of speaker cable into a pot of honey, it certainly make the cable sweet and sticky, but it wouldn't affect audio performance.

Just because someone says their product will make a difference doesn't mean it will; it could just as likely mean there's a bunch of suckers out there.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/11/25/
Old 03-28-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by audiolab
Too much controversy for this forum. It's like trying to discuss global warming at a Tea Party convention.

~Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
Redacting all your posts doesn't really help your side at all though, it just makes it look like you have something to hide, and that you don't think your posts successfully argued your case. I can see not posting further, but removing already posted replies makes it look like you concede defeat.

Not to mention that others have already quoted and responded to some of your replies. So now all newcomers have to go on is the potentially out-of-context quotes in other posts, potentially damaging your position further.
Old 03-28-10, 09:39 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right. I should not have deleted my posts. Funny you should mention out-of-context quotes though, because you have posted out-of-context replies repeatedly.

~Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Last edited by audiolab; 03-28-10 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't need a DBT to prove whether a toaster can create toast
Are you sure? How do you know a toaster really created toast or whether you are just perceiving the output as toast? Just because it seems obvious to you doesn't mean it's objectively true. Your approach seems inconsistent, or at least you're using a sliding scale.

I'm cheap, and I don't want to ruin my discs by placing a sticker on them.
So spend $10 on a CD and do the test. If you're really too cheap, then your cheapness is stronger than your passion on this subject, which certainly seems inconsistent with the passion you've communicated in this thread. I can only assume your passion is feigned and your arguments are empty.
Old 03-28-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure? How do you know a toaster really created toast or whether you are just perceiving the output as toast?
There's a difference between an objective perception, and a subjective perception.

Objectively, I put bread in a toaster, and it comes out warmer and crispier than when I put it in. Subjectively, one toaster may make "better" toast than another, or one bread may be "better" than another for toasting.

Objectively speaking, a BD player outputs audio and video. I don't need a DBT to determine that. However, this "Black Hole" device is all about subjectively making that output "better," which means a DBT is needed to make sure any perceived differences aren't just bias.

So spend $10 on a CD and do the test.
Why would I want to ruin a CD I just spent $10 on? Also, you glossed over the part where the sticker could potentially damage the player.

If you're really too cheap, then your cheapness is stronger than your passion on this subject, which certainly seems inconsistent with the passion you've communicated in this thread.
I'm "passionate" enough to argue it online, and require more proof from the vendor, which is where the burden of proof lies. If someone is trying to sell something, they have to prove to the customer it's worth purchasing; the customer doesn't have to prove it's not.
Old 03-28-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By your own admission you cannot believe the spikes on this subwoofer can make different.
You're right, I assumed the spikes on the subwoofer affected the sound quality of it, they could just as easily be a cosmetic addition for style purposes.

In fact, you cannot believe the high end sub I linked sounds any different than the $50 Onkyo subs that come in a HTiB set up.
True. It's often accepted as "common wisdom" that a more expensive item is of better quality than a less expensive item, but it's not always true. It's entirely possible that the cheaper sub is as good as, or even better than, the expensive sub. A DBT would be the best way to determine which is better.

Or do you pick and choose which items and which tweaks need a double blind test? And by "you" I me literally you or some other "scientific" group?
I can only speak for myself, I don't represent any group, scientific or otherwise. Ideally speaking, a DBT would be the best method for determining quality of any device/method/tweak, especially in comparison to other devices/method/tweaks or, in relations to tweaks, a non-tweaked control.

However, since DBTs can be costly and timely to implement, they're not done for everything, and I don't have the time/money to do them myself. Thus, secondary, less reliable, methods of determining quality have to be used. Reviews from a reviewer site would be one, a third party that at least aims to be as objective as possible. They may do comparisons between different devices/setups, and while not usually DBT, the reviewers typically don't have a vested interest in anything but relaying to the consumer the best info possible.

