DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Small LCD TV/DVD ?

Old 10-13-09, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Small LCD TV/DVD ?

I want to buy a small TV for my room.

This is what I had in mind: http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-PT-16H610S-15-6-Inch-Portable-Dual-Hinged/dp/B0013T50UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255426210&sr=1-1

I'm used to watching dvd's and Fox tv shows on my Gateway HD monitor which is 720p at 16"x11." If it's up to atleast those standards I should be happy.

Anyways, I will be watching only regular DVDs on this tv (atleast for a long while) at about 6' to 8' feet away from it. I also need the audio to be through headphones. I noticed though that there is no headphone jack, but an HDMI audio out. Is that for headphones?

Is this tv an adequate choice? I want something small and cheap but I don't want problems or a bad picture.

Do old dvd players work fine with it? Should I make sure to get a progressive scan player?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Small LCD TV/DVD ?

I think anything you get will have the RCA connections for a DVD player. If you are buying a player I don't even know if they make non-progressive scan anymore do they? You need a headphone jack for the headphones but the player may very well have one.
Old 10-13-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 232 Likes on 192 Posts

In the Technical Details section on the page you linked to:

# Inputs: HDMI, RCA
# Outputs: Audio Out, Headphone

However, 15.6" sounds pretty small to be watching from 6-8' away.

Considering your monitor is 16x11 (which is a 19" monitor if you're excluding the bezel), this is a fair bit smaller.
Old 10-13-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the replies.

@JimRochester
A family member said that if I want, I can have their older Panasonic DVD player. If older ones play fine with LCD tv's I'll just do that. If not I will have to get the newer ones.

@andicus
I read that too, but I didn't know if maybe it was a listing mistake. I checked the TV out the other day in store and at the back I didn't see a specific "Headphone" labeled jack like the CRT's had. I'm ignorant in understanding tech details. I guess the audio out is simply for headphones too?

The watching distance is a little far. Maybe one or 2 feet would be a little better. Safe to watch that close?
Old 10-13-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something that small I doubt you'd notice a difference between different quality DVD players. It's basically like watching on a laptop.
Old 10-14-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has an audio out that is controlled by the volume, then you can use that for headphones with the appropriate wire adapter. Very simple.
Old 10-14-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 232 Likes on 192 Posts

If you click on the A/V ports image at this link: http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,120...D227619,00.asp

it appears to show a regular 1/8" jack for audio out, which I expect could be used for headphones.
Old 10-14-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it looks like a nice tv for a good price. I'm surprised it has HDMI.

I think Wal-Mart has the same model for a bit more, maybe stop by and see how it looks.
Old 12-18-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks again for your help everyone.

I finally got this tv and was very disappointed. I just wanted something small to watch my movies on and for the most part it was okay until I watched ALIENS.

The scenes that have lots of blacks (ex anything at night, or in the shadows) are not really black but a really, really dark grey and flat. Normally in the movie you can still make out the shape of things in the dark, like the xenomorphs. Here, you see bits and pieces of them that don't look connected because of the flat grey color.

Also, when I used the earphones I couldn't adjust the volume.

Then, when I press "OK" on my Phillips dvd remote or press the arrows in the same direction more than 4 times the channel goes from HDMI/or Video to a black screen and I have to press Video or HDMI to get back.

Oh, and also again, I have to be sitting DIRECTLY in front of it to view it decently. Even my Gateway LCD monitor isn't that bad.
I didn't think I would mind an inferior picture (LCD) but I was wrong. It would be cool for $50 but paying over a $100 for something that ruins the experience of Blade Runner is not worth it.

Unfortunately I can't afford to spend the extra c-note and a half for a plasma, but when I can, forget an LCD. In the meantime I might get a cheap Sony CRT. They always had a great picture and I can play old video games on it.