Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New LCD TV - VCR turns off TV signal?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my parents the Panasonic 26" LCD HDTV (TC-L26X1). Got it all set up for them, new dvd player, hooked it up to their wall connect and found all the network channels their old 1987 TV couldn't find. So everything's great except for one thing.

My stepdad insists on keeping the VCR because that's how they tape things. Problem is, though, if the VCR is on (connected via Video 1) it kills the TV signal coming into the TV via the coax. The coax is NOT connected at all to the VCR - it goes from the wall to the TV. And yet, once the VCR gets turned on (even if they haven't changed the input to Video 1 yet) all the TV channels disappear.

My Panasonic TV doesn't do this. I have a plasma but I can't see that making a difference. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-04-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: New LCD TV - VCR turns off TV signal?

It sounds to me like you are trying to watch a channel that the vcr cannot tune to.

Technology marches on, maybe try to upgrade them to a dvr, which is far superior in every way to a vcr.
Old 01-04-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't mention whether you are using cable or over-the-air reception to watch TV. In this case, it will make a huge difference, because VCRs without digital tuners -- and that's just about all VCRs -- are no longer able to pull in over-the-air broadcasts.
Old 01-04-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Have you tried hooking the coax directly to the VCR? That's about the only other thing I would suggest, but like others have said, you might just be out of the luck because of the changing technology. It's DVR time!
Old 01-04-10, 05:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses, and perhaps I wasn't clear.

The TV connect comes in via a coax cable from the wall to the TV. (Input TV)

The VCR is hooked up separately via composite cables to the TV. (Video Input 1)

The VCR doesn't even touch any of the TV signal or any coax cable. Which is why I thought it was weird that when I turned it on it cut out the signal for the TV channels. It seems like if any signal is detected on the Video 1 line (composite) that it shuts off the TV's ability to read anything on the coax input.

So, the VCR has nothing to do with the channels that are being watched. Hopefully this addendum makes it a little clearer. Any other thoughts with the corrected info?
Old 01-04-10, 05:22 PM

And trust me, I'd love to get them into the idea of a Tivo. My mom's game, but my stepdad just can't shake his desire for a VCR ("it's so versatile!").
Old 01-04-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard
Thanks for all the responses, and perhaps I wasn't clear.

The TV connect comes in via a coax cable from the wall to the TV. (Input TV)

The VCR is hooked up separately via composite cables to the TV. (Video Input 1)

The VCR doesn't even touch any of the TV signal or any coax cable. Which is why I thought it was weird that when I turned it on it cut out the signal for the TV channels. It seems like if any signal is detected on the Video 1 line (composite) that it shuts off the TV's ability to read anything on the coax input.

So, the VCR has nothing to do with the channels that are being watched. Hopefully this addendum makes it a little clearer. Any other thoughts with the corrected info?
So are you trying to simply watch something on the vcr? Because in that configuration you wont be able to record anything.

If you are trying to watch something, I am taking a wild guess here but sometimes one port takes priority over another port. This used to happen with S-Video being connected to the same input as an RCA composite cable.

I realize that is not much help but again you are trying to make a 30 year old piece of technology work with a new tv set.
Old 01-04-10, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
If you are trying to watch something, I am taking a wild guess here but sometimes one port takes priority over another port. This used to happen with S-Video being connected to the same input as an RCA composite cable.
I guess that's what's happening. I've seen that with the S-Video and Composite before when they are both the same technical input. I just find it weird that the TV's Video 1 input would override the completely separate signal coming in on the TV's cable input.

And they're not trying to record anything. Just watch the plethora of things they've taped over the years.

Thanks for the responses though. I'll just chalk it up to something weird and not a defect with their new TV.
Old 01-04-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, check to see whether you have another composite input the VCR can use. My 32" has 2, not sure if that means anything for the next size.
Old 01-06-10, 08:25 PM

So there is another composite input on the side of the TV. I hooked it up there and sure enough, once you push play on the VCR, the cable signals disappear. Very weird.

I have now instructed my parents that to watch TV they have to make sure the VCR is off. They're fine with that, but it certainly seems like a design flaw to me.

Thanks for the help everybody.
Old 01-06-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh. I wonder if I should check mine. Although it will probably never have a composite source plugged into it.
Old 01-07-10, 12:46 AM

It sounds to me like you are trying to watch a channel that the vcr cannot tune to.

Technology marches on, maybe try to upgrade them to a dvr, which is far superior in every way to a vcr.
I face this problem with my Sharp TV and Panasonic VCR. When I connect VCR with Tv I was unable to saw clear picture. This problem was only solved when I connect my VCR through AV Cable Only.