Lacking that, or perhaps in addition to, peer reviews on a third-party site can be somewhat helpful, although these can fall into the trap of being too anecdotal and possibly skewed (those with extremely negative experiences may be more inclined to post a review than someone with a positive, but moderate experience).

People seem to agree with me on the feet and vibration in a turntable. Have there been any double blind tests to prove it out? No?
Do you know that a DBT has never been performed? Also, arguing about vibration in a turntable, which relies on vibration caused by the needle rubbing on the record to generate electrical signals to transmit as sound, at least makes sense. Arguing about "microvibrations" in a device that uses optics and electricity, or possibly just electricity (such as a DAC) is a lot more dubious. If I don't buy the underlying logic, I'm much more likely to require better evidence.

I posted a link to a $15,000 CD player, in a high end set up do you really believe is sounds no different than a $29.00 walmart CD player? Do you really think you need a double blind test?
I'd need a DBT test for a definitive answer. Also, due to the advances in electronics, I'd be willing to believe that a moderately-priced player purchased today, (say something like a $100 Sony), could have the potential to sound as good as, or even better than, a 20-year old $15,000 player. Even with the $40 Walmart player (is that a Walmart brand player, or just a player bought at Walmart), if the audio from both is being output digitally to my receiver, there may be zero difference in audio quality.
Old 03-28-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is too entertaining to end....let's get some DBTs going!!!
Old 03-28-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a difference between an objective perception, and a subjective perception.

Objectively, I put bread in a toaster, and it comes out warmer and crispier than when I put it in. Subjectively, one toaster may make "better" toast than another, or one bread may be "better" than another for toasting.
So do you objectively measure the temperature of the toast or do you just trust that your perception is accurate (subjectively)? "This feels warmer" and "this sounds better" are both subjective assessments.

Why would I want to ruin a CD I just spent $10 on? Also, you glossed over the part where the sticker could potentially damage the player.
You're really reaching. If you're that concerned about damaging the disc or the player with a product that is sold by a reputable dealer and has a number of testimonials from other consumers, then you're exhibiting a lot of irrational paranoia for someone who is otherwise so concerned with objectivity and rationality. I believe that your concerns about damage are disingenuous and not at all the reasons that you don't want to perform a double-blind test. More likely is that you're a) too lazy and b) more interested in arguing your skepticism on the internet than actually backing it up with anything of substance.

I'm "passionate" enough to argue it online, and require more proof from the vendor, which is where the burden of proof lies. If someone is trying to sell something, they have to prove to the customer it's worth purchasing; the customer doesn't have to prove it's not.
There is no "burden of proof" in the marketplace. A retailer need only convince enough people to buy their product in order to be profitable. Beyond that, it's up to the skeptics (particularly the vocal ones) to justify their skepticism. Otherwise, their skeptical sermons are just as hollow as a snake-oil sales pitch.
Old 03-28-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I will do the test freely and openly, and post my results here. BUT, someone else will have to buy the CD, the "placebos", and the hardware to play them through. There's a difference between my trying something I have faith and assurance in; it's another thing entirely to risk MY sound system to try out SOMEONE ELSE'S possibly-damaging product.

And, if it was SO good, after SO much time and effort to "educate" people, and at just $1 per......in this age of lightning-fast communications, don't you think people would want it if it made any discernable difference?
Old 03-28-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're right, I assumed the spikes on the subwoofer affected the sound quality of it, they could just as easily be a cosmetic addition for style purposes.

True. It's often accepted as "common wisdom" that a more expensive item is of better quality than a less expensive item, but it's not always true. It's entirely possible that the cheaper sub is as good as, or even better than, the expensive sub. A DBT would be the best way to determine which is better.

I can only speak for myself, I don't represent any group, scientific or otherwise. Ideally speaking, a DBT would be the best method for determining quality of any device/method/tweak, especially in comparison to other devices/method/tweaks or, in relations to tweaks, a non-tweaked control.

