Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

LED vs Plasma

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED vs Plasma

I am finally ready to move into the world of HD and had for a long time decided on a plasma set (most likely a panasonic). Since that time the LED tvs have become available and I've heard many good things about the picture quality and black levels of LED.
Can anyone recommend on type over the other? I'm not too concerned about price here, I just want the best picture quality in a 40" - 42" set.
Old 10-01-09, 11:19 AM

Re: LED vs Plasma

Too many issues with LED/LCD -- viewing angle, clouding, flashlighting, motion problems. Burn-in/IR is largely a thing of the past with plasmas and they produce a much more natural picture. Not sure what price range/size you're looking at, but I recently ordered a Panasonic P58V10, 58" plasma for just under $2100 (waiting on delivery). Nothing but rave reviews for this unit.

Go to avsforum.com and do some research.
Old 10-01-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by neilo13
I am finally ready to move into the world of HD and had for a long time decided on a plasma set (most likely a panasonic). Since that time the LED tvs have become available and I've heard many good things about the picture quality and black levels of LED.
Can anyone recommend on type over the other? I'm not too concerned about price here, I just want the best picture quality in a 40" - 42" set.
Just to be clear, you are referring to the new Samsung LCD tv's with LED backlighting? If so, I would go with the Panasonic Plasma's due to the lower cost.

As far a picture quality alot of that will depend on the source material, ambient light in the room, viewing distance etc.
Old 10-01-09, 01:23 PM

I'm doing some research now on the topic, thanks for the advice so far.

This will be used in the living room, which does have a large window. I have a crt in the same spot now and am use to the glare, and have blinds to close if it really bothers me.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 10-01-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Plasma for the picture quality, viewing angles, and bang for your buck. I love the thinness of the new LED TVs, admittedly.

I have a 58" and 42" Panasonic plasmas in the family room & master bedroom, respectively.
Old 10-01-09, 03:50 PM

I just want the best picture quality in a 40" - 42" set.
If the dimensions (40-42") are what you want or what fits, then I think it would make the most sense to go plasma as your viewing distance could become your limiting factor. I would recommend the TCP42S1 or the TCP42G10/G15. There are differences between the two (THX, VieraCast (Internet Connectivity).

LED-lit televisions are pretty cool to look at in stores but their price and their "flaws" that Jeff pointed may not be right for you. I loved selling them back when I worked retail because, believe me, they are marked up BIG TIME especially compared to plasma. Keep in mind that you're also paying for the narrow depth. Personally, I would only consider LED if I wanted to wall mount it, etc. Also, the Samsung LEDs have only one component/composite input, if I am recalling correctly. That might be a factor as well - what sources are you using? In my unprofessional opinion, plamsa will be more forgiving on non-HD sources than an LED.

Another plus - with the money you'll save by going plasma, you'll have plenty left over to get or upgrade a decent sound system, BD player, surge suppressor, HD cable/sat. etc.

PS: Research is key! Try and have a good idea on what you want and for what price you want it at before going to purchase. Keep in mind that Black Friday and all that jazz is right around the corner.

PPS: I know I said research is key but please keep in mind that EVERY TV has its quirks and problems. I spent hours at AVS forums researching receivers and I was nearly freaking out because there seemed to be problems with all of them. Yes, research is great but don't get too absorbed into the technical jargon and 0.5% chance that your TV will become evil and kill the family pet. With that said, Panasonic does seem to have the best customer support in the business.

Last edited by beesonosu; 10-01-09 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm doing some research now on the topic, thanks for the advice so far.

This will be used in the living room, which does have a large window. I have a crt in the same spot now and am use to the glare, and have blinds to close if it really bothers me.

Keep the comments coming.
I have my 58" Panasonic on the wall directly opposite a large window. I do have a room darkeing shade for sunny summer afternoons when the sun is shining right on it. Since I don't often watch TV on summer afternoons I don't use it that often.
Old 10-01-09, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

If cost is no factor, and you want the best picture...then I have but one word...KURO!
Old 10-02-09, 07:22 AM

I would get a Kuro, but they do not come in the size I am looking for and I am limited by what will fit in the room.

Does anyone know the differences between the TCP42G10 and G15? I don't see much of a difference looking at the specs.
Old 10-02-09, 01:25 PM

I thought the main difference (or the only difference) was that the G15 was slimmer than the G10. Perhaps I was wrong? Here are the specs directly from Panasonic....you'll likely find your answer buried somewhere in AVS as well.

G15 Specs

G10 Specs
Old 10-02-09, 09:03 PM

I too would have recommended a KURO but your right they don't make a 40-42" TV. If there is anyway you can jump up to a 50" you would get a great tv for a great price.

If you can't I would go with a Panny G10. I don't think there is a real big difference between the G10 and the G15 other than I believe the G15 is slightly thinner. I wouldn't bother paying extra for the V series(even though it's a better tv) because in a 40-42" TV you won't see any benefit with that size TV.