DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Widescreen Cameras

Old 07-28-00, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I was wondering, if anyone has had a widescreen camera? I have a coupla questions
1) quality- is the quality better than regular cameras?
2) price- how cheap do these things go? or do I have to sell an arm and a leg to get one?
3) ratio- i think it is 16x9, this is true right? or is the ratio smaller (1.85:1)

please answer asap...wanting info fast...
Thank you!!

------------------
"What's his number? Oh yeah! 1-800-I'm-Dating-A-Skanky-Ho!"
Willow Rosenburg
Old 07-30-00, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Sony TRV-900 mini-DV digital camcorder. It is a "prosumer" model that retails for a little under $2000. It has a 16x9 shooting mode which digitally crops the 4x3 image to the new aspect ratio. This is becoming a pretty standard feature on many of the digital camcorders (D8, DV, and mini-DV)
QUALITY - All of the digital camcorders are of generally better quality than those of the old analog format in that they record video digitally with much less noise, higher resolution, and no generational loss in editing. However these cameras can vary considerably in quality of their lenses, imaging device, focus mechanisms and other components - hence the wide range in prices.
PRICE - About the cheapest you can now get one of these cameras for is ~$700 for a D8 or mini-DV.
RATIO - The cropped ratio is truly 16x9.