However, since DBTs can be costly and timely to implement, they're not done for everything, and I don't have the time/money to do them myself. Thus, secondary, less reliable, methods of determining quality have to be used. Reviews from a reviewer site would be one, a third party that at least aims to be as objective as possible. They may do comparisons between different devices/setups, and while not usually DBT, the reviewers typically don't have a vested interest in anything but relaying to the consumer the best info possible.

Lacking that, or perhaps in addition to, peer reviews on a third-party site can be somewhat helpful, although these can fall into the trap of being too anecdotal and possibly skewed (those with extremely negative experiences may be more inclined to post a review than someone with a positive, but moderate experience).

Do you know that a DBT has never been performed? Also, arguing about vibration in a turntable, which relies on vibration caused by the needle rubbing on the record to generate electrical signals to transmit as sound, at least makes sense. Arguing about "microvibrations" in a device that uses optics and electricity, or possibly just electricity (such as a DAC) is a lot more dubious. If I don't buy the underlying logic, I'm much more likely to require better evidence.

I'd need a DBT test for a definitive answer. Also, due to the advances in electronics, I'd be willing to believe that a moderately-priced player purchased today, (say something like a $100 Sony), could have the potential to sound as good as, or even better than, a 20-year old $15,000 player. Even with the $40 Walmart player (is that a Walmart brand player, or just a player bought at Walmart), if the audio from both is being output digitally to my receiver, there may be zero difference in audio quality.
Your reinforcing my point. "YOU" have your own set of rules. Others in the "scientific proof" group each have their own rules. So each person will have their own "scientific proof" what what makes a difference. So how is this different then the other crowd that any little thing can make a difference?

My turntable example, was just and example. You seem to agree that vibration can make a difference. My point being that is on one extreme end. Your digital from front to back is could be considered at the other end and if we believe you that no difference can be found (or no DBT has proved a difference) where do you draw the line?

I didn't post a $15,000 20 year old CD player. I posted a link to a CURRENT $15,000 CD player. Are you really saying ONLY a DBT would show a difference? You don't ever believe you could just hear the difference?
Old 03-28-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't post a $15,000 20 year old CD player. I posted a link to a CURRENT $15,000 CD player. Are you really saying ONLY a DBT would show a difference? You don't ever believe you could just hear the difference?
Something I wondered... no one would really worry about tweaks so much on a cheap CD/DVD player, because anyone buying a $50 player probably doesn't care too much about the quality. Tweaks are usually for people who already spend a lot on their player, such as that one for 15k.... So my question is - wouldn't a company making such an expensive player, already have something in place to deal with the vibrations and such? I would be rather upset if a $1 'tweak' made my $15k CD player sound better.
Old 03-28-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So do you objectively measure the temperature of the toast or do you just trust that your perception is accurate (subjectively)? "This feels warmer" and "this sounds better" are both subjective assessments.
No, something being warmer is an objective observation, as you point out it can be measured with a thermometer. There's no "sounds better" thermometer equivalent.

You're really reaching. If you're that concerned about damaging the disc or the player with a product that is sold by a reputable dealer and has a number of testimonials from other consumers.....
How do I know it's a reputable dealer? How do I know those testimonials are real? If real, how do I know those positive testimonials are not outnumbered by the negative testimonials the seller didn't put on their site?

I believe that your concerns about damage are disingenuous and not at all the reasons that you don't want to perform a double-blind test. More likely is that you're a) too lazy and b) more interested in arguing your skepticism on the internet than actually backing it up with anything of substance.
I don't have to back up skepticism of the product, anymore than a skeptic of UFOs or Ghosts has to actively disprove every sighting. The burden of proof is on the ones making the claims, not on the skeptic.

The sane thing to do when presented with an outlandish claim is to say, "I won't believe that until presented with evidence that substantially proves it." That's what I'm doing with the product.

