Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Speaker advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-00, 09:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am more than likely going to be getting the Kenwood HTB503 and am wondering about speaker setup. I currently have a fairly powerful pair of tower speakers hooked up to my stereo reciever. My question is should I use those instead of the small 2-ways or should I use the Kenwood as is?

Also, what are the big differences between the 2-ways and the full-range speakers with the Kenwood.

------------------
DVD-ROM Forum Moderator -- (Member since 02/12/99)
> [email protected] < - > [email protected] <
>DVD-ROM Tips and Tricks< - >MyWebSite< - >MyList<
Old 06-26-00, 02:01 AM

If it were me I'd use your towers as your mains. Then I'd use the larger 2-ways that the Kenwood system supplies as surrounds (if you have space for them). Then use the Kenwood center channel and just not use the small cube rears at all. I'm not sure about this but I'd assume they are just a 2-4" full-range speaker, whereas the larger ones with that system are 4-5" woofers with a separate tweeter. The 2-ways are going to give you better frequency response which is obviously important, thos little cubes just can't hack playing a full-range signal at more than a moderate volume (as in DD/DTS). Just my opinion.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.
Old 06-27-00, 11:55 PM
Mod Emeritus

From what you're saying, I'm guessing the small speakers would go in the back. I thought the small speakers would be in front. With the way my room is setup, the towers would have to stay in the back as there'd be no room in front.

------------------
DVD-ROM Forum Moderator -- (Member since 02/12/99)
> [email protected] < - > [email protected] <
>DVD-ROM Tips and Tricks< - >MyWebSite< - >MyList<
Old 06-28-00, 01:34 PM

Ideally yes the larger towers should be used as your fronts. And then the smaller speakers would be your rears, but if your room layout doesn't allow that you could use all of the kenwood cubes and then hook up the towers to the "B" set of outputs on your reciever and use the towers only for music. Then you could put those towers wherever they fit. If you have more questions post or email me. Sorry about not responding again for so long.

------------------
People say nothing is forever. If that's true how do you explain herpes or the Greatful Dead. I say forever is for people who got the balls to make it last.

[This message has been edited by dchaug (edited June 28, 2000).]