Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide between these 3 DVD players

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please help me decide between these 3 DVD players

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-00, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok I think I have finally decided between the
Apex AD600A
Pioneer 525
Toshiba SD1200

I want to keep it at or under $200 and I like the features of the Apex being able to play mp3s. The thing is I can't find them anywhere. So where is the best place to buy that particular model. I don't care about the region thing.
Old 06-23-00, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the SD1200 & enjoy it very much. It seems to handles layer changes fine on all my DVD's except the ones made by Universal. With the Universal one I notice the pause. With other studios DVDs I don't notice the change at all. Got it for 160 @ mobshop.com about 3 months ago. You can checkout audioreview.com to see what others think about all the models you are considering. Whichever way you go enjoy your new toy

------------------
My growing DVD list
Old 06-23-00, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Pioneer 525 and like it just fine. Some have complained about the remote but I think they're being a little picky...
Old 06-23-00, 10:18 PM
Topgun94

I liked the Pioneer 525, but either that or the Toshiba 1200 are good players. Do Not buy an Apex 600A. The picture quality is horrible and the players easily overheat. They were only worth it for the ability to play any region and disable macrovision, but those features have been removed from the new units.

------------------
Aaron
"I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous"
DVD Laserdisc Videogames
Old 06-23-00, 11:34 PM
BEC

I'd agree w/Topgun94: Apex does not give quality video performance and it is not as reliable as the other two you listed. Not all DVD players deliver the same picture quality, particularly at the entry level.

There are also frequent reports of skipping, lock-up, or no play for the Apex. It won't have problems on every disk, maybe 1 out 10 or so - more frequently than 1 out of 100. The other 2 players rarely have hick ups. For mp3 w/an Apex, you will be making a compromise in 2 areas that most people value highly.

The 525 and 2109/1200 have been VERY reliable.

The 525: plays cd-r/w, excellent picture quality, good anamorphic conversion- good on regular 4:3 screen, lousy remote, lousy scanning (FF&R), fairly loud disk noise

1200: very good to excellent picture quality, ok anamorphic conversion (jagged)- better suited for a widescreen TV or small screen where conversion artifacts are less noticable, lousy remote (1200 is better than the 2109), smooth scans, zoom, quieter transport noise

For $225-$250, two excellent choices are the new Sony 360 and Pioneer 333. Hard to say about reliability for new items, but so far there haven't been alot of "my player sucks" posts for these guys.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited June 23, 2000).]
Old 06-24-00, 01:31 AM

I'd go with the pioneer 525, as it is a solid player that has yet to trouble me in any regard. Playing cdrs is also a nice touch . As for the apex, its a decent unit for a secondary player, but like cheaper dvd players or dvdroms you may have finicky problems with the odd dvd. My apex exhibits none of the problems that are frequently whined about (which are in reality far overblown).