Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheap S-Video Cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-00, 12:55 PM
Needs to provide a working email address

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I am new to this forum, and I have a quick question ask. What are outright the best quality S-video cable I can get for a low price ? I have seen 1 meter monster cables (M series I think) for up to 80 dollars, that seems downright absurd to me. Are there any online places I can get these quality cables for cheap ? I am a college student and am quite poor enough, without having to dish out 100 dollars for a cable

Thanks.
Old 08-02-00, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try www.avconnect.com

They sell Acoustic Research cables which
seem comparable to monsters. I ordered from
them once and received my cables by the next
day! 'Course, I only live about 15 miles away from them.
Old 08-02-00, 01:59 PM

Is all the monster cable hype just BS ? Has anyone noticed any real difference between monster cables and the ones mentioned ?
Old 08-02-00, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Monster cables are not bad cables, but in my opinion they are overpriced (hype). They look cool though :-). Any cable with good shielding will do for most home theater applications.

If you want really cheap cables, check out allelectronics.com -- they sell some as low as $1.30.
Old 08-02-00, 02:09 PM

Thanks a ton fantasia, I went ahead and ordered a Acoustic Research S-Vid cable from avconnect... I think I can handle the 12 dollars
Old 08-02-00, 11:43 PM
Topgun94

Monster is a good way to go for long cable runs, but if you only need a 3 foot cable the cheap one that came with the DVD player is probably fine.
Old 08-03-00, 12:20 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Topgun94:
Monster is a good way to go for long cable runs, but if you only need a 3 foot cable the cheap one that came with the DVD player is probably fine.<HR>

It also depends on the display: if you have a large (>40") TV or a projector you'll definetely see the difference. I personally wouldn't mind spending $25 on a Monster Cable if your equipment is $2500.
Old 08-03-00, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have Monster s-video cable running fron my Toshiba 6109 to my tv and it makes a big difference over regular composite on the main tv(Mitsu. 40" tube).

On the other hand I have the cheap s-video I got with the player running from my PanasonicC-220 to the 6109.

There is no difference in picture quality using the C-220 through the 6109, or the 6109 by itself, thus no difference in picture quality between the $75 Monster and $5 cheapo brand.

These runs are only one meter in length and I am sure a better sheilded cable would work better for long runs, but if it is a short run use the cheapo stuff.
Old 08-03-00, 08:07 PM

Check out MCM electronics. They were selling 12' S-Video cables for around $4.99... and they look very much like Monster Cable.