Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sub $400 home theatre system?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sub $400 home theatre system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-00, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the topic says it all. I realize that the budget is minute compared to what most people spend on a proper home theatre system. But I'm going for the budget setup for the time being.

Any suggestions? I realize DTS is probably out of my reach within that price range. But I'm looking for high quality sound with good base etc.

BTW can you guys take a look at this thread:

I think its something all members as well as newbies can benifit from.

[This message has been edited by Finality (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old 07-07-00, 12:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

What all do you mean by home theater system. Are you saying, DVD Player, Reciever, and speakers...or what. If you don't have a dvd player already, I don't think you can get everything for under 400. But if you have one it is possible w/some low end speakers. If you would be willing to spend more, I believe there is an all in one Panasonic DVD/DD-DTS Reciever/Speakers Home Theater in a box thingy that retails for about 700. Not a bad deal for all you get.

------------------
[email protected]
Old 07-07-00, 06:50 PM

There is a Sharp Dolby Digital 5.1 system available for ~$299.00. Mercata sometimes has powerbuy sessions for it. Last year the system was going for more than twice that price. Don't know much about it, but I did order one. I figure if it really stinks I can eBay it. I have found a couple of newsgroup references to the system, and so far there have only been postive comments (although one guy complained about the subwoofer, which is apparently not strong enough for his taste). It's the DD5000 Home Theater in a Box. I think I got the model number right.
Old 07-07-00, 07:48 PM

Stoney I meant just the Recievers and speakers. I'll probably be getting a Toshiba SD1200 or 2200 for a DVD player. I can strech the budget to $1000 but I'd prefer not to. I know a High end system is going to cost me much much more. I'm actually used to listening to a nice Nakamichi and Cerwen Vega setup.

Adam I'll definetly take a look at the Sharp system. I'm having trouble finding a review on the system though any chance you have a link?

[This message has been edited by Finality (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old 07-07-00, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finality,

You will get a better system if you get the simpler player and upgrade the rest.

One question, do you have a receiver with 5.1 INPUTS??? If you do, you might be able to bring down the cost and even possibly get DTS via the Panny A-320 player spending the balance on decent addon speakers to complete the package.

If not, it might make a difference streching the budget to the number you gave. Figure 200 for the player and then spend the rest on a receiver/speaker package. That would give you two options (maximize speaker quality or receiver quality)

The energy Take 5 could be a good choice on the speaker side. Even if you had to get a cheaper receiver now, you would have sunk only a small amount into it and could upgrade the unit later. The speakers will still be good..

Since I have not demo'd lower end speakers, I will leave that for someone else to comment. If you are just looking for HT, you should be able to get a good Yamaha or Sony receiver at a reasonable price...
Old 07-08-00, 04:19 AM

Heh, I have that Sharp system, got it a year ago on auction for under 200 bucks, which surprised the hell out of me, since DD amps were usually 300 bucks or more back then. It's pretty decent for what I paid, though there is no low end at all in the speakers, the sub is a pos, I dumped that for a JBL powered sub and that helped out in the low end dept . The rest of the speakers aren't great, but they serve their purpose.

I want to upgrade it all, but stuck living in an apartment it really doesn't make sense, heh.
Old 07-08-00, 04:32 AM

Finality, your situation probably like me, I suggest you save aside some money and buy one component at a time. This is what i do, get a decent receiver and save some more money for speakers(fronts/rears/sub)...etc. You would be happier with a decent system than buying some cheap HT package. And no, DTS is not out of reach if you do what i did.
Sony receiver like the str-db830/930 model probably the most bang for your buck at 400$ or less depend on which model. I have the sony str-db930 110x5=550watts total with DD/DTS decoder built in, and all the component's connectors on the back are gold plated. All 5 channels speaker's connectors can be use with banana plug, and 2 seperate pre-out for powered subwoofers(one left/one right). You can hook 2 monoral subwoofers directly from the receiver like the sony powered sub SA-WM40. It will take awhile to complete your HT system, but it will be worth it for poor folks like us .
P.S.: if you are handy with a soldering iron, you probably can make some of component cable yourself and save yourself a few bucks. If you know what you are doing, your homemade cable probably even better than some of the cable that company like Monster cable trying to sell to the public, LOL.
Old 07-08-00, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sony S300 system includes dvd/receiver(dts) for $599. I've got it in a bedroom and love it.
Old 07-08-00, 12:10 PM

xcheckers: I haven't bought any components for the system yet. I'll probably order everything together or within the period of a week or so. Good point about the reciever/speaker option.

Like DVDAnimation said, I'm guessing my best option would be to go for a reciever for about $250-$350 and get some budget speakers and upgrade it piece by piece slowly. Besides its not the lack of money, just that I want to keep it on a budget.

I'm quite sure I won't go for a HT in a box setup seeing as it would be better getting the components piece by piece.

What cost am I looking for when going for low end speakers or something more high end like the 'take 5' model?

Obviously I woundn't mind a B&O setup its just too tempting!
Old 07-09-00, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Take 5 is not "high end" by the way.. It may be relative to your current budget, but its one of the good cheaper sets out there..

Now, others chime in please because I am not sure of the pricing on them, but I think I remember seeing about 600 for the set in these forums recently...

By the way, if it is not lack of money and the budget thing is driving you, please seriously reconsider. What you get will be dramatically better in the slightly higher price ranges.. You could get a nice sony/yammy/marantz receiver and a decent set of speakers at the $1000 level...Before you decide, listen to what you get in both price ranges.

I was in a similar situation to what you describe, but when I heard what the next level was, I decided to spend the extra bucks because I wouldn't be looking to upgrade for a long time.
Old 07-09-00, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finality: If you have a Price Club/Costco near you and have a membership or a friend with one, they are selling the HTP-209 home theatre system for 389.99. It has a decent Pioneer VSX-409 receiver (DD and DTS), 4 surround speakers, center channel speaker and subwoofer, and is rated at 600 watts total. I bought it last week, and while far from a purist's system, seems pretty good so far, and I am pleased. You might want to check it out at the Pioneer website. Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-00, 08:41 PM

Thespian68 nice find on that HTP. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the speakers bundled. But the reciever certainly looks a steal for $250 or so, especially with that DTS decoder by Yamaha.

I will have to listen to those speakers to get a feeling of what the it sounds like.

Anyone know about the quality of the sub/speakers?
Old 07-10-00, 07:07 AM

Check the Best Buy ad for this week and at the back of the ad it has a Dolby Digital receiver (pioneer) and the front speakers, surround speakers, center and a sub! (KLH) all for 199.99. Just dump the 2 front speakers and put some of yours and youll have a hell of a deal. I'm going to buy it this week cause its a hell of a deal.

[This message has been edited by neo247 (edited July 10, 2000).]
Old 07-10-00, 02:30 PM

FYI neo247, that $199 system is not Dolby Digital. The receiver is a DPL receiver. Check out Pioneerelectronics.com . Just wanted to let you know because I looked into it for my brother-in-law for his system, but decided to go with a DD reciever with DTS also. Later.