Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

new sub! not sure abut crossover though

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

new sub! not sure abut crossover though

Old 07-07-00, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I baught a Infinity BU 80. I know that is not the most powerful or best sub, but I live in a Condo and don't really care to bother my neighbors.

anyway there are 2 nobs on the back and one is voume and one is for the crossover frequency 50-150 now what does this actually do?
And also I have looked at the little light on
the back and sometimes it is red and other times it is green? I know that on my car amps if the light is green the amp is working at optimum levels.....now is this the same meaning.....the manual does not show this at all or explain what the mean!

my receiver is a Techincs SA DX930 if you need to know!

[This message has been edited by maloxx (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old 07-07-00, 02:51 PM

Not sure about the LED's on that sub, but I can help you with the crossover. Basically a crossover is a filter. The one on your sub will filter out frequencies above the cutoff frequency that you set, in this case somewhere between 50 and 150 Hertz. A crossover isn't a perfect filter, that is it won't completely filter out all frequencies above the cutoff frequency. It has a roll-off that varies from 6 db/Octave on cheap crossovers to 72 dB/Octave or better on really expensive ones. The higher this number the more the unwanted frequencies are attenuated. With your sub experimentation will help you fine tune what frequency sounds best. But as a very rough starting point try around 70-80 Hz if you have fairly large mains (6-8" woofers) or arond 100-120 Hz if you have smaller mains. That should put you in the ballpark and then you can fine tune it to your taste by varying the frequency and level. Hope this helps.

edited for spelling

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.

[This message has been edited by dchaug (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old 07-07-00, 03:14 PM

thanks dchaug that helps!
Old 07-07-00, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Velodyne sub, but all the others i've seen are the same, so this is probably true for yours, too:
The LED is red while the sub is in standby mode (i.e. no signal is going to the sub for a certain period of time). It is green when the sub is in operation.
On some movies that don't have alot of bass recorded in the audio track, the sub will turn off while the film is playing and will kick back on when it starts receiving a signal. This can be somewhat annoying, and most subs will have a switch that says "auto/on". If you switch that to "on", then the sub will always be on during the film. Personally, I usually leave mine in the auto mode b/c I always forget to turn it off otherwise.

HTH

------------------
Hey there, Homer. I made this chili with something extra, just for you.
I put in the merciless peppers of Quetzalsacatenango. Grown deep in the
jungle primeval by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum.
Care for a taste?

-Chief Wiggum (of the Simpsons)

DVDs..... Is there anything they can't do?
Old 07-07-00, 11:11 PM
SS

Good advice from dchaung. 80hz is usually the best crossover point. If you set it over 100 I think you will find it getting into the voice and be too punchy. You should not be able to localize the sub in the room. If you can tell where it is, it is too loud. I have found a too small sub is hard to get to blend and still make an impact.