There is no "burden of proof" in the marketplace. A retailer need only convince enough people to buy their product in order to be profitable.
True, to some extent at least. Medicine does have a burden of proof, both that the medicine in question does what it says, and that it doesn't have overly harmful side effects. This is why DBTs are so common in medicine. Car manufacturers have to pass certain quality and safety ratings, as does food. Electronics have various safety and FCC ratings they need to get.

Where there isn't vigorous testing of things is in the area of subjective "quality" determinations. A toy doesn't have to be "fun" to be on a store shelf, just safe enough so a toddler won't choke on it (or have a warning about the chocking hazard, if it's not designed for toddlers), or not be painted with toxic lead paint. A movie doesn't have to be "good," to be sold on DVD. And there's no standardized image or audio "quality" tests that an electronic item has to pass in order to be sold.

As a result, people should be skeptical of claims of quality on certain items. I'm not going to buy a DVD just because it has 5 favorable critic blurbs on the cover, anymore than I'm going to be swayed by customer testimonials on the Black Hole website. The words "digitally remastered" on a box mean nothing to me. If an electronic item is markedly cheaper than comparable products from other manufacturers, it's likely to be "too good to be true." And if the maker of a sticker to put on DVD/BD disc claims it improves quality based on dubious reasoning, I'm going to say "prove it."
Old 03-28-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator
Something I wondered... no one would really worry about tweaks so much on a cheap CD/DVD player, because anyone buying a $50 player probably doesn't care too much about the quality. Tweaks are usually for people who already spend a lot on their player, such as that one for 15k.... So my question is - wouldn't a company making such an expensive player, already have something in place to deal with the vibrations and such? I would be rather upset if a $1 'tweak' made my $15k CD player sound better.
Nice.

Yes of course that company would. As I stated earlier, the claims made about these discs, the mats, the 'feet', etc, all the vibration reduction stuff are complete nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense that will only work on those who... well who are ignorant and/or outright gullible, and thus susceptible to, if not eager for a placebo effect. PT Barnum had some thoughts on how common such a person is.

Vibration has no effect on: processors, DACs, op amps, capacitors, comparators, etc, even at very, very high vibration levels. Engineers get sick of studying the data on such things, that comes most often from the military and space programs in post graduate courses. The military and space program engineers do incredibly detailed studies of very high level vibrations and shocks on circuit boards and the various components on them before they are used. Decades of study has proven, and slightly refined these components and the circuit boards the are on to be immune to vibrations even at very high levels. Levels that occur in fighter jets landing on an aircraft carriers, during the launch of space vehicles, used in satellites, used in tanks slamming across the landscape firing 100mm+ guns, etc. The expensive consumer electronics devices of today are using components that would have been exclusive to the military only a few years ago and are immune to vibration.

In the few cases like... like the piezoelectric effects on a specific component like a ceramic capacitor(used in specific types of devices) due to shock and vibration, patents made people a lot of money because they designed circuit boards to isolate the section of the board from vibration that such a component would be located on. The noise that comes from such a capacitor due to the piezoelectric effect is audible, you can hear it with your ears coming from inside the device.

In short, such claims about 'micro-vibrations' are complete and utter nonsense. But as I stated earlier I have no issue with this fella selling such things, as he is selling the consumer a placebo effect, and thus a greater appreciation of their equipment, for a fairly low price. It's not exactly ethical I suppose, but it is business and I say he should run with that ball as far as he can. If he truly believes his own pitch then he is not lying.

The effects of vibration on the lasers reading the disc were dealt with decades back as I stated earlier in this thread. This is why multiple lasers, improved laser focus, tighter spindle rotation speeds, etc, came into being. Because of lots and lots of research by intelligent people on this topic.

The main principle to consider here is this: electrical energy vs. mechanical energy. The only effect mechanical energy(vibration, shock) would have on the electrical energy in a capacitor or the like is a gross effect. Meaning if you took a hammer and delivered mechanical energy to the capacitor it would be crushed and would fail, if you delivered such incredible vibration levels that the solder connecting the capacitor the the circuit board were to break(which the military, aerospace industries, NASA, etc, were dealing with in the 60's). Stuff like that. That component is otherwise virtually immune to vibration even at very large levels as to the electrical energy flowing through it. To suggest some effect of 'micro vibration' effect is beyond ridiculous.

