Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC XV-501 and Incompatible DVD's

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

JVC XV-501 and Incompatible DVD's

Old 06-22-00, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far I've found two DVD's that simply are not recognized by my JVC (and I've tried multiple copies of each). They are:

Neil Young, Silver and Gold
The McGarrigle Sisters, Concert Hour

Many questions:

1. Has anyone else had this experience with their JVC?

2. Are there other DVD's I shouldn't bother to buy because they are incompatible?

3. Has JVC done anything about a bug fix?

Thanks in advance,
- Mitch

Old 06-22-00, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Cruel Intentions" is another dvd that this player has a problem playing back.
Old 06-23-00, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
On mine when I try to watch The Insider it messes up starting at chapter 18 everytime. In the shop now hopefully not to be fixed so I can get rid of that piece of crap.
Old 06-23-00, 03:15 PM

Let me add Eurythmics "Peacetour" to the list. *Crap*. Does any other player have
such "incompatibilities"?

BTW: Your problem with "The Insider" sounds
different. For the DVD's I mentioned, the
player doesn't even recognize the disk and
simply ejects.
Old 06-23-00, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The not "recognizing the disk" problem I had on a copy of 6th Sense. It worked fine in my DVD-Rom but the JVC would just eject it. Got a different copy which it was able to read however it did skip it's way through much of the movie.
Old 06-24-00, 10:47 PM

My JVC 501 started doing all the same things. It didn't matter which movie I put it. Sometimes it would work for a little while, sometimes just eject it out right. Anyway it was going to be an expensive repair and alot of people have had the same problem fixed it and it still didn't work. I wasn't going to deal with it. I just bought a new Sony just to replace it and the upside was that the picture and sound were obviously much, much better. So at least I got something out of having to replace that piece of crap. If you are ready to have your heart riped out go to audioreview.com and look at the reviews for the 501. It will almost make you want to cry.
Old 06-25-00, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine back yesterday from Best Buy and it played The one part one The Insider that I knew it wasn't playing before(chapter 18) so I guess it's fixed for now(damn). Still haven't tried watching a full movie on it so we'll see. The thing that upset me was that on the service paper they said the the repar preformed was "showed customer how to properly use machine". What the hell is that, most of those people there don't know a DVD player from a VCR and probably still call DVD's "those movies on the CD's?" Oh and Orlando I went and read the reviews and I did fell like my heart was ripped out. Everybody had the exact same problems as me and the funny thing is that if you read the older reviews people thought it was a good player.
Old 06-26-00, 02:25 AM

The JVC 701 has the same problem. The safe thing to do is stay away from JVC. The best part is that JVC will not even admit to a problem. Boy do they suck. Got rid of my JVC 701 for a Tosh. No problems any more !!!
Old 06-26-00, 05:24 PM

Timber - I didn't get a chance to write a review earlier, but I too would have been one to give it a great review back then. But then it's ugly head appeared. But I have an even bigger problem with a major amount of guilt to deal. When I first got it. I convinced a really good friend on mine to get it as well.
Now I have to deal with when his blows up and how to apologize for giving him such bad advice.
Old 06-26-00, 06:37 PM

Well, add me to the chorus of those who swear off JVC products from here on in. I tried to call their Tech support line and was on hold for an hour before I gave up. Those folks at JVC ought to get a clue that the 'Net makes our complaints about their products/service VERY LOUD. Any JVC management reading this?

Just ordered the Toshiba SD 1200 from Mobshop for
Old 06-26-00, 07:23 PM

BRAVO !!!! Michy44 I too use mine as a paper weight. I also have warned my friends to stay away from JVC dvd players. First off they donít care even when you get them on the line. Do they think that we are all stupid. They know about all the problems but simply do not care. The same goes for all the stores that sell their crappy dvd players.
Old 06-27-00, 02:34 PM
Cool New Member

I've had the 501 for about 6 months now. I think its a fair player. Have only had a problem with Cruel Intentions which was not the fault of the player but of the dvd. If you search back a bit you should find messages about the movie being rereleased to fix its problems.
Old 06-27-00, 07:31 PM

There are many more dvd's that the 701 has had problems with: idle hands, Arlington Road, The story of us etc. The main thing and my complaint is that JVC knows that they have a problem with their players be it a 501 or a 701 and they fail to accept it. The reset that they recommend sometimes doesnít even work. After Arlington road screwed it up. Then it starts on all your dvd's. To me they should own up to it and admit the problems. Even the stores that you buy it from donít care.

[This message has been edited by patrckpiteo (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old 06-28-00, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had two 701s and the one I have now seems to be ok. It can act up if I send it quick commands while it is in slo-motion and I did have to reboot it a couple of days ago when a power transformer blew up (quite an explosion).

So unless something really goes wrong, this will have to do until the next "big thing" comes along. 480i to 480p is not the next big thing, for me.

Orlando, which Sony model had a better picture and better sound?
Old 06-28-00, 03:40 PM

LtlPhysics - It is the Sony 560D. I got it at a really good price. (A Friend works for Sony so I won't say how much as it is an unrealistic price for someone who doesn't work there.) But for about $250.00 on the web it can be had. I just got it so I wouldn't have to deal with JVC's crappy service. I put it in and even my wife (who could care less) said Wow it looks and sounds so much better. I highly recommend it. It doesn't have a Zoom but what the bit rate/laser display I don't care. I can't tell you how cool it is to know exactly what layer and what spot on the disc the laser is at.
Old 07-03-00, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Orlando, I will have to make a trip to a brickstore.

A note to those who haven't tossed your 701's into the river; my 701 runs very warm. I have been putting it through its paces with "Contact", a dvd which may have had a few bad batches. It does everything I tell it to with very little fuss. It is sitting on top of a box (everything is on top of something) and perhaps your players may be overheating. Just a thought.

This in no way excuses JVC for it bad customer service. Their customer service was great before they started making dvd players.
Old 07-04-00, 12:03 PM

It ain't the heat..... It's the software...
I got them to pay half to fix this 701 door stop. Again they refuse to admit to a real problem. All they tell you is to reboot. We should alll band together to tell them to fix their product unless they want to go out of the dvd player market all together.
Old 07-04-00, 04:17 PM

Well, my Toshiba arrived yesterday and guess what? All of my "incompatible DVD's" work just fine.

My plan now is to tell everyone within earshot of what a load of crap JVC products and customer service are. On days off, I'll pass by Best Buy and Circuit City and pass the word to browsing customers. I'll post in every bulletin board and write letters to every Home Theatre rag that I can think of. Hell hath no fury like a (net-savvy) consumer scorned.

Nice knowing you JVC.

- Mitch