Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions on a 20 inch tv? (with S-video)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Any suggestions on a 20 inch tv? (with S-video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-00, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 20 inch set for my bedroom. I'd like it to have S-video. The only set I've seen that has it is the new panasonic CT20D20. Does Sony make a Trinitron (non-wega) that has S-video? If they do then that's probably what I'd go with as I like the less curved screens. Thanks.
Old 07-03-00, 12:49 PM
AW

The Sony KV-20V80 has one s-video in jack. I have this set in my bedroom and am pretty happy with it. Here is a link where the set is available (onecall at $399).
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/etown-onecall/4796.html

For what it is worth, even though you said you are not interested in a Wega, rather than spending $399 for the 20V80, you might want to consider the Wega KV20FS12 available at 800.com for $349. In addition, Joe at Sound City (800-888-5343, ext. 708) might be able to beat both prices (in my experience, Sound City, and Joe in particular, almost always has the best prices on Sony video equipment).
Old 07-03-00, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I'm confused...the reason I said non-wega was because I figured they were more expensive. But the Wega KV20FS12 is $50 less then the regular trinitron? Does the Wega have an S-video input? It doesn't say at 800.com: http://www.800.com/prod.asp?T=35&C=281&p=3427
Old 07-03-00, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's some of the specs on the Wega KV-20FV10 set. The FS series is a little different, but not sure how. I'm sure it would still have an S-Video jack though. The 20FS12 is the newer model, which Sony lowered the price on. You should be able to get one for between $300-$400. The 27" Wegas are selling for $569 at Circuit City, and they have the 16x9 squeeze option! You should be able to get the 20" for much less than that price.

20" FD Trinitron® Picture Tube
Front Panel Menu Control
3 Line Digital Comb Filter
Enhanced Audio Power (5 Watts x 2)*
BBE Audio Enhancement
Matrix Surround™ Sound
Steady Sound™ Automatic Volume Control
Rear S-Video Input
Fixed/Variable Audio Out
Universal Remote Control
Velocity Modulation Scanning
Old 07-04-00, 02:52 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by naitram:
Here's some of the specs on the Wega KV-20FV10 set. The FS series is a little different, but not sure how. I'm sure it would still have an S-Video jack though<HR>

I was at a local electonic store and check out the front/back panel of this model, it does not have S-video input.

------------------
Rheuter http://www.dvdtracker.com/~rheuter.asp
Old 07-05-00, 05:32 AM
AW

The Sony Wega kv-20fv12 (MSRP $450) seems to have S-video and is available for $399 at Crutchfield (again, Sound City will be cheaper.

The following is the description from the Crutchfield web site:

Sony KV-20FV12
20" FD Trinitron® Wega™ TV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The KV-20FV12 is the picture quality benchmark for 20" TVs — at a remarkably affordable price. Sony's Wega screen is ruler-flat, both vertically, and horizontally. Colors are vivid, and images have more depth and three-dimensionality. Reflected glare from room lights is reduced, and with a wider field of vision, even viewers sitting off to the sides enjoy a great view.

Sony includes some useful extras on this 20" model, too — like SteadySound volume stabilization with BBE processing (for a consistent audio level from channel to channel), 5 favorite channel memories for quick access, plus a handy remote that operates most brands of video gear. A new version of Sony's Velocity Modulation Scanning edge enhancement lets you select one of two levels or turn it off entirely.

Key Features:

FD Trinitron picture tube
3-line digital comb filter
Velocity Modulation Scanning (selectable)
MTS stereo reception
Steady Sound automatic volume control with BBE processing
181-channel tuner
V-Chip parental control
on-screen menus in English, Spanish or French
multibrand remote
sleep timer
1 rear-panel A/V input (composite video and S-video)
1 front-panel A/V input (composite video)
fixed or variable audio outputs
5 watts x 2 of audio power
22-1/4"W x 18-3/8"H x 20-1/2"D
warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor, 2 years parts on the picture tube

Item # In Stock List Price Our Price #15820FV12 Yes $450.00 $399.95

Old 07-07-00, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How much more is it for the 24" wega? I know they make one but I can't find it anywhere.
Old 07-07-00, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Circuit City has them. I don't know how much they are, but it can't be much more. Heck, the 27" is only $569.