Originally Posted by audiolab
Too much controversy for this forum. It's like trying to discuss global warming at a Tea Party convention.

~Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

I love it man. Stick to your guns I say. If you are able to sell these things, sell as many as you can!
Old 03-28-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Your reinforcing my point. "YOU" have your own set of rules. Others in the "scientific proof" group each have their own rules. So each person will have their own "scientific proof" what what makes a difference.
I think a DBT would satisfy nearly anyone looking for scientific evidence that something made a discernible difference in quality.

Where I was speaking for myself was in regards to what I'll accept as a less scientifically rigorous indicator of quality.

So how is this different then the other crowd that any little thing can make a difference?
The difference is that believing every claim at face value is called being gullible. Between being gullible and being skeptical, I'd rather be skeptical. I tend to have more money in my wallet that way.

My turntable example, was just and example. You seem to agree that vibration can make a difference. My point being that is on one extreme end.
It's an "extreme end" in the sense that I think vibrations have an effect on a system where vibrations are a major part of the transport stream. It's like saying that EMI has an effect on electrical cables. It makes sense. Saying that EMI has an effect on optical cables, however, makes zero sense. It's not just the "other extreme," it's a completely different case.

if we believe you that no difference can be found (or no DBT has proved a difference) where do you draw the line?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If a DBT can't prove a difference, then there likely isn't one. If a DBT does prove a difference, then there likely is one. The line is the DBT.

If a DBT hasn't been performed, then start with the assumption that there isn't a difference, and look at any other semi-reliable evidence available (like third party reviews), until you're personally convinced one way or the other. Customer testimonials on the sellers website don't count. Look for solid reasoning behind the product and its features. If, for example, a company claims that brass is better at reducing vibrations, look for evidence that this is true. If the reasoning seems sloppy with no evidence to back it up, that's a major red flag.

I didn't post a $15,000 20 year old CD player. I posted a link to a CURRENT $15,000 CD player. Are you really saying ONLY a DBT would show a difference?
Only a DBT would definitively prove a difference.

You don't ever believe you could just hear the difference?
I could possibly hear a difference myself, but I couldn't be certain that my perception wasn't biased somehow, if my comparison was done outside a DBT.

Last edited by Jay G.; 03-28-10 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-28-10, 08:10 PM

I think a DBT would satisfy nearly anyone looking for scientific evidence that something made a discernible difference in quality.

Where I was speaking for myself was in regards to what I'll accept as a less scientifically rigorous indicator of quality.

The difference is that believing every claim at face value is called being gullible. Between being gullible and being skeptical, I'd rather be skeptical. I tend to have more money in my wallet that way.

It's an "extreme end" in the sense that I think vibrations have an effect on a system where vibrations are a major part of the transport stream. It's like saying that EMI has an effect on electrical cables. It makes sense. Saying that EMI has an effect on optical cables, however, makes zero sense. It's not just the "other extreme," it's a completely different case.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If a DBT can't prove a difference, then there likely isn't one. If a DBT does prove a difference, then there likely is one. The line is the DBT.

If a DBT hasn't been performed, then start with the assumption that there isn't a difference, and look at any other semi-reliable evidence available (like third party reviews), until you're personally convinced one way or the other. Customer testimonials on the sellers website don't count. Look for solid reasoning behind the product and its features. If, for example, a company claims that brass is better at reducing vibrations, look for evidence that this is true. If the reasoning seems sloppy with no evidence to back it up, that's a major red flag.

I could possibly hear a difference myself, but I couldn't be certain that my perception wasn't biased somehow, if my comparison was done outside a DBT.

