Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Full Motion TV Mount Question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I'm looking to install a 42" plasma on my wall with a new Full Motion mount. I have not purchased the mount yet, I've only looked at various mounts that have the swing out arm etc.

Similar to this one:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sanus+-+...&skuId=7041373

My question is this, if you're constantly pulling it out all of the way or turning it all the way then pushing it against the wall to be flush at times etc. what happens with the cables. if you pull it out all of the way it seems like it will need an additional 2 feet of cable, which when pushed in would mean there are 2-3 feet of wires hanging down.

Do they make sort of cable system or ties that go behind the tv to pick up the slack when the tv is pushed all of the way back.

If you have any advice I would appreciate it.
Old 02-18-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Full Motion TV Mount Question

Check monoprice and Amazon for pricing before you buy that one. It seems a little high even though it's full motion. Yes you will need enough cable to have it extend almost 2 ft. I haven't heard of any retractable type system for the wires which would make constant use simple. Sorry
Old 02-19-10, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Check monoprice and Amazon for pricing before you buy that one. It seems a little high even though it's full motion. Yes you will need enough cable to have it extend almost 2 ft. I haven't heard of any retractable type system for the wires which would make constant use simple. Sorry
Thanks I'm not sure I would get that one, just an example. Appreciate the advice though.

Maybe it's not an issue, I just would think if you can turn it fully and it pulls 2 feet of wire, then push it back that 2 of wire would hang down below the tv in flush position - maybe it's not the case at all... If it is, I can't imagine I would be the first to not like that.

I'm going to have this in a place I'm moving flush to fully open quite a bit since it's a basement with treadmill etc.
Old 02-19-10, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you attach the wires to the full length of the arm you'll have no extra wire problems. The wire will always be the same length. The big issue is running the wires so they don't get pinched in the arm when closing it.

Some have built-in wire tracks, but you can just use zip ties, too.
Old 02-19-10, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spiky
If you attach the wires to the full length of the arm you'll have no extra wire problems. The wire will always be the same length. The big issue is running the wires so they don't get pinched in the arm when closing it.

Some have built-in wire tracks, but you can just use zip ties, too.
Ahh that would make sense, so you just zip tie them to the arm or use a wiretrack. That would make sense, assuming it works I couldn't see somebody paying to install a tv etc. with one of those, hire the wires etc. then have them hang down.

The pinching issue makes sense too.

Thanks for the info.