Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Difference between dolby digital and DTS?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Difference between dolby digital and DTS?

Old 06-29-00, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Toshiba 2109. I was wondering what version of Jaws to buy? T
Old 06-29-00, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

DTS is a high quality compression (ie: more data) than DD. The draw back is the data takes more space on the disk. In some cases the extras are removed to make room for the less compressed data. This is simplified but gives you the basic idea.
Old 06-29-00, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would my dvd player play both?
Old 06-29-00, 10:44 PM
BEC

Depends on your receiver. The 2109 w/pass a digital DD or DTS signal. Your receiver needs a DD/DTS decoder to get DD/DTS.
Old 06-29-00, 11:01 PM

Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks are mixed seperately/diffrently. There will almost always be a diffrence in sound between the two because of this (Jaws was not originally 5.1 so it may be mixed identically).

Which is better is almost always a subjective call. Most people either prefer DTS or can't really tell the diffrence.
Old 06-30-00, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer DTS over DD...DTS has a cleaner sound and seems to produce better sound out of the rear surround speakers!!! You are seeing more extras on DTS discs these days so I usually do not care if the DTS version is lacking an extra or two in relation to the DD version.
Old 06-30-00, 03:14 AM
Topgun94

Jaws is not a surround sound movie, so this is one were I don't have a preference. DTS usually sounds better, but since this soundtrack is being remastered for 5.1 sound they will probably both sound about the same. I look for DTS more with movies like the upcoming Jurassic Park. That is one movie I will give up a few extras with to get the DTS sound.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 06-30-00, 07:52 AM

DTS uses a higher bit rate than DD. This is of disadvantage because it takes up more space, therefore, making a disc have less extra features than a DD version. Basically it's all about taste. Some people say that DTS is better and some people say that there is no difference. It has to be heard in order to deteremine. I here no difference, other than the higher volume. I prefer DD, sounds great and you get the extra features a DVD should have.
Old 06-30-00, 11:00 AM

Get the DTS version of Jaws. The extras are the same, and the DTS disc will also contain a normal Dolby Digital track on it (although it will not be 5.1) so you can still hear sound, even if you do not have a DTS decoder.

The only circumstance where this would change is if you had a reciever that could only decode Dolby Digital. In that case, get the Dolby Digital version.

DD (Dolby Digital) is a compression format for audio. It can support between 1 (mono) and 6 (surround sound) channels on a track. Exactly the same for DTS (Digital Theater Sound). DTS compresses the audio significantly less than Dolby Digital, which gives sound engineers more headroom to create more "alive" soundtracks, i.e. with richer detail. This does not mean all DTS tracks are better, some can be encoded badly, however in my experience, all the DTS tracks I've heard have been noticebly superior in sound quality.

Compare DD to DTS by say listening to an MP3 encoded at 128kbps to an MP3 encoded at 320kbps, on some good speakers, not tinny, small computer ones.

Cheers,
Mal
Old 07-01-00, 01:18 AM

DTS Just Sounds Better...

------------------
Toshiba SD-2109, Luxman Amp. NEC Pro-Logic Processor... I want 5.1!!!
HELP! I'M TRAPPED IN A 14 YR. OLDS' BODY!!!!!!