Isn't there anyone who posts on here who has an engineer/physics background that could actually tell us if the argument has any validity as far as vibration, etc.???
Old 03-28-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Isn't there anyone who posts on here who has an engineer/physics background that could actually tell us if the argument has any validity as far as vibration, etc.???

Nice.
Old 03-28-10, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse

Nice.
Old 03-28-10, 09:22 PM

When you guys watch a movie do you know what you see? If so, how come you don't know what you hear? Oh, I know...Placebo!

Sheesh.

R
Old 03-28-10, 09:43 PM
X
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
I can tell you that I've banged on electronic components and heard a corresponding sound come out of the speaker.

I don't remember if those components were capacitors or coils (I doubt they were resistors or transistors), it might have been due to bad solder joints for all I know, but the physical effects did manifast themselves in a change in sound.
Old 03-28-10, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. DBTs on such things have been done, esp wires, and mostly the extremists go home without changing their minds. "But you messed up the test like xxx." "No, you screwed up the test like yyy." Yawn, my kids are more creative in their petty arguing, and none of them have hit teens, yet.

Frankly, it's more fun to argue about it online. Obviously.
Old 03-28-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, something being warmer is an objective observation, as you point out it can be measured with a thermometer. There's no "sounds better" thermometer equivalent.
But the observation is only objective if measured with a thermometer. I was asking if you observe it objectively or if you just trust your own subjective assessment of the temperature. Your non-answer tells me it's the latter.

How do I know it's a reputable dealer? How do I know those testimonials are real? If real, how do I know those positive testimonials are not outnumbered by the negative testimonials the seller didn't put on their site?
Herbie's Audio Lab is a well-respected company, particularly among the turntable crowd. A simple google search of various forums will yield plenty of independent reviews of their products from various consumers. Seriously, it takes a negligible amount of effort to ensure that they're not just some scam artist who set up a website last week to sell you something for $1 that will destroy your media and components.

I don't have to back up skepticism of the product, anymore than a skeptic of UFOs or Ghosts has to actively disprove every sighting. The burden of proof is on the ones making the claims, not on the skeptic.

The sane thing to do when presented with an outlandish claim is to say, "I won't believe that until presented with evidence that substantially proves it." That's what I'm doing with the product.
It is outlandish to compare the claims of the Black Hole product to UFO and ghost-sightings. It really isn't that hard to believe that a disc-spinning mechanical system might cause interfering vibrations in an analog transport. The degree to which the sound may be affected is certainly debatable, but the possibility is certainly much more believable than the existence of UFOs or ghosts. I am again surprised at the lack of rationality in your argument, when you seem so bent on being rational and scientific.

If an electronic item is markedly cheaper than comparable products from other manufacturers, it's likely to be "too good to be true."
There are too many factors that come into play to make such a broad generalization. While a significantly lower price may be an indicator of something "too good to be true," the likelihood is based on many other factors. See retailers like monoprice.com to disprove your assertion.

And if the maker of a sticker to put on DVD/BD disc claims it improves quality based on dubious reasoning, I'm going to say "prove it."
Here's what the site says about the Black Hole:
The Black Hole CD Mat primarily affects digital conversion and analog stages of playback by smoothing out and reducing micro-vibrations at the disc/clamp interface. These vibrations permeate throughout a player and cause distortion in capacitors, op-amps, and microprocessors.
What is "dubious" to you about that claim? Is it that vibrations can't affect analog components? No, we know that they can. Is it that you don't think there's enough vibration generated to make a perceivable difference? If so, what do you base that on? Do you have some particular knowledge or experience in this area that allows you to assess it as dubious? Or are you just guessing?
Old 03-29-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But the observation is only objective if measured with a thermometer. I was asking if you observe it objectively or if you just trust your own subjective assessment of the temperature. Your non-answer tells me it's the latter.
Perhaps telling via whether the bread suddenly is so hot it can burn my fingers is a subjective way to measure, but it's a subjective measurement of an objective change in the bread. If I didn't trust my senses to know whether something is hotter than it was, I could use a thermometer, and people have. In fact, thermometers are used all the time in cooking. I can trust grade-school level physics to prove that the bread can get hotter when heat is applied to it.

