Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD players with quiet transports

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD players with quiet transports

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-00, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a spin-off from Evolution's post on DVD players layer switching ability, let's talk about transports that are near-silent and transports that drives you nuts. I feel that many people overlook this aspect of performance. What could be more annoying then the whirling sounds of the transport during quiet dialogues? I had the very first Toshiba model, and it was noisy. My current work-horse, the 2108, is fairly well-behaved, but occasionally, the noise is slightly audible from 10ft away.

Sony has just introduced a new model, the 570D: A slim, silver machine with onboard DD decoding (I think DTS, too!). To my eyes, this is by a landslide, the best looking DVD ever! However, its fatal flaw is a transport that I could hear from around an aisle at a large electronic chain store. Imagine how loud it would be at home!!??!?! BTW, it was playing The Matrix. God, I hope it was a flawed sample, because this is a NICE player.

What kind of players do you guys have? And how are the tranports?
Old 07-01-00, 04:43 AM
Topgun94

I just bought the Sony S360 and it is very loud. I have gotten used to it though and really don't notice it unless I think about it. The S300 I used before was very quiet.
Old 07-01-00, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Sony 7700. They are built with a front panel that automatically lifts up and covers the DVD tray during play. A very cool feature that minimizes the sound of the DVD spinning around to damn near nothing. You have to have your ear right up on it to here it spinning.

[b]

------------------
Now Playing
Old 07-01-00, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I briefly had a Pioneer ld/dvd combination player, probably the last of its kind, and it had chirps that would kill. I piled comforters and quilts on top of it, just to see what it would take to shut it up.

Now I'm using a JVC 701 and it chirps a little with an occasional tick while it manuevers around, but once it has settled down it is quiet and it is closer to me than the tv.

But many people here loathe JVC because of some very bad customer service and lots of problems with the 501 and 701. Mine must be unique.
Old 07-03-00, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the Sony DVP-S300 and it is very quiet. Infact I don't even notice any noise when it is playing a DVD.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.