In contrast, determining whether something sounds "better" is a subjective determination of a non-quantifiable subjective quality. There's no way to objectively measure it if I wanted to. The next best is a DBT.

Herbie's Audio Lab is a well-respected company, particularly among the turntable crowd.
Just because they do turntables well doesn't mean they know jack about BD players. In fact, I'd rather a company that does turntables well to stick to turntables instead of trying to tackle new technology they don't have firm grip on.

A simple google search of various forums will yield plenty of independent reviews of their products from various consumers.
And yet, you didn't provide any links.

Seriously, it takes a negligible amount of effort to ensure that they're not just some scam artist who set up a website last week to sell you something for $1 that will destroy your media and components.
Who says they have to be fly-by-night? When it comes to things like sound quality, even the most dubious of devices can sell for years.

It is outlandish to compare the claims of the Black Hole product to UFO and ghost-sightings.
Not really, the level of science behind all three is about the same. However, I was using UFOs and ghosts as "extreme examples." If I'm to simply believe customer testimonials that it works, then by the same logic UFO and ghost sightings should be believed as well.

It really isn't that hard to believe that a disc-spinning mechanical system might cause interfering vibrations in an analog transport.
In a modern device, it's hard to believe that the disc spinning is causing vibrations at a level to interfere with the purely electronic analog transport.

While a significantly lower price may be an indicator of something "too good to be true," the likelihood is based on many other factors. See retailers like monoprice.com to disprove your assertion.
True, it's just an indicator to be on your toes. Like the example with the two different subwoofers, just because one is significantly cheaper doesn't mean it's significantly worse. Still, it's best to double-check the evidence in such a situation.

What is "dubious" to you about that claim? Is it that you don't think there's enough vibration generated to make a perceivable difference?
It's that, and it's wondering whether this device even reduces vibrations at all. It's been pointed out that putting a sticker on an optical disc by eye can unbalance it, meaning that this product is just as likely to make the disc wobble more, causing more vibrations than without it, especially at the speeds optical discs operate at (DVD 1x spins at up to 1530 RPM, and BD even faster).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM

The manufacturer provides no proof even of the basic, objective, measurable data of vibrations on a player during playback, with and without the tweak in use. If they can't even be bothered to measure whether the product reduces vibrations, why should I believe anything else they claim?

Here's an interesting though experiment: take a solely electronic audio device, like a flash memory MP3 player (say iPod nano). These are designed for people to jog with without issues. Now, if an analog output isn't affected by the strong vibrations of being bounced up and down while jogging, how is an optical drive's much more minimal vibrations going to affect it?
Old 03-29-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My point was, surely you don't do a DBT on everything. So my question is where do you draw the line? If spiked feet on a turntable do make a difference with no DBT, but they don't on CD players without a DBT, when do you decide if you need the DBT? Or are you truly saying that you couldn't for example see the difference between a VHS tape and a blue ray disc without a DBT? And that you would argue that is simply a placebo effect from spending more money on BD player and DVD?

You keep making the argument the argument that a DBT is the "best". Well I don't need to defend that. I'm asking if it is the only way to tell the difference between two items? Meaning if I can hear a difference between 1 pair of speakers v. another without a DBT, then reinforce that with a DBT does that make the difference bigger? If it doesn't than what is was point?

You say people hear a difference because they want to. You do realize that works in reverse as well don't you? If you never believe there is a difference than you won't hear one. Likely you wouldn't hear one in a DBT either.

See this is my discussion point. I'm not at all arguing that this mat makes a difference. Or am I arguing against DBT's. What I'm saying is either "camp" is exactly the same. They both bring in their own bias. They both have their own "rules". They both have their own beliefs. Neither side to convince the other side. Nether side is right. IMO it be at the extreme end of either is a disadvantage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.